• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

will this load put a pig down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok guys help a newbee out i am going pig hunting with my magbolt ml will be using a 300 grain xtp with 100 grains of blackpowder wil this put a pig down :curse:
dave

A .22 caliber bullet will put a pig down if you hit it in the right place...

Shot placement is the key to taking anything down, a 300 grain bullet will do a ton of damage, especially a hollow point...

I would suggest you carry a back-up gun, (6 shot .44 magnum prefered) hey, you could miss and have 300 pounds of ticked-off hog charge you... :shocking:

By the way, how fast can you reload? :winking:

The load you chose should kill the hog without too much concern, providing you shoot it in the right area...

Of course a 300 grain bullet and 100 grains of gee-whiz will drop porky, IF you put the bullet in the boiler room.
Now don't get me wrong, they can be plenty hard to put down and I HAVE been charged by a ticked off boar.
I'd second the suggestion from Musketman that you carry a large bore revolver just in case your shot goes off it's mark.
You CAN'T reload a front stuffer quickly enough if you get charged.
Carry the revolver or practice your tree climbing skills. :haha:

How far do you plan to shoot? Within 100y you should have no problem dropping a pig. Just make sure you hit it in the right spot.

ok ty guys i am not sure yet if i will use my smokepole yet or not but i am thankfull for your info

dave

Dave, I've killed hogs with such things as a .22 Rimfire, 22.250, .410 slug, 6MM, 7MM Mag, couple of .30 calibers, 45-70, .50 Caliber roundball, 12 gauge buckshot, and 12 gauge slug. Yes, the load and bullet you are planning on using will kill a hog, but don't expect the hog to go down in its tracks. Like these fellows have all said, bullet placement is the key to cleanly killing a hog. Even when you hit them in the right spot. Sometimes they drop in their tracks. Sometimes they run like crazy. And yes sometimes they will even charge you! In 35 years of hunting hogs I have had only one actually charge me. That one, I hit in a bad spot with the first shot. I was shooting a 405 gr bullet from a 45-70. :)

Dave: If you're still not quite sure about the load on hogs, Easter is comming around, take the ham your wife was planning on serving and pop a round through it... :haha: :winking:

You can always tell her that you are deboning it... :haha: ::

Take it from me Musketman..... Shooting a live hog in the ham is really not a good thing to do!(see above post by Ironwood) So your test would be pointless, if not dangerous, and would probably make his wife about as mad as the hog would be if you shot it in the ham! No matter how you slice it, it's a looser! :D

Try wading in amongst the dogs while they have the boar cornered and stick him with a knife. That's the way my grand father did it in Hawaii. Personally, I like the big gun idea. HEHE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Speaking of shot placement, some people say hogs should be shot in the neck (best place) or low just behind the shoulder (second best place). Is that true?

I've only shot one hog. Range was about 40yards, and load was a .50 cal PRB & 90gr of pyrodex. The ball broke a rib in its way in, went thru both lungs (missed the heart), broke another rib on the far side and stopped in the layer of fat, under the hide. The hog ran like crazy into some thick vegetation. I had a hard time tracking it because there was no blood trail. In the end I found it dead about 100 yards away from the place where I shot it. The hog weighed just shy of 150 lbs at the check station.

Can't wait to go hog hunting again. I'm planning on using a .50 cal in-line this year. I still need to try some bullets & loads to see what works in my rifle.

Vanstg

vanstag brought up a good point. Hogs don't leave much of a blood trail.

I've killed a few hogs and all but one of them were taken with the same rifle, my 45-90 Shiloh Sharps. 480 gr. cast bullet over 80 grs. of GOEX Ctg. Most ran about 20 yards and piled up and one fell in his tracks and stayed there. The single hog I didn't kill with my 45-90 was taken with an 1886 Winchester in 40-82. That hog covered about 200 yards and it was tough trailing.

Your load is more than adequate if, as nearly eveyone has said, you put the bullet in the right place. Heart/lung is still the best shot there is.....neck shot is too "iffy" if you don't hit it the spine. That's my opinion!

If you haven't hunted hogs before you WILL enjoy it!!!!

Vic

Hunt hogs with a muzzleloader about every year. I like big bullets with moderate powder charges as ranges of less than 60 yards... say in a 400+ grain conical or a 300+ grain sabot with 85 to 95 grains of propellant. I like to shoot them in the lower shoulder and break them down. If facing head on I like to aim at the shoulder just off the point of the ear. Bullet will either range down through the heart or along the spine. Best bullets for me are the Buffalo conical, T/C Maxi-bullet or Maxi-hunter, White Powerpunch, and Precision Rifle .50 430-grain hollow point. We hunt a lot in West Texas and tracking them can be difficult since they sometimes don't bleed a lot and tracks can be confusing in dry soil/heavy traffic areas. Big conicals tend to put them right down or screw them up enough that they can't go very far.

ok guys went to the range with seabot in question lowered the blackpowder to 90grains grouped really welll for me still not sure i will use the smokepole this trip may use a 303 instead tell i see the layout will post pics even if i dont do the smokepole thanks for all the help hope i can get this shot placement donw i have been told shoulder shot is best so thats where i will be aiming so now i just wait for the 16th to roll around

dave

Dave, You hear a lot about how hard pigs are to kill but I've killed a lot of them and never found that to be true.
Here's a pic that may be sideways and kinda dark but it's a pretty big pig and killed with one shot from a 4" .357. 158 lead cast bullet.

PIG.jpg

I use a .50 cal Hawken with a .490 patched round ball on top of 80 grain of FFFg. i have no problen dropping a hog with it. As everyone has said shot placement is everything. I carry a .45 auto as a back up and keep a good climing tree close. good luck

Back