• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking like is the Uberti metallury more susceptible to cracking when brittle?

🤔 Where in the world did that thought come from Captain? That's the first I've ever heard anything about that. I've been shooting Italian replica's since '72, have read numerous books and articles on them, have been on alot of forums, and have read alot of internet this and that about Uberti's (and all repo's) and have never heard anything about Uberti's or any other manufacturer's metal becoming brittle in cold weather and susceptible to cracking. Is that some internet rumor of some kind? I've had both Uberti percussion and conversion revolvers (and Pietta's) out in below freezing weather, even when the temp is below 0* or hovering a bit above without any problems. Sometimes things like that get started when one (1) shooter is out in below freezing weather and has a problem and attributes it to the temperature. I'm sure if Uberti's metal cracks in freezing weather when shooting then there would be alot of talk about it. None of the big name book/magazine writers have ever said one word about Uberti (or any other brand) having metal crack/fatigue caused by cold weather shooting. I'd have to see further details/proof of the condition before believing any of it.

I'm sure if Uberti's metal cracks in freezing weather when shooting then there would be alot of talk about it. None of the big name book/magazine writers have ever said one word about Uberti (or any other brand) having metal crack/fatigue caused by cold weather shooting. I'd have to see further details/proof of the condition before believing any of it.
I never said it happened, could or has happened. But everyone says about the weak metallurgy of the Italian pistols, so i asked.

I never said it happened, could or has happened. But everyone says about the weak metallurgy of the Italian pistols, so i asked.
I checked on the receiver steel alloy used by Uberti for their single shot rifles at one time from a distributor and he said it was the equivalent of 8620 American grade AISI gun quality steel that can be case hardened. I have no verification that is what is used in revolver frames but it would follow logically I believe when a company buys steel lots requiring the same properties.
The only steel alloy I know of used in gun barrel manufacture that is susceptible to cold temperature fracture is 12L14 leaded steel which has very low hoop stress strength effected by cold weather and yet its used to this day by some prominent barrel makers because of it's good machine properties and the low pressure generated by black powder and substitute use.
I don't know if that is the barrel steel used by Pietta or Uberti but I have never seen or heard of a revolver frame or barrel failing (blowing up) for any reason with normal loading. I have seen and was present when a 12L14 barrel split from a short started ball using a normal load while being used at an indoor range. This would not have happened if gun barrel quality steel like 1134 or 4140-50 barrel quality alloy steel was used.

I was thinking like is the Uberti metallury more susceptible to cracking when brittle?

OK, but the way you penned it impressed me as though it was something that was told to you or you read somewhere and you were asking anyone if it was something anyone was aware of or had heard about. Back in 2010 I walked along a local river in early February one Sunday afternoon shooting a Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon and a Uberti conversion (44 Colt) (all black powder) firing quite a few rounds, firing at whatever targets seemed in need of shooting (rocks, chunks of wood, clods of dirt) and had no problems then or ever. The air temp was -12* F, I was out of the wind. I recall this as the next day I traveled to Fort Jackson South Carolina for my son's graduation from Army boot camp, my wife had advised me I was nuts for going out in that temp. Survived. Still have and shoot both revolvers.

If you still have a nagging doubt, go look at past posts by 45D. He's definitely pushed a few ubertis hard (20,000 psi+) with that modern, fad, "S" propellant and bullets wearing copper diapers. That should remove any doubts. The ubertis are good guns.

I use TC bore butter, a little dab over the ball. It gets hard when cold. I will keep inside jacket.

No need to use lube over the balls, I use felt wads between powder and ball and have fire thousands of rounds and never had a chain fire. Bore Butter is hard in winter and running in summer.

Where I live in NH 35-40 is a balmy day. So no worry about the metal.
I am 71 yrs old and the only firearm that failed in the cold for me was with a modern shotgun, an 870 broke the firing pin and spring. It was on a -40degree night 1/2 way thru a 25-round event.

New pin and spring from Brownell's the gun still working great. I stopped spraying it down with Rem lube cleaning it in the winter and it's been 25 Years since it happened.

No need to use lube over the balls, I use felt wads between powder and ball and have fire thousands of rounds and never had a chain fire. Bore Butter is hard in winter and running in summer.
I'm going to test some bear grease I rendered from a black bear harvest in both lube recipe and base pin/arbor function. Seems to work very well in the lube replacing the Neats foot oil but still need to try it on the arbor and base pin of my revolvers in both summer and winter.
Ned Roberts proclaimed it was most excellent as both lube and preservative for cap lock rifle use.

I'm going to test some bear grease I rendered from a black bear harvest in both lube recipe and base pin/arbor function. Seems to work very well in the lube replacing the Neats foot oil but still need to try it on the arbor and base pin of my revolvers in both summer and winter.
Ned Roberts proclaimed it was most excellent as both lube and preservative for cap lock rifle use.

Go for it, good luck

Back