• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

winter patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffffg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i got tired of trying to get tc lube out of the tube yesterday, so i tried some hoppes gun oil.. it shoot better than the tc lube in that case at that temp with that load.. could have been other factors.. but what do you guys use for winter lube?.. i cant get bear oil.. dave..

olive oil, bee's wax, and lard. 1/3[url] each....in[/url] the winter, I use a little more olive oil. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I can't remember if I invented this mix, or got it from someone else. Deer tallow works fine too.

Last edited by a moderator:
ffffg said:
i got tired of trying to get tc lube out of the tube yesterday, so i tried some hoppes gun oil.. it shoot better than the tc lube in that case at that temp with that load.. could have been other factors.. but what do you guys use for winter lube?.. i cant get bear oil.. dave..

FWIW, I've recently begun experimenting with Hoppe's No.9 BP PLUS solvent & patch lube for use on very dry winter days and it's been fantastic.

I used to nuke more NL1000 lube onto a bag of patches so they'd have enough extra lube to keep shooting a full range session on dry days, but the Hoppe's BP PLUS is even easier to use than the microwave.

I just squirt a little onto the NL1000 patches I normally use...let them sit overnight, then shoot all the way through a range session like it was July with high humidity.

Most of the faithful here are using Ballistol and water, about 3-1. Keep it in a spray bottle and use it lightly on your patching. Really works, keeps the fouling managable and cleans up right quick. :thumbsup:
Kevin

1 oz bees wax, 3 oz peanut oil and one table spoon ProLong engine treatment. Melt together, apply your fovorite way, and squeege or press out as much as possible. All around good lub. for range try good old go-jo hand cleaner!! :thumbsup:

I have used mink oil, comes in a can kinda like a paste. It seems to work ok. Does not seem to freeze up like borebutter or wonderlube does.

I just tuck the tube inside my shirt. If some folk think you look a little peculiar with your right hand tucked inside your clothes, just learn to develop a Napoleonic scowl. :cursing: graybeard

Bore Butter year-round. The trick seems to be pre-lubing the patches rather than doing it in the field with the tube.
Black Hand

I use either T/C or Ox-Yoke precut patches. I stack them like a roll of coins and lay them on their side in a small metal tin. Then I melt CRISCO SHORTENING to just short of smoking. I pour it in the tin and slowly over the patches. I'll take a toothpick and flake the patches to ensure they are soaked through. When it's cooled enough to handle, I take short stacks, stand up on the ends and press down with the heel of my palm to squeeze out the excess Crisco. I usually do this on a piece of scrap 2X4 and have it slanted to let oil run away from the patches. I stack them tall and store them in zip locks in the refrigerator. As I need them, I peel enough to put into a percussion cap tin (perfect size for your patch container). You can store them in the tins if you prefer just treat the tin with the crisco to prevent rusting. The nice thing is they peel off to use. I haven't had them freeze on me and they slide right down the barrel. If you have them in and out of the heat or warmer temps for any period of time, they may get rancid and moldy.

You will get better accuracy shooting shooting patches you cut at the muzzle with a patch knife, than using pre-cut patches. They are difficult to center, and keep centered as you seat the ball, and if the patching is crooked, you will have a ball go out of the group. Get Dutch Schoultz's System, at www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy,com. I use Wonder Lube 1000 in the winter, but have used moose milk( make from 2 ox. water soluable oil, 1 oz. liquid detergent, and 1 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide, mixed in a quart jar with water to fill the jar. I now leave the peroxide out of the mix for storage, as the peroxide is unstable and will creat gas that can blow up your bottle, even in the winter. I pour small quanties of moose milk into a smaller bottle for my possible bag, and add a couple of drops of Hydrogen Peroxide to the smaller bottle. When it is 10 degrees or colder, use an oil based lube, and not moosemilk. I like the wonder lube 1000 because it doesn't seem to dry or cake, as do some of the compounds using beeswax, or parafin, or some other waxes. Clean with isopropol alcohol, rather than spit, too. YOu can just soak your patch material in water soluable oil and let it dry for a good winter lube, too. I have heard of people having good luck with Ballistol, but have not yet tried it. some of the synthetic oils for cars should also work.

paulvallandigham said:
"...You will get better accuracy shooting shooting patches you cut at the muzzle with a patch knife, than using pre-cut patches..."

I can't tell if you're repeating this from having read it somewhere, or if it unfortunately represents your experience, but to clarify, it cannot be stated as an absolute across the board.

I've used a few thousand commercially precut patches now, as well as some home made/precuts in both round and square shapes...and I've never had any accuracy issues because patches were precut.
:v

roundball said:
paulvallandigham said:
"...You will get better accuracy shooting shooting patches you cut at the muzzle with a patch knife, than using pre-cut patches..."

I can't tell if your repeating this from having read it somewhere, or if it unfortunately represents your experience, but to clarify, it cannot be stated as an absolute across the board.

I've used a few thousand commercially precut patches now, as well as some home made/precuts in both round and square shapes...and I've never had any accuracy issues because patches were precut.
:v

I have to agree with roundball. I have shot square patches, round patches , and patch cut at the muzzle. My rifles shoot the same 1-2 inch groups no matter how you patch the ball.

FWIW, I have fired many off-center patches out of my rifles to see just how much it will throw them off and it is not significant enough to mention.

In response to the original question, I use Bore Butter for patch lube year round with excellent results.

Huntin Dawg

I sypathise with you on cold BB in the tube.
Warm your tube up in a pot of simmering water till it melts and squirt it into a plastic jar, add a shot(+/-) of Virgin olive oil and your problem is solved.

That's what I did a couple of times before I switched to Bee's Wax and olive oil. Now I just add more oil as it gets colder outside, then more wax for the summer.

By-the-way, something to be said FOR global warming. R.I. has been close to if not in the 50 deg range for awhile now. Oil Companies hate it,,, I love it!!!! :blah:
(serves them right)

I don't know how our forefathers were ever able to shoot. I can't believe how complicated people make this. Just water and olive oil will clean and lube everything.

Swampman said:
I don't know how our forefathers were ever able to shoot. I can't believe how complicated people make this. Just water and olive oil will clean and lube everything.

I can believe that since olives were brought to America by the Spanish and Portuguese explorers during the 15th and 16th centuries...

They were introduced into California by the Franciscan missionaries in the late 18th century, so they were here...

Sweet oil (olive oil) was used at Williamsburg, and is found on dozens of trade list through out the 18th c.

Latest posts

Back