• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Won A Hawkin!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on the Hawken! You can’t tell us how nice it is without some pictures! I have won a pistol at an NRA dinner, that’s it. It was pretty exciting.

I don’t enter raffles anymore. It always seems like a friend of the person running it wins the good stuff. The local lions club raffles off a new car every year. It always seems like a young pretty girl wins it every time.

I won a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor “unmentionable” with scope a couple years back at a dove shoot. Tack driver. Three of us at the same table won guns that day. Traded it to my neighbor for a Henry lever action 22 “unmentionable”.

Failed to snag the same table for our group the next year, and the same table won a couple more guns that year. I did win a Milwaukee 20v drill set that year, tho.

My local gun club had a field day today with flea market, food, etc. A local dealer was was raffling off for benefit of the Junior activities a John B. Henry Pedersoli .54 cal. Percussion Hawkin-style rifle with Tiger Maple Stock. Appears to be pre-owned new unfired but no papers or box and a small blemish out near the muzzle, but a real stunner. I bought 3 tickets for $10, then about half hour later, bought 3 more, for a total of $20. The drawing was at 1PM, so when my phone rang at 1:15, I thought, nah. Can't be. But it was, and I did! The dealer included a Cabela's long rifle padded case, and as a long time member of NMLRA (incl. 1-of-1000) I really was thrilled. May you all be as lucky at some point! It does appear that my 2nd ticket buy had the winner. Only raffles I've ever won were a basket of cheer, a documented Viet Nam "bring back" SKS and now this Hawken. Anyone else here ever won a gun?

My local gun club had a field day today with flea market, food, etc. A local dealer was was raffling off for benefit of the Junior activities a John B. Henry Pedersoli .54 cal. Percussion Hawkin-style rifle with Tiger Maple Stock. Appears to be pre-owned new unfired but no papers or box and a small blemish out near the muzzle, but a real stunner. I bought 3 tickets for $10, then about half hour later, bought 3 more, for a total of $20. The drawing was at 1PM, so when my phone rang at 1:15, I thought, nah. Can't be. But it was, and I did! The dealer included a Cabela's long rifle padded case, and as a long time member of NMLRA (incl. 1-of-1000) I really was thrilled. May you all be as lucky at some point! It does appear that my 2nd ticket buy had the winner. Only raffles I've ever won were a basket of cheer, a documented Viet Nam "bring back" SKS and now this Hawken. Anyone else here ever won a gun?
Post some pictures.

At a DU dinner once, a guy was selling chances on a Colt .45 Govt. Model from the custom shop for $20 ea. or 5 for $100. I just bought one ticket and the very next number from mine won the Colt.

Here's an update; once I got over the excitement and examined it, it was indeed fired before, probably like once. Not cleaned well! A good scrubbing with valve grinding compound should do it. I'm not crazy about the high-gloss finish from the factory, may strip it and use good ol' oil finish. It was made 2009 date code, and is a standard Pedersoli Hawkin w/ tiger stripe. The name I'd ascribed to it, John Henry, was the name of the small FFL dealer that put it up for sale to benefit the youth programs. I'd initially thought it was the name of some pioneer that Pedersoli had ascribed to a particular replica. (I'm gullible!) Does anyone know if you can get a musket-size nipple for it? The little pistol size nipple seems awfully small for such a large rifle!
See my follow-up posted Sunday afternoon; once I got it home to examine more closely.

Nor am I, but I’d like to be if you can win guns on them!
Basically, you’re betting on the score of a football game. I never won one cause I never played them, although I was tempted once when someone put up a nice Thompson Center Hawken on one.

For the uninitiated, ball boards look like this. Each square costs say $10. You buy however many squares you want and pick which unclaimed square you want by putting your name in it. Once they’re all sold, the numbers across the top and up the side are randomly pulled. Now you have the numbers for the squares you bought. Home team is at the top horizontally and the other is vertical. Let’s say Tennessee across the top and Kentucky vertical. If the score at the end of any quarter matches your numbers, then you win that quarters prize. In this board let’s say the first quarter ends with a score of Tennessee 25 and Kentucky 7 then RJ would win that quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
When luck was being handed out I must have been napping. Purchased many raffle tickets over the last half of a century but never won anything.
No worries, they have all been worthy causes so I see it all as well spent donations.
Congratulations on your win. That is a great rifle you are bound to enjoy.

Thanks, guys. The bore is cleaning up nicely; apparently the orig. owner fired it once and left it. But Valve Grinding Compound and elbow grease, it's nice and shiny. BTW, a local Auto Zone store, two clerks had no idea what valve compound even was. There's an auto parts store near me, Church's, the is an old-school full service type store that well go out of their way to delve into obscure items or services.

Latest posts

Back