• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woods walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necchi said:
It's the Michigan state bird, in that state possession of even a feather found on the forest floor could get you a big$$ fine.

Actually the robin is our state bird. I get your point though. Jays are considered song birds and your right you don`t want to get caught with even a feather. Now starlings,,they`re a different story and considered a nuisance species with no closed season or bag limit.

Britsmoothy said:
Sprocket was there, don't worry :thumbsup:

By the way the feathers are in my hat.
Do you put the fish back or eat them :hatsoff:

B.
Excellent...good to know she's till keeping you company.

As for the fish, I usually practice "catch and release" which is the nice way to say, I hate scaling and gutting bass and bluegill! :wink: :rotf:
I do occasionally keep a few for some of my recipes and have found the job goes quicker if you put the gutted fish in boiling water for 2 minutes, then lift them out and put in cool water. This blanches them just enough to pull the fin spines out with ease and they'll fillet very easily with just a rounded butter knife! Hint for the day.

SgtSchutzen said:
necchi said:
It's the Michigan state bird, in that state possession of even a feather found on the forest floor could get you a big$$ fine.

Actually the robin is our state bird. I get your point though. Jays are considered song birds and your right you don`t want to get caught with even a feather. Now starlings,,they`re a different story and considered a nuisance species with no closed season or bag limit.
Interesting, we had millions of starling when I was young. Now they are off and on the protected list! I leave them alone now.

B.

Some may have missed the part where you explained your species of Jay harms other, rarer, types of songbirds on your island. :wink:

I have hunted for a mere 38 years, and I have harvested pigeons, but haven't eaten them. They returned to my neighborhood when the homes were built and their barn was removed, and they damage roofs...so they were taken care of.

I also have hunted groundhogs, and when not young ones in the early spring, they are not eaten either. They are pests, attacking grape vines and causing holes in pastures making it unsafe for horses, or the fellows cutting the hay with a small tractor.

I have hunted crows for examination when the West Nile virus was moving through them in my area...tough birds to hunt as they are very smart, and had to use a decoy and recording to get them in for harvesting.

I was going to hunt local coyotes, or probably coy-dogs (half coyote half dog) as they took out a pair of sheep at a mini-farm... but local vehiclular traffic "took care of them" before I could get to them. I wouldn't be eating them either. :haha:

LD

Nate, Thanks for the amazing pictures. I can agree that a pheasant is fine table fare, but I would have been tempted by the hare. Do you only have gray squirrels? In my small part of the world, we have gray, fox and red squirrels. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Nate, Thanks for the amazing pictures. I can agree that a pheasant is fine table fare, but I would have been tempted by the hare. Do you only have gray squirrels? In my small part of the world, we have gray, fox and red squirrels. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink:

Hi Robin, mostly greys however small pockets of red squirrels live on this island also. They are protected from hunting.

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back