• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Recoil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felt recoil is very subjective. I have a Woodsrunner and with 90gr. of Swiss 3f and a patched roundball the recoil is not bad at all. The rifle has a broad butt area that seems to handle recoil very well for me. My .308W deer rifle kicks more.

Same comments as others....I shoot 80 grains for longer shots and 60gr at 25-50. I have a broad (?) about 1 1/8" wide, but on the stock and no problems. Gun weighs a little over 9 lbs.

I haven't tried it, but I bet the Woodsrunner and Colonial are easier to shoot with a stiff charge of powder. Next time out I may have to pour a bit more down the pipe and see. My spanish made guns with the curved butt plate and narrow butt stock will B@#$ slap you if you're on a bench with 90+ grains of powder. :D:D

As a general rule, I find that shotgun style butt plates as lighter felt recoil. Same goes for drop in the stock. I gave up on T/C Renegades as the limited stock drop put my cheek bone tight against the comb and felt recoil was more pronounced. Currently shooting a T/C Hawken but looking for an older Deerstalker.

my hunting load is 120 grains of FF. It kicks way less than my 45/70

Attachments

• 448359669_26752866987660738_4708425020515874599_n.jpg
    448359669_26752866987660738_4708425020515874599_n.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 0
You’re 5’7”. The 54 will give you a pretty good kiss if you venture out beyond 70 grains of 3f. Enjoy the ride! I love the big bores.

As a general observation and rule of thumb from conversations with fellow shooters, I've deduced that anyone that even asks about "felt recoil" is "recoil sensitive" and we should both proceed accordingly. My usual reaction upon someone asking or remarking about the recoil of one of the guns they see me shooting is an unexpressed "huh?!?" That's just me. Not that there's anything wrong with being recoil sensitive; it's just that if one asks about recoil they might not get an answer that's in any way informative to their own experience. In other words, don't make an aquisition decision based on someone else's estimation of "felt recoil". It's very subjective, and furthermore, if a firearm's recoil is uncomfortable, can be mitigated with thicker clothing or a shoulder pad.

Last edited:
As a general observation and rule of thumb from conversations with fellow shooters, I've deduced that anyone that even asks about "felt recoil" is "recoil sensitive" and we should both proceed accordingly. My usual reaction upon someone asking or remarking about the recoil of one of the guns they see me shooting is an unexpressed "huh?!?" That's just me. Not that there's anything wrong with being recoil sensitive; it's just that if one asks about recoil they might not get an answer that's in any way informative to their own experience. In other words, don't make an aquisition decision based on someone else's estimation of "felt recoil". It's very subjective, and furthermore, if a firearm's recoil is uncomfortable, can be mitigated with thicker clothing or a shoulder pad.
And it has a lot to do with how the particular firearm fits the individual, I have had 375 H&H mags that did not hurt me as bad as a 300 WSM that a friend owned, the gun slapped the bejesus out of me.

Latest posts

Back