• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodswalk zero and load versus hunting load and zero

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shoot my 54 at woodwalks alot. The ones by me are accurate 20 yard shots, like hitting the golf ball. Then maybe a 6 inch gong at 50 yards, then past 70 yards, the targets are vertical like a hanging welding bottle.

I'd like the sights to not be adjusted.

I load 75grs FFFg and the gun is dead on at 50 yards and 8 inches low at 100. I load 90 grains for hunting and is 6 inches low at 100.

This gun has adjustable sights with a screw. A lyman GPR flinter in 54 cal with a lyman 57 peep.

Im still working on a 45 cal flinter with open irons for woodswalks. Once that's done, I'll probably have a 80 yard zero.

What do you guys think? I like the nice boost in scores on those small 20 to 30 yard targets.

Learning where your rifle shoots at different distances with fixed sights is something everyone should do. It takes practice and practice makes a good shooter.
I prefer a Patridge style sight, I get a good sight picture with them, almost all my rifles have this style and are adjustable.
That said, I adjust them for some Rendezvous. Two events near me have limited space and short ranges. I'll go to the range and adjust elevation a bit before I go to these, then go back and re-adjust for a typical range and hunting.
But even with a 50-75yrd zero, we still need to learn "Alabama Elevation" or where to hold for different distance.

I wish we had woods walks around here but..... Oh well. When I lived in NE TX and did a few WWs I always used my load for 100 yd/hunting. As others said knowing the trajectory of your gun and load is important but it always seemed better to hold under at close range than to try to hold over at distance and cover too much (all ?) of the target at distance.
TC

Whether shooting targets or hunting with my rifles or traditional bows I always shot the same load, projectile for either. Helped me to use the same muscle memory when out in the field.

I've always owned 50's but want a 54. With my 50's and 65 grains of fffg with a TC Maxihunter I sighted 2" high at 50 for a dead on at 100. Interesting that a 54 roundball will drop 6" at 100 with 90 gr of fffg and a 50 yard zero. Wow, that is an eye opener.

Christophero said:
Interesting that a 54 roundball will drop 6" at 100 with 90 gr of fffg and a 50 yard zero. Wow, that is an eye opener.
It's because of the 50 yard zero.

Spence

It doesn't matter whether I'm hunting, plinking, target shooting or on a woods walk....my zero never changes......although my point of aim may.
Almost all of my guns are sighted in for 25 yrds.

Doesn't hurt. I usually win the 100 or 150 yard gong at the local balckpowder meat shoot. Usually get a prok roast of some sort at hat range.

They tried a 200 yard target once, has pushing too much for me.

Luckily, these targets are vertical in nature, aim for the very top and if your windage is right, it rings...

Back