• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Workbench - starting out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Scott,
The bench probably weighs about 300lbs maybe a little more. It was a bit of an engineering feat for me to make and assemble by myself.

Stuart,
The bench is excellent for joinery and furniture building as well as gun making. Good luck.

dave

Dave, add me to the list of guys knocked out by your work space and benches. What did you use for the top of your French-style bench? Looks like square-edged 2 X planks of hardwood, but can't tell for sure. Your vises alone are to die for.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the comment. I added some photos that show some of the details. The top is laminated Doug fir made from 2x8s and 2x10s that I ripped to 2x4s. I did that instead of just buying 2x4s because you get clearer and more stable wood from the bigger boards. The photo below shows the top with the holes for vises, planing stops, and holdfasts and the tops of the leg tennons showing. The legs are glued and pinned with oak dowels as shown in the second photo. I used screws only to attach the ledge that supports the tongue-and-groove shelf underneath.
RouboBench7_zps1837d2e1.jpg

RouboBench5_zpsa6d2809e.jpg

This photo shows the sliding deadman sitting on its "v" track. The top is rabbetted and the lip inserted into a groove under the bench top. The deadman can slide wherever I need it between the leg vises.
RouboBench3_zps51c6f3c4.jpg

This photo shows a leg vise made of maple with the oak parallel guide inserted into a leg. A metal pin is inserted in one of the holes appropriate for the thickness of the work to be held in the vise. The vise pivots on the pin and is kept parallel to the bench. This gives it tremendous holding power.
RouboBench6_zps1fd5c2d0.jpg

This last photo shows a stock blank held in a leg vise and by a holdfast on the deadman. It is at the perfect height and orientation for me to whack in a barrel channel, and it is held rock solid against the bench.
RouboBench2_zps352106e6.jpg

dave

So my harbor freight workbench came in today. I assembled it tonight and honestly can't be more pleased for $130! There a few modifications I'd like to make, but for a guy starting out you can't beat it with a stick...

Dang you did good on that for 130 bucks! I did not expect that when you said Hrbour Frieght and 130 I was expecting some angle iron and fiberboard. That is a real beauty. It will inspire good work.

I'm very pleased with the bench. Very solid, and couldn't have asked for a better deal!

Below is my workbench which is bolted to the wall and floor. Actually 2 vises are mounted... one on either end. Thought I'd also throw in a pic of one of the gunracks.....nice and handy.....Fred

I've actually posted a thread called Tip Curtis Lancaster kit with pics, etc. I'll soon post some progress pics...but I'll need some progress for that :rotf:

Hi...that's the LHed Stith S.Hawken that I've posted pics previously. ....Fred

Having 2 vices some distance apart is a good thing for holding these long and somewhat fragile stocks in a solid position. :thumbsup:

Hi...you're very observant...yes, that indeed is a 15" Crescent wrench. Because of the wide jaws, don't use it on breechplugs....a 12" plus a 12" length of pipe does that.....Fred

That being the case, I must have one of the healthiest minds in the world. I wanted to send a picture of my workbench but my camera gagged. :haha:

You're lucky, I can't find a camera in mine. Darn, I want a nice shop.....so I can spend 20 years messing it up, just like the one I got now.

Back