• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would this make a good muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you all think about this muzzleloader? Do you think it has rifling? Would it be good?

LINK REMOVED PER FORUM RULES

These Harpers Ferry repro guns are rifled. This appears to be a newer one because it is in 54 caliber. They first came out in the 1970s in 58 caliber. It would be a good buy for $200.

Is this something I could take to a Rendezvous? I was kinda thinking that would be fun. I dont know. I just want a flintlock and thought that was a good buy for $200.

Sounds like a good deal to me if it is solid and clean, it should be OK for any post 1805 or so Fur trade event I would think.Some of these had lock geometry issues but nothing that cannot be fixed.

The main rule to remember at your standard rendezvous is that everything is supposed to be pre-1840. This is the gun that Lewis and Clark carried so it is OK. Besides it's a flintlock, no problem there either.

Many Klatch

I'm gonna guess here, but I'd say it's a rifle, not smooth bore. (You can always e'mail the seller.) For $200 looks like a winner to me.

By the look of the M.1803 Harpers Ferry, it is one of the Antonio Zoli-made ones, & they are definately rifled. I'm not 100% sure on the twist-rate, but pretty sure it was 1:66" or similar.....definately a roundball twist though. I used to work for the Australian importer of A.Z. (& other)firearms back in the late 70s to early '80s & I don't recall ever having any returned to us for quality issues. I wasn't into M/L then, but looking back I wish I'd bought a couple of different models.....ahh, hindsight!!

Back