• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you put money into it or leave it alone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you will do the work yourself, I think you might have a good rifle. It may not be cost effective if you send it to a professional gunsmith to restore. Plenty of fine advice to be found here on restoring it. I just got an old .32 rifle that was just cobbled together, probably back in the 1920’s. The bore looks worn, but it is very accurate at 30 yards, good enough for squirrels.

Also depends on the price. Looks like a nice rifle to save if you polish the snot out of the bore the stock can be saved

A really fine looking rifle. The stock is a straightforward easy repair and it only needs minimal cleaning. The rifling is strong and I'll bet it shoots well. Scrub the bore and try to polish it a little. If it doesn't shoot well it's still worth a rebore or liner.

I would fix the cracked stock to make it sound, put a better set of sights on it & go use it as is! It's got that patina look that takes years to obtain. If it shoots good, why mess with it?

It’s a nice old rifle that is worth a second look. There’s plenty of modern rifles to shoot but a very limited number of old guns that are getting fewer each year. Some will say it’s yours so do as you please, I’m in the group that thinks it’s only yours now and someday (if it survives) will be someone’s and all of our history.

If it is functional,Leave it be, Not everyone likes a shiney rifle ...a lot of Character there..Clean it up? yes Restore ? No Back in the day,do you think People sat around Polishing their Rifle,,,I don't ..They were Busy trying to stay Alive and make a living....You don't need a pretty rifle for that,, You need a Functional Rifle. She looks like she has served someone well. But has not been shown much love in Return.. A great example of how she looked in her Hay_day. that's my Opinion....and EVERYONE is entitled to THEIR's ,,,,,,,Be Safe >>>>>>Wally

Stock has a pretty bad crack.
img_7323-jpeg.284858
IMG_7320.jpeg
View attachment IMG_7322.jpegView attachment IMG_7321.jpeg

The stock can be repaired. If you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself a competent gunsmith or a furniture repair shop can do it. It looks like the stock has been refinished at some time in the past.

I have seen cracks a lot worse than that repaired very successfully, if you do not have skills, let someone else fix it.

If you have skills people on this forum know how to fix it, if you ask they will help.

This was pretty much given to me. It’s an old .32 with a few issues but is a consistent firing rifle. Bore is dark but could be rebored. Stock is cracked. Would you put money into it or leave it alone?

T4

View attachment 284775View attachment 284777View attachment 284778View attachment 284779View attachment 284780View attachment 284781View attachment 284782View attachment 284783View attachment 284784
Leave it alone. It is what it is and any changes to it will devalue it.Clean the bore and you may be surprised at how well it shoots.

I'm not a fan of working old wood on an original , with the intention of using the gun. Most old rifles have wood that is crumbly. Lets say you fix the original , and the wood fails in another place. Every time the wood is " fixed" , the value declines. Personally , if I enjoy a fine old gun , and if I appreciate it that much , I'll build a copy , and enjoy using the copy. I don't want to be responsible for keeping antique guns , for the next generations to look at. LOL

Clean it up & try to get a little Epoxy in the crack ,,wrap tight with electrical tape...flip the tape over ,sticky side up for the first 2 rounds,,,this will give you a sqeeze without any adhesive on the wood..leave it be for 2 days then clean excess epoxy , you'll probably have to clean up your screw holes. Any pinning or screwing should be done BEFORE epoxy.. Not a big job.. Hell, I'd do it for you if you paid the postage both ways,,,,I'm not lookin for a job ,just trying to demonstrate how easy it is. You never gave much Info on the rifle..might be 125-150 yrs of LIVED history there. If that Rifle is functional & safe, Clean it lovingly, fix it , and SHOOT it,,that Lived in look din't put itself there. Don't refinish it...Be Safe >>>>>Wally P.S. Check the fit and condition of the Breach plug. Your picture looks like plug threads need attention.. Wally

Last edited:
Back