• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

YEEEEEEEE !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbles

50 Cal.
Reaction score
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!

Well boys,, I have found the load for my perfect T/C Hawken 50 cal....
I will now only fire 60 grains from it,, I like the POI it makes and how often it can do it,,
I will , if I like the shot,, drop a deer at 20 yards or 120 yards and feel good bout it,, Why do you ask ??

(will come on,, ask!!)

K, (that's better) I just got back from hittin my new 1/2" by 6" by 6" target and it worked just like I planned,, (sometimes I even impress myself) The roundball will hit it and go right in the ground,,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/works.jpg
as for the 60 grains,,, this is what the roundballs look like after it hit the target at 50 yards,,,,,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/spent.jpg

I am done shootin paper targets,, they ain't no fun, they don't move,, this does,, A LOT,,,, AND THAT'S WITH ONLY 60 GRAINS!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/end.jpg

Those holes in the logs are from LOOOONG ago,,,
0k,,, how many of ya ask ?????

:front:

end.jpg

But I do wonder why you are practicin on an outline of the back of Gumby's head? :hmm:

GUMCHINSCRATCH.jpg

Stumpkiller
Does kinda look like it huh ?? and he's tryin to get away,,,,

Wow! By the title I thought this was going to be a Howard Dean thread!!! ::

Good Shootin' there, Hobbles! :thumbsup:

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old Salt Good shooting

Thank you, I just aim and pull the trigger, Old Drop-em does the rest after WE got it all figured out,, And there was a lot to figure out ;>)~~
I am usin an adjustable powder measure with Pyrodex RS,

hobbles,
Nice shooting!! Now tell me how to skin and the
best way to cook a "Gumby". I've cleaned and cooked
about everything but never a "Gumby". :crackup:
snake-eyes :hmm:

I am done shootin paper targets,, they ain't no fun, they don't move

I like that kind best too...have a simple steel "A-Frame" with a 6" steel hanger suspended down from it that I use 99% of the time to practice offhand and simulated tree stand shooting with 50/60grn target loads.

Then there's a small interchangeable 1+7/8" hanger that I put on to use for squirrel hunting practice at 25yds.

Spray a fresh coat of paint on them when I get back to the house and they're ready for the next trip.
:redthumb:

snake-eyes 1000
Skinnin it was tough but my Lady had a plan to cook anythin,, If it's smokin, its cookin,, When it's black, it's done, No problem,,

Ya know Boys, when I got the deer last year at maybe 46 yards shootin 100 grains, The ball went in, thu a rib, Thu both lungs, thu a rib and came out, left a nice round hole on both sides, I was impressed with that, I was thinkin THAT WAS MY LOAD,, But after my 50 yard shot with 60 grains and pickin up the left over's from the balls and lookin at how the flat piece's are thinner then a dime, My brain just has a hard time tryin to adjust to the fact that 60 grains has that much power, The paper I put under the target looks like someone poked it full of holes with a pin, I swear boys, I would of bet my Lady's saddle that, that would of never happened,,

roundball
Spray a fresh coat of paint on them when I get back to the house and they're ready for the next trip.

Yep, I'm gettin some spray paint and just leave it down by the target,, I'll put it where I can't hit it,, I had a 1/2 full pepsi can with me one time and just had to sea what would happen

I had a 1/2 full pepsi can with me one time and just had to sea what would happen

try it with a full can that yer buddy and you just rolled back and forth fer bout 20 minute on the floor till it just bout exploded....do that till the top and bottom are pushed out....then take it outside put it on a fence post and shoot it with a slingshot from bout 8' away with some bb's and after ya go and take a shower to git all the soda off ya....tell me if ya git a big exploding spray from the can of soda :crackup: :results: ............bob

snake-eyes 1000
Ya know Boys, when I got the deer last year at maybe 46 yards shootin 100 grains, The ball went in, thu a rib, Thu both lungs, thu a rib and came out, left a nice round hole on both sides, I was impressed with that, I was thinkin THAT WAS MY LOAD,, But after my 50 yard shot with 60 grains and pickin up the left over's from the balls and lookin at how the flat piece's are thinner then a dime, My brain just has a hard time tryin to adjust to the fact that 60 grains has that much power,

On the other side of the coin, I filled a 3 lb. coffee can with dirt and was shooting it offhand at 30 yards. Using a .54 GPR, rb, and 100 grains 2f Goex. Almost all of the balls bulged the backside of the can but were recovered in can, flattened out, of course. :hmm: I was surprised they didn't penetrate both sides.

"I had a 1/2 full pepsi can with me one time and just had to sea what would happen "

You wasted a Pepsi? :cry:
Try a hot can of beer, shake it up , and then shoot it. :shocking:

hobbles,
Nice shooting!! Now tell me how to skin and the
best way to cook a "Gumby". I've cleaned and cooked
about everything but never a "Gumby". :crackup:
snake-eyes :hmm:

Naugies used to be the same way, hard to clean & skin, now even Wal-Mart carries naugahyde. ::

Dixie Flinter
On the other side of the coin,,,,
Almost all of the balls bulged the backside of the can but were recovered in can, flattened out, of course.

Yep,, dirt is solid,, but on the deer I got,, both sides were just as round,

But I do wonder why you are practicin on an outline of the back of Gumby's head? :hmm:

GUMCHINSCRATCH.jpg

[/quote]

Gumbys!! ::
Toughest critters Ah ever saw. Ye kan kook um fer 6 owers in a pot o boilin watar an ye still gots ta cheuw a bit o tham 75 times afore ye kan swaller um.

Why, Ah knows o one time ma unkle war cheuwin som o a gumby an sneezed. Blue tha biggast bubble ah ever say. Lil Willie poped it an it took fore days afore we got it all off o tham both!! :: ::

Hobbles: As fer yer 60 grain loads (by volume, not weight Ah assume) ye mite jus want ta try 80 grains ta see what she wil do.

Ah'm not sayin that 60 grains are week, but yer only gettin 'bout 1370 feets per secon out O her wit that load.
At 80 yards, it are down ta 950 feets per secon wit 354 foot pounds o energy. At 100 yards it are a goin only 893 feets per secon wit 314 feets pounds o energy.

80 grains wil giv ye about 1570 feets per secon at tha en o tha barrel. at 80 yards it wil stil be o'er 1000 feets per secon an at 100 yards it wil be down ta 943.
At wil du a bettar job o knockin um down than yer 60 grain load will.

GUMCHINSCRATCH.jpg

Toughest critters Ah ever saw. Ye kan kook um fer 6 owers in a pot o boilin watar an ye still gots ta cheuw a bit o tham 75 times afore ye kan swaller um.[/quote]

Don't you mean "GUM" tham 75 times afore ye kan swaller um? :crackup:

Or did you finally get those rent-to-own dentures? :crackup:

GUMCHINSCRATCH.jpg

Toughest critters Ah ever saw. Ye kan kook um fer 6 owers in a pot o boilin watar an ye still gots ta cheuw a bit o tham 75 times afore ye kan swaller um.

Don't you mean "GUM" tham 75 times afore ye kan swaller um? :crackup:

Or did you finally get those rent-to-own dentures? :crackup: [/quote]

i think dats y he has ta chew um 75 times....no teif yet :crackup: ............bob

Back