• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet another patch cutting method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I cut patches with arch punches. Punching one at a time was tough. Even in end grain it was hard to get a clean cut.

Trial and error got me to this.

Cut a strip of patch material about 3/8" wider than your arch punch. Maybe 30" or a yard. Fold over a square of material on the end of the strip. Then fold that square over in the opposite direction. And so on, until the whole strip is a zig-zag folded square stack. Then put that down on the end grain of a log, center the punch on it, and hammer away until you hit the bottom. You'll get a stack of patches and all but the bottom one will be cut cleanly.

Have fun!

I do something like that. I cut or tear (tear is quick and easy) then fold over and over. No zig zag. Then cut through the folds on each end. Less than a minute to a handful of square patches that shoot just like round ones.

We have two topics going on this and I just want to say that I'm not intending to critique other people's choices. I m just throwing it out there for those who may be new to ml and exploring methods.

Latest posts

Back