• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

you ain't doin' nothin' wrong

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70cannon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Fact is I wish my guns would do that too. Firing triple 7 has alot to do with it. Try shooting Goex black powder and say the same thing!
Fact is, when aI shoot my guns, no matter what the calibre, if I shoot with black powser you get two, maybe three shots and to keep the accuracy, you swab the barrel. Shooting the pyrodexes, just keep on shooting, they don't fowl the barrel the way th black powders do.

If you are having trouble with fouling and you are using real BP, you may want to read your shooting patches. Usually and not always, a properly fitting patch and ball combo with good lube, will give you a pretty good combustion in the barrel with little fouling. Too much powder can sometimes really increase fouling. I have no trouble with fouling at all and all I use is real BP. When I tried Elephant BP powder, my experience was very different. But a good lube, a good fitting patch and ball combo and you should not have any trouble at all. Many times I will shoot a whole range day with out any need to swab.

I use real BP and never have that problem!I typically shoot around 20 times at the range, and the only time I swab, is when switching from conical to r b.

Richard Torlai said:
Fact is I wish my guns would do that too. Firing triple 7 has alot to do with it. Try shooting Goex black powder and say the same thing!
Fact is, when aI shoot my guns, no matter what the calibre, if I shoot with black powser you get two, maybe three shots and to keep the accuracy, you swab the barrel. Shooting the pyrodexes, just keep on shooting, they don't fowl the barrel the way th black powders do.

Is it me or does your post reads like a reply instead of the main topic?

Were you trying to reply to someone and pressed the wrong key?

Richard Torlai said:

If you use these products to any extent it makes the use of BP nearly impossible because the perchlorate salts set up a micro pit (initially, it will not stay "micro" for long) that traps BP fouling and greatly increases the buildup in the barrel.
In clean barrels BP causes little problem if the shooter knows how to shoot BP.

Dan

Relax, I'm new and gettin' the hang of things around here.
I was answering someone someplace but didn't know where the post would end up.

At least you ain't asleep and you would save your hair if the injuns came in!

Well, since this is a Muzzleloading, (how do I underline that?) Forum. Why would one speak so highly of pyrodex or tripple 7, compared to real black powder? I have a bit of 2f black powder that is probably over 30 years old that is pretty dirty, (fouling), have to swab quite often when using it, but it is real black powder. If I wanted it easy, I would just use a modern gun, I have some newer black powder that doesn't foul near as bad. I have found the 3f I have, compared to the 2f (all goex) seems to shoot cleaner. If one is shooting a traditional style muzzleloader, whether flintlock or percussion, why not use real blackpowder? Just don't seem right to me to go to all the trouble of wanting to use a muzzleloader and then use fake powder. A lot of people come up with the excuse of I can't find real black powder, horse pockey. Go ahead and flame away. flinch

Love it, Flinch!! I just started out, and was told by a bud who used to shoot BP to run 777 because it wasn't corrosive. Well, I'm a traditionalist in pretty much everything (hell, we even grind our own meat in an old hand-crank grinder), so my next powder purchase will be Goex. Can't wait for that sulfur smell!!

Go big, or go home!

fired my traditions kentucky 16 times without swabbing. Maybe your patch is to tight or the lube isnt the right stuff?

On the lighter side if you shoot holy black and use crisco lard the smoke smells like yur cooken bacon in the outhouse. love it.

Back