• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

you might want to know...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
just found this on a site and didn't know this....not that i was going to buy one...........................bob

Department Of The Treasury
Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
NOTICE: INDUSTRY CIRCULAR
Number: 98-2 Date: 11-06-97
ATF has determined muzzle loading weapons with "in-line" firing mechanisms
designed or redesigned to use modern conventional firearm primers do not meet
the definition of antique firearms and are subject to regulation as a firearm.

just found this on a site and didn't know this....not that i was going to buy one...........................bob

Department Of The Treasury
Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
NOTICE: INDUSTRY CIRCULAR
Number: 98-2 Date: 11-06-97
ATF has determined muzzle loading weapons with "in-line" firing mechanisms
designed or redesigned to use modern conventional firearm primers do not meet
the definition of antique firearms and are subject to regulation as a firearm.

Sombody needs to get this in front of the governing body of the NMLRA...and any other organization that treats them like an early american traditional muzzleloader.

Good catch Bob!

Could you post the link to this? I would like to have a copy of it
Thank you
Tim

I can't put my fingers on it, but I remember reading about this back in '97 or '98, and as I recall, BTAF changed their minds on the issue a year or so later.

BTAF also made an issue of the type of primers the guns could use stating, in effect, that the use of modern firearms primers placed the gun into the "cartridge" category. They later had their minds changed on that issue as well.

If I am mistaken, let me know.

it looks like it was a firearm then it wasn't then there saying that any made after 1898 isn't classed as an antique firearm and with all the legal words how do ya know what there saying :hmm:.....................bob

Zonie,.... I believe yore right!!
Ther was a question 'bout the inlines use'n certain centerfire "componets", this was later resolved 'cause the inlines didn't shoot "fixed ammo" and the inlines were exempt from the same regs as modern centerfires.

The "details" are a liddle fuzzy fer me, 'cause I didn't shoot inlines then (or, now).

YMHS
rollingb

I was hopeing that it had not been changed. So maybe the muzzleloading season in MN,Inlines could be excluded from the season. I had a bad experience this year in the field with one of the people that just want to extend there hunting. This person bought his the day befor the season started.
Sorry about the ranting.:curse:
Tim

Now stop and think about it.
IF this is a LAW... then you would not be able to purchase one through Cabel's Or Bass Pro Shop or any other catalog.
If it is under the same law as a cartridge firearm it could not be sold this way under the law.

Woody

Back