• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

young beagle becomes rabbit dog !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a beagle from my neighbor. It is a registered 1 year old female. She wasnt trained at all. I named the sweet little dog Annie. So today I decided to take Annie out with my other beagle Tinkerbell to see how Annie did. We were walking though a swamp full of bushes. As I stepped on a bush I looked down to see a rabbit directly infront of me. I called Tinker over and she spooked it. As it bolted off I shot but missed. Tinker took over and started hot on its trail. Annie followed her but didnt know what to do. Tinker was a 100 yards out when I looked up to see Annie coming back. I was getting frusterated that Annie was coming back to me instead of staying with Tinker. I shooed Annie away and stood ready for the rabbit to come past. Annie went back in the swamp and I saw the rabbit bolting my way. I waited until it came to an opening 20 yards away. I threw the gun up, aimed a few inches infront of the rabbit and touched her off. The rabbit did a front flip and landed on its back stone dead. I said a prayer thanking the Lord and smiled knowing we had got the job done. Then I heard Annie barking. She was with Tinker and they were both following the trail. They were rewarded when they ran into the dead rabbit at the end of the trail. I was very happy to see that Annie was starting to learn what to do. I picked up the rabbit and we went on. We ended up jumping 2 more rabbits but one ran in a hole and the other ran under a barn. Overall I am happy with Annie. She is still young and has alot to learn but she isn't doing to bad. Her coat isn't nearly as nice looking as Tinker's but they look almost the same :haha: I can tell Annie is going to run the rabbits faster then Tinker. I am going to take them out as much as possible. i have a feeling I am going to have some more great rabbit hunts in the future with Annie and Tinker. My gun is a traditions 12 guage single shot with 70 grains FFF,OP wad,80 grains shot,OS wad.Here is a picture of the sucessful pack with their trophy. Tinker is on the left and Annie is on the right. Enjoy SS.
2011-02-05_17-35-32_5871.jpg

Beagles pick up quick, especially when they know why you're out there. Good job! A few more times and she'll be pickin' up the slack!

They are fine looking beagels.Be patient with her she'll come around.Some of my best rabbit hunts were with my beagel Elmer.He lived to be 15 yrs old.He loved those rabbits.Good luck with her. :thumbsup: Griz

There's not much in life I find more satisfying than a beagle's first rabbit. You have my most sincere congratulations!

Good job on taking her out with an experienced dog, too. The other dog will do a lot of the teaching job for you, as you already learned.

One thing to look forward to- The only thing more satisfying than one beagle is two working a rabbit. I have to admit I'm a lot jealous! And that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

I knew an old Swamp Yankee who ran rabbits and foxes with Beagles every chance he could, who woulda smiled at that picture. :thumbsup:

Outstanding! There's nothing better than chasing rabbits with beagles. :thumbsup:

sniper,

Congrats! Brings back memories of my youth when I had Beagles and so did many of my friends. First pup I had I ran with my neighbor's dog; his half-brother. He did so-so. Then I caught a rabbit in a live trap and let him out in front of the dog. That was all it took!

Good luck and have fun!!!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

nice looking hounds and kit!

good stuff I love to hunt over dogs!

My two boys have never seen a rabbit,but you show them two a squirrel the hunt's on. This is my baby the other one dislike snow.Got to love them beagles.

DSC_0011.jpg

Great hunt SS. Brings back memories when I was your age. Only I didn't have a BP gun then. Got plenty of them now. I like the looks of the new dog, she will come around. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

Great story and love to see dogs on game! :thumbsup:
The very best to ya and your troop.
Dusty :wink:

Back