• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

your favorite style of rifle and do you own one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbaric1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I like several styles of flintlock rifles, I own an early Berks County rifle, (Bob) c.1745, based on one in the Smithsonian. A rifle based on the "Brass Barreled guns" of northern Virginia c. 1750, (Sweet Marie). I also have a Rowan County, North Carolina Rifle, (Ol' Daniel). And an Ohio style, half stock, chunk gun. (Ol' Parts) All built for moi by Mike Brooks.
My favorite original period builder is John Armstrong Sr. I think his stuff is beautiful. If I ever have another built, it'll be one of his methinks.

I like the Reading style, I'm building my first from a stock blank using the John Schreit rifle as a model. That is probably my favorite rifle. I also like the JP Beck rifles as well and have components to build one after my other on is done. So what do I have now? A fowler and a Virginia style smoothrifle both in .62 cal. Overall I'd say I prefer the earlier guns with the wide butt plate and sliding wooden patch boxes but heck I like 'em all.

I like the Northampton/Lehigh style.

Here's mine: .54 cal, 44" swamped barrel, cherry stock. Done with a nod towards a signed rifle by John Rupp. Just something about that down sweeping stock that appeals to me.

cherry33s.jpg

This is tough for me (to narrow it down to one)....I like several styles alot. There are several early makers whose rifles appeal to me. One is the early Dickert's and I am making one of those now in .54 (Getz swamped 42" bbl)with a Chambers lock and the Christian Springs period (attributed) buttplate. My first longrifle (that I made) was loosely adapted from eastern PA rifles. I still like its architecture best of any of my guns. It is easier for me to say what I don't like: the exaggerated Roman nose or the too thin Lehigh butts (I like Lehigh, just not all of them). I don't care much for the very late Lancasters. Not all makers rifles are equal, e.g., some of Shreyer's rifles are real works of art, others have poor architecture IMHO. Late Dickerts are just so-so. I have long liked the late western PA Bedford rifles, but do not own any.

I own a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle, Standard. It is the way I grew up thinking all Kentucky rifles were. Why, I don't know. I watched Fess Parker as Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone and neither of their rifles looked like that.

I like the dropped look and the way it puts the sights at your eyes as soon as you put the gun to your shoulder. I am a form-follows-function type of guy although I can talk my self into liking what I want to like, such as "It is historical, so it is the way I like it."

While the flintlocks that I currently use are all TC Hawkens, I have noticed my self pausing more and more often during the past year whenever I stumble across a photo of an Issac Haines on TOW's web site...don't know anything about them, can't spout off the names of 'schools' or builders...just has strong eye appeal for me for some reason...and they're not fancy, no stars, moons, tacks, gold trim, etc...they just always catch my eye...I don't own one.

Anyone have any other info on the 1745 Berks gun? sounds interesting, any pics?

I like them all. I do prefer the full stock rifles. I just like the lines, even a full stock Hawkin. Of the earlier styles, I think the Lancaster is my favorite. I am also fond of the Tennessee style with it's slim lines and simplicity of design.

I have two Lancasterish flinters, one in 36 and one in 50. I also have a fifty cal Tennessee. I am in the process of building a full stock Hawken 58.

I have a half stock Santa Fe Hawkin and Leman half stock. They are both good rifles and shoot very well, but just don't have the as much appeal as my full stocks.

Birddogs .40cal Bucks county.Stumpy look at that down sweep! :thumbsup:

When I first started my apprenticeship I was really taken by J.P. Beck's work (and I still am). But I also found that my tastes began to evolve to early Pre-Revolutionary guns.
I have really come to love Andreas Albrecht's and the Christian Springs guns, although my next rifle will be an early Jacob Dickert such as No.48 in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America Vol.1 using a hand forged barrel from my apprenticeship days. I own a copy of the signed Andreas Albrecht Rifle, an Edward Marshall Rifle as well as a Wilson's Chiefs Gun.
I think you will find most peoples tastes evolve over time, that's one of the more enjoyable things in this hobby.

Regards, Dave

I'm with Dave as far as loving early guns. My taste runs to eastern PA and pre-Revolution. Christian Spring, Berks, early Lancaster, early York, all appeal to me. My favorite guns (except for the ones I sold and miss now) are a .45 cal Bucks County style flintlock with side-opening patchbox I built in 1978, and a 1760's-70's Christian Spring rifle, .50 caliber, sliding wooden patchbox I finished this year. I must say I like the new one the most for quick handling but the longer barrel on the Bucks County gun (42" versus 38") hangs better for offhand shooting.

I've got a long list of "must build" early guns and want to learn more about Southern schools of riflemaking. I spent 15 years in New Jersey and was always studying Pennsylvania longrifles. Maybe some day I'll have a chance to live in the South and mine that vein. Hope so.

My all time favorite is the Issac Haines and yes I have one.
I also like the colonial Virginia rifles and the southern mt. which I also have.

I can't say because I might get ejected from the forum.

I can't say that I have a favorite muzzleloading type, except that it needs to have a side lock and wood stock.

I love the lean, clean look of early Lancasters. But I'm ashamed to say I don't own one. When I switched to flintlocks I could only afford one rifle and since a great deal on a T/C Hawken showed up, that's what I bought. graybeard. :redface:

I have always liked Issac Haines style which I have. It was the first gun I built. I also like the style of John Bonewitz. I like his style of carving. Maybe some day...

I wish I could narrow it down more. I like Pre-Rev Eastern Pa. guns, and on up to about 1790. Big butts, swamped big bores, big curl and wood pachboxes. Gotta add Jaegers to that list too :thumbsup: I build 'em, own 'em, shoot 'em, love 'em.

I would have to say that I like the Jaeger/transitional period rifles. I really like my .62 caliber early New England rifle. It's hard to pick a favorite, though. For example, I think my S. Hawken is one of the most elegant and perfect firearms I've ever seen or owned.

Back