• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outdoorsmen with big knives always make me think of my father's comment when he'd see a whitetail deer hunter toting one: "What are you planning to do, jump out of a tree and stab the deer to death?"

Capt. William

Although I started this thread about Bowie knives, I will pass them up for a good skinner any day...

I like the up-swepped blade of the beaver knives...

skinning_knife.jpg

No, but I have made a green river skinner knife before, I just found a picture on a knife that closely resembles the one I have...

Capt<
I love the looks of them and i know they require a lot
of talent to put one together but i just do not have the need for one>
I am snake_ eyes

As for the big[url] knife...in[/url] the old flintlock days the knife WAS often used to dispatch big game wounded by the ball. Then big knives made sense: they needed to be long enough to reach the vitals of a bear. Hunters like Davy Crockett or Ben Lilly often killed their bears with a long knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
to big for me....

195989.jpg

here's two i have been thinking of putting handles on....the pipe is from a 2" brow tine of an deer antler for size comparison.........................bob

Can anyone recommend a source for a small (about 4 inch) bladed knife: something that might have been carried in the 1760's? I'm looking for a knife that's comfortable to carry and practical to use; not an heirloom piece.

Capt. William

Can anyone recommend a source for a small (about 4 inch) bladed knife: something that might have been carried in the 1760's?

In the links section under weapons there are 14 links to edged weapons covering all dates and eras, perhaps you might find what you are looking for there...

WEAPONS LINKS

Capt_William: If you cannot find the knife you want & if it interest you in having one made such as you would like, I would be most happy to give you a price on one. I can make them look old, new, used, abused, weathered & worn, etc. You would have to furnish me a photo or drawing or something to go by.

WARRANTY: Same warranty is on my knives as with my rifles: When you get it & if for some reason you are not satisfied with it, simply notify me & return it imediately, unused & in the same condition as I shipped it, and upon safe return of the knife/rifle I will give you a FULL REFUND including the freight charges, no problem, no hassles, no B.S.

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

Capt-william
check out[url] phforge.com[/url] aknife maker you can
trust & deal with.
snake-eyes :thumbsup: :imo: :m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, God love Davy Crockett: but there ain't no way in hell I'm getting close enough to a wounded bear to be sticking ANY sort of a blade into it! My 200+ pound self, armed with a Bowie knife or for that matter a cutlass or spear, is no match for a 500+ pound bruin!

Capt. William

Capt: Don't it make ya wonder just how much that story & others like it were changed by the 20 millionth time they were told ? ha ha !

Truth be known, he may have lost his Bowie knife running from the bear & jumped into the river ! ha ha !

Reminds me of a storry they did one time at Boy Scout camp, too many years ago. Starts out on guy tells one kid telling the next kid a story about washing an elephant, and them passing it on to the next kid & etc.

By the time it went thru about 150 kids the story ended up as "Moving a Refrigerator at a high rise Apartment" ! ha ha ha ! :huh:

Hey Fellers,

I think you're missing the point (no pun intended)!
Nobody aims to get in a hand to paw fight with a bear but sometimes it just happens I read about it all the time.

Ifn you do would you rather have a 3 inch pocket knife or a 8 to 11 inch hog sticker! LOL! Or maybe nothing at all many people have fended off bears with their fists. They usually come out worse for the wear I'm sure.

Like I said in an earlier post while contemplating stickin' a bruin with a sharp stick (arrow)from the ground the thought rolls through yer mind. Now in WV hunters who have a Concealed Carry permit may carry even while bowhunting. Guess I'll carry my Glock now, I'd like it bettern any knife.

Chuck

Funny you should mention that- just a few years back, a feller was walking up a trail, rifle on his back. Just about the time he smelled a rotting animal, he got knocked down by a grizzley and chewed on. This happened only about 65 miles west of here. He managed to get his short (long for this column) 6" blade out of the sheath and after multiple stabs, etc, he finally got the bear to drop him & it walked off. His rifle was gone - didn't know where & could hardly see for the blood in his eyes. It's difficult to crawl, arms ripped up, holding the flap of skin off your eyes, I guess. He crawled out of the bush and was found at his truck, trying to get in - taken to hospital and received over 400 stitches to close his wounds. He didn't even know he was ripped in the legs until he found he couldn't walk. The game branch went in to kill the bear and found it dead about 25yds from where the fight had been, right next to it's 1/2 burried moose kill.
: The autopsy found the 6" blade was about 2" too short of killing the bear within the first few stabs. He was making the lungs, but not the heart, as his blade was just a bit too short. None of his neck attempts hit the corotids. That man now packs a BIG knife with him, and carries his rifle in his hands- no slings.
: The Bear-Aware Course Speakers in this province who lecture government employees who work in the bush, now recommend no shorter than an 8" blade for a belt knife in grizzley country - just in case. The preferred gun is a 12 bore pump with slugs. Buckshot just doesn't work on big bears. : Yeah, I know, the macho deal is to carry a blade no longer than absolutely necessary to skin or butcher an animal & some company's go so far as to sell blades only 1 to 1 1/2" long, saying, it's all you need. I use a minimum of a 6" blade, and can do a mature bull moose in about 12 min. if on flat ground. I know guys who use small blades, no longer than absolutely necessary, spend hours getting their moose ready to pack out. Bloody waste of daylight. i dont'like packing in the dark- so I use a big blade. I guess that makes me a tenderfoot or beginner or something to be sneared at, but I'd rather get it cool and into the truck than spend all day up to my elbows, practising being an expert, using a short blade. Actually, around here, it's the other way around. The beginners are the ones who pack inadequate tools and 6th fingers andother gimmicks. I'd rather pack a blade & get the job done, just as I was taught.
: Another bear story- about 2, maybe 3 years ago, now, a couple guys out Black Bear hunting with shotguns loaded with buckshot got jumped by a grizzley in the same geographic area as the previous attack. They just about cleaned the skin right off that griz's head, yet nothing entered the skull nor penetrated the neck bones. One of the guys, some 6 shots later, reloaidng, finally killed him with a Fed 1 1/4 ounce slug.(max 3 shells allowed per gun-federal law) Apparently, the point-blank facial blows were knocking him down, but he'd get right up again. THAT would be disconcerning, wouldn't it.

No grizzlies here in southern Louisiana. (Alligators, though!)

I'm interested in strictly a using knife; don't want to pay more than $50.00 for it. I recently sold a 1976 Ruana for $1,300, and have several Randalls from same era I want to sell. I've reached the point in life where I want to own and use just a few things; am no longer interested in collecting / accumulating. A couple of modern knives, a couple of traditional; a couple of modern handguns for home protection and concealed carry; a modern shoulder gun or two for hunting, a traditional shoulder gun or two for hunting / trekking / reenactment.

Collector knives, pipe hawks, Bowie knives: all pretty stuff, but not what I need.

I suspect the period folk thought this way, although probably out of necessity rather than deliberate choice.

Capt. William

Whoa! $1300 for a Ruana? Was it a fancy Bowie? I own two early Ruana hunting knives (one of them was actually used as an illustration in a book on custom knives). I paid $35 for the big one (used) and $75 for the little one (mint). I have a bunch of handmade knives that I have collected over the years.... :hmm:

Lots of people have dropped by my knife table at the market where I sell to show me their Ruana knives. Most warn me before they'll show it to me that I should not expect much. I've yet to see one that's not crude and UGLY! But for some bizarre reason they do bring good prices.

Latest posts

Back