• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

yuns gettin' hungary fer venison?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
DSCF6088.jpg

harder then waiting for Christmass! :grin:
Only three months until Bow season here in CO.

I'm just waiting for squirrel season to open Aug. 1 :haha:. Once that season opens everything else is soon to follow and you'll never be bored again because Dove opens Sept. 1, Early Canada Goose opens Sept. 1, Archery Deer opens Oct. 1. So it looks like I should have a busy Fall :grin:.

I actually have been doin a fair amount of fishing lately, and have laid off the wild game supply in the freezer..freezers :thumbsup: It was a good year for me in 2010, 2 big tom turkeys, nice 10pt buck, big black bear sow(350ish), truckloads of waterfowl, quite a few pheasants, and alot of small game! Also the bonus coyote or two! Still have a decent supply left, thanks for the reminder that another season is nearing! I believe i will have to invite as many friends and family as possible, plus all my extremely willing landowners and have a game feed! Thanks again :hatsoff:

They're talking of moving our future bow season up two weeks (southern zone of NY) to Oct 1st and giving us a first ever early muzzleloader season in November! Yee-hah! I like bow hunting, but I would eat better with an early m/l season. ;-)

Now I'm jealous :haha:. Illinois Muzzleloader season is a joke. It's technically a 7-day season. But, here's the catch. The first 4-day weekend of hunting is the 2nd Firearm Season which means you can hunt with any legal deer-hunting firearm. It's considered muzzleloader season because you can use you muzzleloader permit early as long as you used a muzzleloader. So, really the season is only 3 days in mid-December :shake:. That's why I hunt all firearm seasons with my muzzleloaders.

lookin good! ours are coverd in velvet now too , have been for a little bit ,but a little skinnier as weve been in a drought till now. still eatin venison from last year but its gettin a little low! we dont get to shoot till nov either! but from then on they better be hiding pretty good! :grin:

yessir...

did cheat a bit though today, still have some in the freezer :grin:

luie b said:
Now I'm jealous :haha:. Illinois Muzzleloader season is a joke. It's technically a 7-day season. But, here's the catch. The first 4-day weekend of hunting is the 2nd Firearm Season which means you can hunt with any legal deer-hunting firearm. It's considered muzzleloader season because you can use you muzzleloader permit early as long as you used a muzzleloader. So, really the season is only 3 days in mid-December :shake:. That's why I hunt all firearm seasons with my muzzleloaders.

NY was similar - we had the seven days following regular season and it was shared with bow. So who has vacation left by December 15th? Which ment one weekend for most folks. Lotsa fun priming a flintlock in -15°F. Now it's nine days after regular - still shared with late bow.

Like you I use the m/l for regular season. I'd like to see a trad only week, but the state surveys only had 20% of hunters favoring that. Oh well. So as long as they allow trad m/l throughout regular season I'm happy.

Well, I should change something in my statement. I hunted 2 days of gun season with my scoped slug gun. I regret it now because I know I would've had more fun hunting the way I like to instead of trying to "look more professional" like I thought when I made the decision to leave the muzzleloader in the truck. The first day of season I harvested a button buck in the morning and sat with my shotgun in the evening and had a 9-point that'd score around 130" maybe at 55 yards in a cut bean field with a shooting rail for me to rest my gun on. I passed it up because I didn't want to shoot that small of a deer with a shotgun. I would take him any day with a muzzleloader and have him mounted because that's a great deer, and great story to have accomplished with a muzzleloader.

whil looking at this pic i said to myself,self if you were hunting right now which one would you take? my answer was the far left one , how bout you guys? :grin:

Back