• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1:24" or 1:66"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i was reading on the pedersoli website that their .50 double rifle is 1:24". the guy at the shop said 1:66". obviously im going to have to go back and clarify with him, but if it is 1:24", what kind of projectiles are ideal?

Seth,
If the rifle has a 1:24 twist rate it is a bullet gun. Conicals with a pointed nose. Sometimes with the proper load they will shoot round balls with some degree of accuracy but not like a 1:66 round ball twist. I would tend to go with the maufacturer rather than the dealer. Take a rod and tight patch with you and see if he will let you verify what it is.
Mark

I agree Papa. As I had said in an earlier post about your rifle, the 54cal. I saw I thought was a 1/28 but as you said Pedersoli says its 1/24 and that would be right. Thats why I wasn't interested in it because I wanted a RB shooter. Now at reduced loads it will shoot them pretty good. I have a friend that has a 1/28 or some fast twist in a 45cal. and it does good but with a reduced load which defeats the purpose. Did you get the scope mount off?

not yet,
really needs to be done. there's hardly any room to work the nipple wrench with that thing on. plus it just doesnt look right.

I have a 1:28 twist rifle that will shoot very tiny groups with a .490 ball over 80 grains of 3F.

I had a similar issue with a Pedersoli double fifty. It turns out they used to make them with a mid-range twist but switched to the 1:24. The newer ones have the tighter twist I believe specifically for the firing of big conicals. People usually buy the doubles to shoot large conicals, not roundballs. The Ped. doubles are absolute tanks and can take a stout charge with a heavy bullet.

Back