• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 Ga. Magnum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edlebrock454

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a 10 Gauge magnum double from dgw a few months ago and also picked up some .76 rb's for a prb load and was thinking about 100 to 110 grains FFg, anyone fired this gun with a load like this, how was the accuracy and recoil on this, just curious if I might have myself a dandy punkin ball load that knocks me and anything I shoot over, thanks.

I shoot 90 grains of 2F in my .715 Bess and find it comfortable enough to shoot all day without padding. You will have a bit more recoil with 100 grains behind a .76 but if the expected heavy recoil doesn't bother you it should be fun.

Many Klatch

Preciate your input, I'm looking forward to touching off a couple of those loads and will put up the info on it, thanks.

I use similar loads in my Bess, and they're not uncomfortable at all- certainly less than a modern shotgun. I've gone as high as 120 grains of 2f and still don't consider it a heavy recoiler by any means. And it's surprisingly accurate at all charge levels I've tried.

Look forward to some fun. I don't thin you will be disappointed.

A .715 ball weighs 550 grains in pure lead. A Bess weighs about 10 pounds.
A .760 ball weighs 660 grains in pure lead and the DGW 10 bore weighs 7 and 1/4 pounds.
I'd think the recoil in the shotgun might be more noticeable. Especially if you tried to get the 10 velocity up to a serious hunting level. It's going to take more than 100-110 grains of powder to do that.

How can a front loading, black powder rifle be called a "magnum"?

By the way I shoot 110 -120 grain 3F loads all the time under 1/4 ounce of lead and it is not at all bad on the shoulder. 2F will be even more comfy.

It can be called most anything if you are a marketing man. Truth in advertising is essentially an oxy-moron. :rotf:

I've shot pretty much the same load out of the right barrel of my Pedersoli 10. It works good, and isn't abusive to shoot. Just a big slow push. Whatever's on the other end, however, seems to take a beating :wink:

Russ T Frizzen said:
A .715 ball weighs 550 grains in pure lead. A Bess weighs about 10 pounds.
A .760 ball weighs 660 grains in pure lead and the DGW 10 bore weighs 7 and 1/4 pounds.
I'd think the recoil in the shotgun might be more noticeable. Especially if you tried to get the 10 velocity up to a serious hunting level. It's going to take more than 100-110 grains of powder to do that.

Actually, the bore dia of a 10 ga should be .775, so it should shoot a ball about .745 dia., using a .015-.020 patch. That .745 ball will weigh about 600 gr.

My hunting load with the bess is 90 gr FFG. That relatively light load still packs quite a punch. Those big balls don't need allot of velocity to do a LOT of damage, so I suspect that a 100 gr load will launch that 600 gr ball with enough authority to punch through a coupla deer at 50 yards. Once large caliber balls get moving, it takes a LOT to stop them.

If one is concerned about the weight/recoil of those .745 balls, cast 'em in wheel weights or a harder alloy. They will be a coupla thou larger in diameter, and somewhat lighter, but still heavy enough to do the job. In a smoothbore, hardness or softness of the ball doesn't make a nickels worth of difference.

That said, the weight difference of hard vs soft balls probably won't make any appreciable difference in recoil, but the slightly larger diameter might make a difference in accuracy...possibly.

Balls cast of harder alloys do penetrate more deeply than soft lead balls, BTW.

God bless

I was responding to the original poster. He said he was going to use .76" balls. Even so, a 600 grain ball over the charges he mentioned, when fired in a 7 and 1/4 pound gun ought to be noticeable.

I put together a 10 gage double barrel from DGW several years ago. I shoot 90 grains over a 2oz load and I can tell you that gun kicks harder than any other gun I own. Hold on to it because it going give you a beating. The steel butt plate needs to be replaced with a nice rubber one. If you don't flich now that gun of yours will help you develope one. Good luck with it. :thumbsup: SS

I own one of them and maybe I'm just a big baby but I have shot a .75 RB out of mine once with 115 grains and won't do it again. A big shove is not how I would describe it. 90 grains is about all I want with a .75 RB is about all I want. Those Besses weigh almost 3 lbs more than this gun.

Yep, the notion that heavy loads give a slow push is pure hogwash! All else being equal, a heavy GUN will have a slower recoil velocity but heavy LOADS in a light gun just flat out KICK! :shake:

As far as felt recoil, a lot depends on the stock dimensions. I've never shot a Bess, but the pedersoli ten stock fits pretty well, and a shotgun stock, usually having a lot less drop than other designs, can lessen felt recoil. IMHO I've yet to really find a black powder gun that I thought kicked a lot. When compared to most of the "modern stuff" the black powder is more of a push than a kick. :wink:

I shot patched .735 RB over 110grains 1f goex and found it to work well and not beat me up. And over powder wad seemed to tighten the group up.

My Turkey load was 1 5/8 oz of #5 shot, corrugated cardboard wads 3 of them, 110 gr 1f goex, very bad medicine on old tom even at 35-40 yard.

By the way I punched my own wads(Banana boxes) I made my wad cutter from a piece black iron pipe the was 3/4"ID, and over shot card (Cheerios Boxes) and I place one over shot card in the right barrel and 2 in the left. My shots were at least colorful!!

Why you ask 2 cards in the left barrel, the recoil from the Right (First Barrel) sometimes caused the load in the left barrel to creep forward.

Have fun, it's a load of fun when you out shoot your buddys with the old soot belcher!!

The Pedersoli 10-gauge double doesn't fit my cheek architecture very well for some reason, and I used to get bruises no matter what load I shot in it. However, the .72 Kodiak double was a pussycat in comparison, possibly owing to the mass in the rifled barrels.
I'm looking into a 10-gauge flint smoothie, which ought to be interesting.

Back