• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

100% Pure Petroleum Jelly For My Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokehouseman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now here's something to try should you do what I did. This morning I when to retrieve a long gun I hadn't used for sometime. I noticed that laying underneath the stock was a pair of work gloves with that rubber grip surface on them. When I lifted the gun the gloves stuck to the stock. Upon inspection I found that the gloves had some sticky gooey stuff that had now set up and adhered solidly to the stock in a rather large patch. :shocked2: I thought I would try to remove it without removing the finish and having to redo the entire stock. With the use of a soft cotton rag and a liberal amount of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly I carefully went to work on it. Much to my surprise I liberated every bit of the solid gunk from the stock without removing any of the finish on the stock. The finish was a red stain filler/seal coat and on top of that was a concoction of tung oil, turpentine and bees wax I had made up. Anyway it worked for me and hope you don't have to resort to such methods but if you do you might consider this application.

Thanks for the tip! I will file it away in the ol' memory bank, and probably remember it...oh, right up until the point where I need it. Then I'll be scratching my head and going, "WHAT did he use, now...?"
Repeat after me; petroleum jelly...petroleum jelly.. :wink:

Latest posts

Back