• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did paul's hammer/nipple fit to a troublesome CVA,,viola' no more problem,,
Thank's Paul :hatsoff:

I wouldn't mess around with the old caps anymore, just toss'm, or I'd give'm too one of my fellow competitors

I understand, Jim. And, its a good idea. But without actually seeing the nipple, I would not recommend doing this first. I just have had too many troubles with original CVA nipples, and, apparently those problems persist with some of the imported guns still made. I think an "after-market" nipple, like the treso, or spitfire, or hot shot, is going to give more reliable service. I have been using stainless steel nipples now for years in my guns without complaint. One of these days, I am going to buy some of those expensive Bronze/Berylium alloy nipples, and hopefully never have to buy another nipple again.

My first rifle would not fire a cap until it was struck a second time. The gun, and nipple came from a manufacturer in Spain. I found that the nipple did not align with the face of the hammer, and "solved" the problem as I recommended above. As soon as I could get to the next shoot at Friendship, I bought a couple of replacement nipples made of stainless steel, and the consistency of ignition improved immediately.

MY groups fired from the bench shrunk in half! What I thought was a good noise maker, and a so-so plinking gun, became a highly accurate little .45 rifle, that won lots of shoots, and prizes.

Testing the contact between the face of the hammer and the top of the nipple is very easy and quick to do. If the test shows full contact, Then go ahead and file down the barrel of the nipple to fit the small caps. :hatsoff:

paulvallandigham said:
I understand, Jim. And, its a good idea. But without actually seeing the nipple, I would not recommend doing this first. I just have had too many troubles with original CVA nipples, and, apparently those problems persist with some of the imported guns still made. I think an "after-market" nipple, like the treso, or spitfire, or hot shot, is going to give more reliable service. I have been using stainless steel nipples now for years in my guns without complaint. One of these days, I am going to buy some of those expensive Bronze/Berylium alloy nipples, and hopefully never have to buy another nipple again.

My first rifle would not fire a cap until it was struck a second time. The gun, and nipple came from a manufacturer in Spain. I found that the nipple did not align with the face of the hammer, and "solved" the problem as I recommended above. As soon as I could get to the next shoot at Friendship, I bought a couple of replacement nipples made of stainless steel, and the consistency of ignition improved immediately.

MY groups fired from the bench shrunk in half! What I thought was a good noise maker, and a so-so plinking gun, became a highly accurate little .45 rifle, that won lots of shoots, and prizes.

Testing the contact between the face of the hammer and the top of the nipple is very easy and quick to do. If the test shows full contact, Then go ahead and file down the barrel of the nipple to fit the small caps. :hatsoff:

Paul, you need to reread the first post. Yes he can try your trick. But he has two different brands of caps, one works, one does not. He also has two nipples, no reason he can't turn one down to fit the CVA's.

This is an "if", just a what-if.
Sometimes when a hammer cup rubs on the cap on the way down it will fire on the second try. And, the tougher the cap material the more resistance the hammer gets. Tough brass like on the CVA caps more so than on thin soft copper caps like RWS.
So, what if. There could be some misalignment that's not totally obvious. I've suffered through that with two pieces (a Zouave and a GPR)so thought it might be worth mentioning.

GoodCheer said:
Sometimes when a hammer cup rubs on the cap on the way down it will fire on the second try. And, the tougher the cap material the more resistance the hammer gets. Tough brass like on the CVA caps more so than on thin soft copper caps like RWS.
So, what if. There could be some misalignment that's not totally obvious. I've suffered through that with two pieces (a Zouave and a GPR)so thought it might be worth mentioning.

Did you try Paul V trick witht the lipestick?

Are you saying the RWS will fire first time and the CVA's need a second cocking and will fire then most of the time?

I picked up a tin of CCI's. Seat beautifully Night and day.Completely cover mid port on nipple.Will retire old stock. Thanks to all.

Swampy said:
GoodCheer said:

Did you try Paul V trick witht the lipestick?

Are you saying the RWS will fire first time and the CVA's need a second cocking and will fire then most of the time?

Not that the copper caps would fire every time but that the brass was more liable to resisting the fall of the rubbing hammer. On the GPR what made me realize what was going on was looking at it after it didn't go boom and seeing the side of the copper cap sheared off. It was one of those DUH! moments.

On the Zouave I tore it down and used a rubber mallet and a bench vise on the hammer. On the GPR I found that tightening one loose very small screw inside the lock solved the problem.

Latest posts

Back