• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

120gr FFFG??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken .50cal rifle. I want to shoot PRB's from it. I took it to the range and got crappy results. 4" groups at 25 yards. On the advice of a buddy, I increased my charge from 80gr on up to 100gr. This shrunk my groups to about 2.5" at 25 yards. So, I decided to push the proverbial envelope a bit and go up to my max load of 120gr. Well, this did the trick. The groups were easily 2" at 50 yards, which is what I wanted. But I am not so sure about the 120gr FFFG Goex load. To me, it seems too high. I would feel more comfortable shooting 90gr or less.

I am using 120gr. of FFFg Goex & T/C No.703 pre-cut patches lubed with bore-butter & a .49 cal Hornady round ball. These are a very tight fit. I'm a pretty strong guy and its really hard to seat the ball. Should I start with a thinner patch or go to FFg first? Thanks.

I recommend you try 2fg first, and drop the charge to 50 grains to start. The T/C's have a 1:48 twist rate, so I believe 90 grains plus would be a tad too much for a PRB.

How did your fired patches look with the 120-grain load?

The T-C maximum recommended load is 110 grains of FFg, so 120 of FFFg is pushing it a bit.
Try recovering some of your patches to see if they are cutting/burning. There have some folks that have questionable results with pre-lubed patches, seems they decompose depending how long they were on the shelf.
Is this a brand-new rifle? Maybe just needs broken it a bit to tighten up the groups.

This is not a new rifle. The patches are not pre-lubed. I have not recovered any patches.

This is not a new rifle. The patches are not pre-lubed.
Oh, then never mind about that.
Try about 55 grains and see how it shoots. You may have started too high (80) and kept going higher, when maybe improvement would have been seen going lower.

I will try 55gr of the FFFg. I also will try my Pyrodex Select FFg and start with 55gr as well. I really am interested in trying a different patch. Many folks seem to believe in the pillow ticking material for a patch, so I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for your help.

TC's loading manual say for a 50 cal with patched round ball 110 grains of 2F is max. I'd change over to 2F is you plan to shoot 110 grains. There was an article in March/April 2010 issue of Muzzleloader magazine written by Fred shutzenberger a well know builder. He talks about how his match rifle stopped shooting one hole groups. Increasing the powder charge worked for a few hundred rounds. In the end he add 25 grains of grits over the powder and the groups improved a lot. I haven't tried it myself yet, but yesterday wife picked some grits so I could try it. The reason for the grits was not to protect the patch but rather to move the ball up a bit in the barrel. He found that after a rifle had been fired for a while the lower part of the barrel starts to get get worn and this is why increasing the powder charge often tightens groups later on. The increased powder charge is allowing the ball to be seated higher up inside the barrel. The use of grits does the same thing with a lighter powder charge.

Any filler will do the same thing as "grits". Corn meal, corn flour ( corn muffin flour-very finely ground), farina, cream of wheat, and even plain Oats work.

Whenever someone says their guns shoots better loading more powder than was loaded in the old .50-70 cartridge- Buffalo Bill's favorite Buffalo killing rifle cartridge-- I begin to wonder if the real problem is that the the load combination is not sealing their barrel adequately. The recoil from using those 100 gr.+ loads is substantial, and that is not conducive to consistently good accurate shooting, no matter who the shooter is.

We continually have posters here writing about using heavy loads with heavy bullets- often exceeding the powder charges in these fine old black powder cartridges, in Percussion rifles that were never designed, nor intended to take those kinds of pressures. The Steel barrels will take the beatings, but I have to wonder about the nipples, and more specifically, the THREADS on those nipples.

I know that modern gun makers over engineer many of these parts anticipating that if they publish a maximum load of 110 grains of BLACK POWDER , using FFg Goex, that someone is going to load FFFg Goex, and others will load Swiss, a hotter burning powder, and still others will ignore all advice, and stuff substitute powders down those barrels that burn at much hotter temperatures, and produce even higher chamber pressures.

Throw in a 400 grain bullet, much less something heavier, or add the plastic shoes and copper jacketed bullets, and you have a formula that can't be good for these rifles. Something has to come undone eventually. It won't be the barrel, usually. I have seen published reports showing chamber pressures in the 30-35,000 cup( copper units of pressure) range, in guns that were intended to function between 8,000-12,000 cup ranges of pressures.

I don't understand why anyone would want to try to make a .45 caliber percussion rifle into a .45-120 rifle, when their are replica BP CARTRIDGE rifles made again in that caliber that are designed to take those pressures. And, that brass cartridge casing alone can withstand lots of pressure, adding to the safety margin of the guns. None of this is present in the typical .45 caliber percussion MLer. The same observation must be made about .50 cal, and .54 cal. guns that people stuff 120 grains and 140 grains in, respectively, when comparable BP Cartridge guns in those calibers are available.

Years ago i met a man who told of shooting 150 grains of FFFg Goex( then Dupont) powder in his new .50 caliber T/C, using Maxiballs, and then complained about the bruises to his shoulder from firing 5 shots. I asked to shake his hand, and he asked me why? I told him it was an honor to shake a hand that was still attacked by an arm to his body!

I then asked him where he got those "loads", and he claimed the clerk in the K-mart store where he bought the gun gave him that load, and sold him the powder and bullets. I went on to explain that this gun was designed to be shot from his upper arm, not his shoulder, which explained the deep bruises, and then told him the maximum charges that T/C recommended for his gun. I then told him what I was shooting in my .50 caliber rifle, including discussing the merits of a PRB. I gave him a business card with my home phone on it, but I never heard from him.

I have stopped trying to warn, and caution new posters on this forum about the loads they are using. It would be a full-time job. Perhaps this is one of the Almighty's ways of cleaning out the gene pool. I don't want to interfere. They won't listen to me, anyway. :shocked2: :( :youcrazy: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I've owned a T/C .50 caliber for a dozen years or so and never got better than mediocre accuracy from it, say 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Since I used it only for rendezvous shoots and plinking I just never tried loads heavier than 50-60 grains of 3f. Then one day I was thinking of using it as my spare rifle for hunting and upped the load to 100 grains of 3f. The result at 50 yards was 5 shots in one ragged hole. I don't know why but there it was.
The load you describe should not be hard to load, certainly not if you swab the bore between shots. If you haven't been swabbing you might give it a try. T/C bores are very consistent in diameter and I have loaded my T/C .50 with a .490" ball and .032" blue jean patch, spit lubed without swabbing for 5 shots. That is using a 7/16" wooden dowel as a "range rod", the little tinker toy they put under the barrel would probably not be up to the job and certainly would be hard on the hand. :grin:

Start with 50 grains, shoot three times aiming at the same place on the target, noting where it hits. Then increase by 5 grains, repeat until you get the tightest groups, not to exceed maximum for your rifle. Use a .490 RB and a .015 lubed patch. Once you find the right powder charge for your rifle then you can start to fine tune things by changing patch thickness and/or type of lube, ball diameter or adjusting your sights. I would also suggest swabbing with an alcohol dampend cleaning patch between every shot or every three shots to keep loading easier.

I have stopped trying to warn, and caution new posters on this forum about the loads they are using. It would be a full-time job. Perhaps this is one of the Almighty's ways of cleaning out the gene pool. I don't want to interfere. They won't listen to me, anyway

Well, as tedious as it has become to give it, thank you for the advice. :) I will start working up a load with a light charge like 55gr.

Thanks everyone who has responded. I will report back with my results.

I agree :bow:
PAUL, don't stop giving out that advice. He may never have called but he also may have done what you suggested. It is like telling your child over and over about something. It WILL sink in one day. So, Thank you for your advice. :thumbsup:

Still do not know why people need that heavy a load. Most deer shots are below 75 yards and 75 grains will work VERY well.

Waste of powder IMHO.

Cheers, DonK

Back