• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1356 Miles for 20 minutes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptleo1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
20Min-2.jpg

Sometimes a plan just comes together.

wowee! I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, but a few more details would be appreciated. There has to be a great story with this one.
bramble

That looks like a trophy room in a day. Hope theres a story to come when the nerves get settled. congratulations. :hatsoff:

I'm thinking that's how far he travelled to hunt for 20 minutes.....Nice Bucks!! :bow:

sur nough reel nice bucks cptleo.............BUT if'n ya leave it like this....1356 miles..20 minutes :hmm: ...roadkill?????? gotta have us a bleepin :nono: story to go with the pic!......ya know how our minds wander.......678 miles bump deer,,,,nother 678 miles bump! bump! boom! (that'd be the bigger one!) question then ..one of the new fangled suv's er a more traditional p/u ole o'course.....see? :rotf: :shocked2: RC

1300 miles from Forida. I'm off to the chart room to calculate a likely destination in whitetail range unless you want to clue us in?

Now do you s'pose they were standing there as they now lay and it was 1356 miles, 20 minutes, ONE SHOT??

May only be a year apart by the looks of it.

Buy ya, they definatly look like their closely related, half brothers I would suspect.

barebackjack said:
May only be a year apart by the looks of it.

Buy ya, they definatly look like their closely related, half brothers I would suspect.

Yep, prolly half-brothers... and cousins... and their both each others uncle... kinda hard to explain that one but, you know, things get kinda crazy during the rut and...

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I live in SW Florida.

The hunt was about 80 miles from Abilene TX

Game cameras were set up when the bucks were in velvet.

It was soon apparent that we were on to a good thing.

The property is a little over 500 ac. and has been tied up in probate court for 5-6 years (contested will).

To the best of my knowledge no one has set foot on the land during that whole time.

A hunting buddy from TX was kind enough to set up 4 blinds on the property.

Rut peak NOV 20
Hunt to start the 16th

Evening of the first sit =

3 does being chased by
1/2 doz asst. small bucks.

I was a little disappointed, I had driven a long way (1356mi) and I had pictures of several good bucks from the trail cameras.

This is my first TX deer hunt and I have been dreaming about this for years.

I had set a personal goal of a past the ears 10 pt. - A good solid TX buck

What had me nervous was these little bucks ran the poor does ragged, made a heck of a racket and no bigger bucks came 'round.

Next morning I try a stand up on a small bluff.

Hopefully I could see more from up there and figure what’s going on.

Pretty basic from here.

In the stand at 6:15

I hear some noise in a gully and the 10 point pops up about 40 yds in front of me.

I can see he is outside his ears, good mass, and dark horns - A good solid TX buck -

Question .......wait/don't wait
Wait/don’t wait
Wait/don’t wait

Well opportunity was knocking and it was time to answer the door.

.610 ball
75gr fff
A spark
A puff of smoke
A fat 56 yr old man with a large smile on his face.

This is my third deer with my Tulle and he never took a step. I have never seen a ML deer go down that quickly. The .62 is an amazing thing.

I reload (out of habit - not necessity) and am sitting there basking in the moment.

Admiring the morning sun on his shining coat, He is only 47 steps away, when out of the corner of my eye I see some movement.

Slowly I turn and take a look.. at his big brother.

Opportunity knocks...........

Latest posts

Back