• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1700's Fusil Musket identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I originally started a thread in the Flintlock subforum, then found this one a few minutes ago which appears to be a better fit for identification purposes. Bare with me as I load all 51 assorted pictures here (10 at a time)

I've owned this musket for over 30 years, received it in trade against an unpaid debt, I was told it was a 1740's Dutch Musket at the time, but know nothing else in regards to it's history.
So after reading threads here for the last month, I'm wondering if anyone can assist in identifying this musket

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Attachments

• barrel.length.jpg
    barrel.length.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 75
  • barrel.opening.width.jpg
    barrel.opening.width.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 67
  • barrel_1_musket.jpg
    barrel_1_musket.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 66
  • bass_detail_trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    bass_detail_trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 66
  • bayonet1.jpg
    bayonet1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 73
  • bayonet2.jpg
    bayonet2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 63
  • bayonet3.jpg
    bayonet3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 60
  • bayonet4.jpg
    bayonet4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 65
  • bayonet5.jpg
    bayonet5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63
  • bayonet6.jpg
    bayonet6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 61
2nd batch of ten

Attachments

• bayonett_musket.jpg
    bayonett_musket.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 56
  • brass_detail_barrel_musket.jpg
    brass_detail_barrel_musket.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 54
  • brass_detail_musket.jpg
    brass_detail_musket.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 51
  • brass_detail_musket2.jpg
    brass_detail_musket2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 52
  • brass_detail_musket3.jpg
    brass_detail_musket3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 57
  • brass_work_musket.jpg
    brass_work_musket.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 61
  • butt_2_musket.jpg
    butt_2_musket.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 61
  • butt_brass_musket.jpg
    butt_brass_musket.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 65
  • butt_musket.jpg
    butt_musket.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cs_is_musket.jpg
    cs_is_musket.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 53
3rd set of pictures

Attachments

• front_trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    front_trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 72
  • long_musket.jpg
    long_musket.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 83
  • makers_marks_2_musket.jpg
    makers_marks_2_musket.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 71
  • makers_marks_musket.jpg
    makers_marks_musket.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 63
  • makersmarks1.jpg
    makersmarks1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 65
  • makersmarks2.jpg
    makersmarks2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 62
  • makersmarks3.jpg
    makersmarks3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 62
  • makersmarks4.jpg
    makersmarks4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 59
  • request1.jpg
    request1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 73
  • request2.jpg
    request2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 65
4th set of pictures

Attachments

• request3.jpg
    request3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 43
  • request4.jpg
    request4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 46
  • request5.jpg
    request5.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 43
  • request6.jpg
    request6.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 46
  • request7.jpg
    request7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 45
  • request8.jpg
    request8.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 51
  • request9.jpg
    request9.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 49
  • request10.jpg
    request10.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 55
  • request11.jpg
    request11.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52
  • stock_1_musket.jpg
    stock_1_musket.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 50
5th set

Attachments

• stock_2_musket.jpg
    stock_2_musket.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 55
  • stock_bottom.jpg
    stock_bottom.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 54
  • stock_top.jpg
    stock_top.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 49
  • stock_top2.jpg
    stock_top2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 52
  • trigger_2_musket.jpg
    trigger_2_musket.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 60
  • trigger_detail_above_musket.jpg
    trigger_detail_above_musket.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 57
  • trigger_guard_detail_musket2.jpg
    trigger_guard_detail_musket2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 57
  • trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    trigger_guard_musket.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 57
  • trigger_musket.jpg
    trigger_musket.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 52
  • trigger_top.jpg
    trigger_top.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 48
I'll give it a go. The barrel marks look Spanish to me. Usually would have brass inlayed with name or initials of the maker. I believe the brass has come out of yours so it is hard to recognize. That lock is definitely Italian, and early. I believe the furniture is also Italian. This style lock dates back as far as the 1670s and and modern as maybe the 1740s so it's hard to date. The shape of the hunting bayonet that came with it as well as the trigger guard make me think 1st quarter 18th century, possibly as far back as the last decade of the 17th century. Very interesting musket.

I agree with Flint in Post #7. A good guess. The Spanish barrel on an Italian gun would not be unusual since Southern Italy was controlled by Spain during this period. But the overall stock and lock architecture has the flavor of something from Northern Italy. It's definitely an interesting and early musket. It would likely fetch a better price today than the original 30 year old debt. LOL Congratulations. A very nice piece.

Rick

The butt plate screw heads I’ve seen on real Dutch fowlers I’ve handled have been HUGE, a good 1/2” or bigger in diameter, with a big rounded dome ‘pan head’ style that has to be a good 1/4” proud of the plate surface.

Man … my shoulder hurts just looking at them!

A really cool gun. I would say it's German or Dutch, maybe 1760ish. I only use that date because I have a military Rev. War Jaeger rifle with almost exactly the same lock. It could be earlier, though. German and Dutch guns can fool you. I have no idea about the barrel marks. I have seen several German and Czeck pistols that have had the tang covered in brass like this one. It's interesting that it has a flat toe, like a rifle. But the furniture, engraving' and carving at the rear of the tang looks French too, so? How's that for a big I don't really know? I REALLY like it!

Last edited:
The butt plate screw heads I’ve seen on real Dutch fowlers I’ve handled have been HUGE, a good 1/2” or bigger in diameter, with a big rounded dome ‘pan head’ style that has to be a good 1/4” proud of the plate surface.

Man … my shoulder hurts just looking at them!
You're right. Also the German and Dutch military muskets are crazy large! This is on an early Dutch musket.
20220216_180851.jpg

The engraving on the brass hardware - including the punch mark decoration - looks Italian to me. Even the thumb piece. The brass overlay on the barrel tang is a familiar feature on personal/sporting guns from Northern Italy. The overall stock architecture and the lock do indeed look 1750 or earlier.

Interesting side note: Personal/sporting guns from Southern Italy (controlled by Spain) usually turn up with Catalan style stocks and Spanish style miquelet locks. Shoulder arms from Central and Northern Italy tend to have more traditional European style stocks and either Roman style miquelet or traditional French style flintlocks.

Rick

Looks like a British fusil probably a personalized fusil. I’d say french and Indian war era. A couple of things tell me it’s British. 1. The frizzen spring final and 2. The thimble styles.

I think you guys are right, but the stock to me is definately German or Dutch, with those stubby tear drops behind the lock mortice. It's like a mixture of everything. Still a really nice fusil!

I have seen this gun somewhere before.

While the barrel marks have the appearance of being Spanish, that really doesn't mean anything (the barrel marks may have had gold in them, which has been pried out). Real and fake Spanish barrels were used all over Europe. The gun looks Dutch, or perhaps even more likely Belgian. 1740-1760. I see nothing Italian about it. The bayonet would put it in the category of an officer's fusil. And very nice and rare that the bayonet is still with the gun!

The buttplate is most interesting as it has a round toe, but the bottom of the stock is flat... yet the buttplate fits with the rest of the hardware, and it looks like it belongs on the stock otherwise.

I have seen this gun somewhere before.

While the barrel marks have the appearance of being Spanish, that really doesn't mean anything (the barrel marks may have had gold in them, which has been pried out). Real and fake Spanish barrels were used all over Europe. The gun looks Dutch, or perhaps even more likely Belgian. 1740-1760. I see nothing Italian about it. The bayonet would put it in the category of an officer's fusil. And very nice and rare that the bayonet is still with the gun!

The buttplate is most interesting as it has a round toe, but the bottom of the stock is flat... yet the buttplate fits with the rest of the hardware, and it looks like it belongs on the stock otherwise.

Except the other thread I started on this site before I found this subforum, I may have posted pictures 15-20+ years ago elsewhere online when I last unrolled it from it's warm blanket covering. Otherwise, it's never been shown, at least not while we have owned it. Would be interesting if there is another like it out there. I've learned so much in the last few weeks here. Eventually I'll have to find someone in a few hours driving distance to actually appraise it for estate purposes.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Bill

No expert but I'm going to throw out there Dutch, but a hunting gun not musket. It was somewhat common for well off men to have guns for hunting with bayonets. Seen it on Dutch and German arms. I don't see anything that says military to me. Either way it's a great piece.

Latest posts

Back