• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1842 Armi Sport .69 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What diameter of ball mold should I get to shoot this gun with patched ball loads?
I should mention that I am an l advocate of smaller balls and thicker patches in all my guns. The thicker patches load easier and carry more lube.
I may get into shooting paper cartridges later, which I know will require an even smaller ball.

0.662 Lyman ball for patched loads. 0.678 ball for bare ball loads. 0.65 ball for original paper cartridge loads. Actually, all will work for patched ball loads depending on the patch thickness. But for a standard patch the .662 works the best in my opinion.

Bob

0.662 Lyman ball for patched loads. 0.678 ball for bare ball loads. 0.65 ball for original paper cartridge loads. Actually, all will work for patched ball loads depending on the patch thickness. But for a standard patch the .662 works the best in my opinion.

Bob
Balls should really not be patched to more than bore size.

No matter what the regulators of historical accuracy tell you, try measuring the bore.
My Armisport .69 caliber has a .696" bore diameter. It is rifled and the groove diameter is around .703", eh, but never mind that. We have Armisports so find out what you have and go forth accordingly. The market available gasket punches and ball molds will likely as not dictate what you end up making work and work they will.

No matter what the regulators of historical accuracy tell you, try measuring the bore.
My Armisport .69 caliber has a .696" bore diameter. It is rifled and the groove diameter is around .703", eh, but never mind that. We have Armisports so find out what you have and go forth accordingly. The market available gasket punches and ball molds will likely as not dictate what you end up making work and work they will.
Apples to oranges. I know you got your knickers in a wad, but keep it topical. He is talking about a smoothbore. It is after all in the smoothbore forum.

Hey, I’m open to any and all .69 musket-related info.
To be honest. It’s not an incredibly interesting subject. .69 smoothbores were primarily used by the military. Some did get surplussed out and became family fowlers. There were 5 loads for the M1842, ball, buck & ball, buck shot, blank and when they came out there was a Minie load for the rifled muskets.

Did I say something against his Armisport?
……didn’t think so
My goodness! Every post that I stumble upon by you is snarky, ignorant and rude.

Lighten up. It is no wonder new people think many of us “black powder fanatics” are a bunch of ignorant and inbred jerks.

The gentleman asked for help, and other nice folks are trying help. You insult lots of people, their questions and others advice.

You may be a self proclaimed expert, but many good people (myself included) do not know, and are eager to learn. And lots of nice people on this forum have been very helpful to others ( my self included, I’ve learned so much).

I don’t know what your issue is.

My goodness! Every post that I stumble upon by you is snarky, ignorant and rude.

Lighten up. It is no wonder new people think many of us “black powder fanatics” are a bunch of ignorant and inbred jerks.

The gentleman asked for help, and other nice folks are trying help. You insult lots of people, their questions and others advice.

You may be a self proclaimed expert, but many good people (myself included) do not know, and are eager to learn. And lots of nice people on this forum have been very helpful to others ( my self included, I’ve learned so much).

I don’t know what your issue is.
nkBJ brought the attitude from another discussion. And I never proclaimed myself an expert. Just giving out free info from a lot of out of print expensive books.

And we were having a good discussion about balls for a .69 before that.

So what is your issue. You attack for no reason.

Last edited:
What diameter of ball mold should I get to shoot this gun with patched ball loads?
I should mention that I am an l advocate of smaller balls and thicker patches in all my guns. The thicker patches load easier and carry more lube.
I may get into shooting paper cartridges later, which I know will require an even smaller ball.
Let's think a bit about what you have in your possession. It is a smooth bored military musket. The intent is to have an easy to load firearm.

To start with we should measure the bore diameter. That gives us a place to begin thinking about where we go with our loading procedure.

To get an easy to load round start with thick patches of about 0.020" to 0.025" and select an available ball that is 0.040" less than the measured bore diameter. That will be easy to load and have military accuracy.

A bit more precision on target may be obtained when using a patch of 0.015" that compresses to 0.011". The selected ball should be 0.020" less than bore diameter. that will be in the range of 0.662 to 0.670".

When using a aper wrapped cartridge, make a mandrel for wrapping the ball so that when the mandrel is wrapped with the desired paper, it is 0.003" less than the measured bore diameter. In fact, it can be less than that up to 0,015" or more. After all, this is a smooth bored gun and rifle like accuracy should not be an expectation. The ball should be no bigger than the final diameter of the mandrel and is probably better to be smaller than the mandrel diameter. The crumbled-up paper of the powder side of the cartridge will act as a wad to hold the ball securely in place. I have dipped the ball end of a paper cartridge in melted lube to attempt to control fouling. I have also had success with getting off repeated shots using paper cartridges by spitting on the paper wrapped ball as I load the ball.

It can be quite the adventure to get comfortable with the loading of smooth bored muskets.

Back