• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why haven't we heard about the super-Walker?
Your on the wrong thread dicky my Lad. Go to the Walker thread, any up dates will be on there.
I'm still considering a new loading lever latch or block for the original and perhaps dovetailing a new front sight on after some shooting of ball and bullet to see where they register from the factory.
That Uberti 51 in the video sure knocks the short arbor no accuracy and the guns will self destruct notion in the head doesn't it , seeing as it is a very old and well used short arbor gun ! Hum, now where have I heard that said before. 😄

That Uberti 51 in the video sure knocks the short arbor no accuracy and the guns will self destruct notion in the head doesn't it , seeing as it is a very old and well used short arbor gun ! Hum, now where have I heard that said before. 😄

Never said they can't be accurate, said they'd be MORE accurate.
You tend to add baggage where there isn't any. The "correct" arbor is mostly about longevity and CORRECTNESS, the accuracy is a benefit. I've said before you may not get enough power shooting "target" loads in a Navy to make a difference in the "destruction" category (remember ? That's why I shoot +p's? You can't get close to that with bp loads ) you'll definitely get a more accurate setup though . . . WITHOUT a "perfect wedge".

Mike

Last edited:
Never said they can't be accurate, said they'd be MORE accurate.
You tend to add baggage where there isn't any. The "correct" arbor is mostly about longevity and CORRECTNESS, the accuracy is a benefit. I've said before you may not get enough power shooting "target" loads in a Navy to make a difference in the "destruction" category (remember ? That's why I shoot +p's? You can't get close to that with bp loads ) you'll definitely get a more accurate setup though . . . WITHOUT a "perfect wedge".

Mike
Have you ever made a wedge and fit it up as described ? If not perhaps you should try it and see if the factory offering cannot be improved. Mine seem to be better than what came with the guns so far.
I have always agreed that end fitting is a good mod but as the video shows first hand they can do very well for decades from the factory even without our specialized help which the majority will never receive.
I do suspect the Walker with it's huge powder capacity is in a class of it's own as apparently they had a reputation for wedge consumption from their genesis with full power loads.
The whole reason for the Walker purchase was to find out for myself if one fit up as the originals were, still eat wedges. If the factory wedge batters with the good end fit then I will make and fit up one of my own and test again.
I wonder what the pressure will be shooting 50-55 grains of 3F behind that rather hard 200 grain ACP heeled bullet? I'd guess it probably around 20 K or more.

Last edited:
I wonder what the pressure will be shooting 50-55 grains of 3F behind that rather hard 200 grain ACP heeled bullet? I'd guess it probably around 20 K or more.

Not even. I'd guess 13K /14K max. Mainly because of a cap instead of a primer (seal / primer hotter), no crimp on the bullet (friction only). I think the original 45C loads were right at the 17-20K mark using the max bp charge and internal primer.

Have you ever made a wedge and fit it up as described ? If not perhaps you should try it and see if the factory offering cannot be improved. Mine seem to be better than what came with the guns so far.

I'm sure "better" wedges can be made and there's nothing wrong with making anything better. The problem with making / using a "super" wedge in a short arbor revolver along with max charges is the battering of the arbor slot / barrel slot. If you take care of the arbor length, the factory wedge will be fine.
To your point though, when I set my wedges up to be "captured wedges", I heat treat the wedge after drilling for the new location for the spring. Started doing that after shooting more +p (23K) rounds. Not because of need ( I showed you pics), just added insurance since I plan on going to higher pressures.

Mike

Last edited:
I do have a sense of what’s required to make hits with pistols at a distance, I’m also told this guy is a champion in European blackpowder competition.

Yup, that's him. All-round great champion shooter - handgun and long arm - AND author. AND lecturer on military history. AND co-owner of THE definitive BP-orientated gunstore in Budapest. Close personal friend of the Pedersolis, and a genuine good guy.

Not even. I'd guess 13K /14K max. Mainly because of a cap instead of a primer (seal / primer hotter), no crimp on the bullet (friction only). I think the original 45C loads were right at the 17-20K mark using the max bp charge and internal primer.

I'm sure "better" wedges can be made and there's nothing wrong with making anything better. The problem with making / using a "super" wedge in a short arbor revolver along with max charges is the battering of the arbor slot / barrel slot. If you take care of the arbor length, the factory wedge will be fine.
To your point though, when I set my wedges up to be "captured wedges", I heat treat the wedge after drilling for the new location for the spring. Started doing that after shooting more +p (23K) rounds. Not because of need ( I showed you pics), just added insurance since I plan on going to higher pressures.

Mike
Hope your right about the pressure with these medium hard cast bullets as I plan on charging the two chambers with bullets already seated in them from the rear through the nipple port, settling the powder with vibration and re-seating the nipples then shooting them out .

Back