• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 cap & ball question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChairForce1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible to take the cylinder and barrel assembly from a .36 revolver and put it on the frame of a .44?

No, the .44 frame is actually an 1860 Army frame, which is longer than the Navy frame. While the .36 barrel can be mounted on the .44 frame you end up with a BC gap around 1/4".

Bakeoven Bill said:
No, the .44 frame is actually an 1860 Army frame, which is longer than the Navy frame. While the .36 barrel can be mounted on the .44 frame you end up with a BC gap around 1/4".
Sorry but that is mis-information. It's the Army grip that is a 1/4" longer than the Navy grip. There is little to no difference in the length of the cylinder opening (that's by actual measurement of my Armies and Navies - the variation in overall length was .005" - probably due to manufacturing tolerances.)
The Army main frame, is the 1851 Navy frame with a rebate to accept the slightly larger diameter cylinder of the Army.
If you want to have the longer grip of the Army it's easier to move the grip and grip frame along with the longer mainspring to your Navy main frame, rather than moving the barrel and cylinder fo the Navy to the Army frame. It may take some minor fitting though due to manufacturaing variances

In addition to Bill's coments I would add you must take into consideration:
Will the hand and bolt line up with the different cylinder?
If the bolt does lock up in the cylinder knotch, does the cylinder chamber line up with the barrel properly?
In any event this is not the job for a layman. If this is the route you wish to follow, have it done by a competent gunsmith.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I can't say if we are talking about a .44 caliber 1851 Colt.
The cylinder of one of these may be different than my .36 caliber 1851 and my .44 caliber 1860.

My .36 caliber 1851 cylinder measures 1.733 in length.
My .44 caliber 1860 cylinder measures 1.835 in length.

That .102 difference in length indicates that I could not install either guns cylinders on the other gun however, the .44 caliber 1851 may well be a different critter.

As this gun never existed and was dreamed up by the Italians they may have created a shorter cylinder in .44 caliber that would match the .36 caliber guns frame.

Back