• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if a consensus exists for a load(s) for .44 with round balls or conicals. I have been mostly using 30 grains Pyrodex P which seems to be a happy place for this revolver. I have some BP coming - finally - and wonder if I should stick with the same or change it up.. If smaller do I add CoW filler so top of RB or conical is at the top of the cylinder?

Added - the BP is both FFG and FFFG

ANd what kind of group size should I be striving for?

Wondering if a consensus exists for a load(s) for .44 with round balls or conicals. I have been mostly using 30 grains Pyrodex P which seems to be a happy place for this revolver. I have some BP coming - finally - and wonder if I should stick with the same or change it up.. If smaller do I add CoW filler so top of RB or conical is at the top of the cylinder?

What's the goal? Hunting, plinking, matches, etc...

For best accuracy, a ball that will just clear the forcing cone is preferred. That may mean you need some filler to get there. As for accuracy, I've seen tuned revolvers in the N-SSA that are capable of a one hole group at 25yd off a rest. And by tuned, I don't mean just some trigger work. Those guns often have the forcing cone reprofiled, the cylinder trued, trigger work, and often a new barrel. It's not unusual that a competitor will have a much in the "tuning" as the cost of the gun to start with.

It all depends on your individual needs

Do you want to shoot as Historically Correct as possible or do you just want convenience?

If you're not shooting in Matches, or plan to, or are practicing for any, I'd forget about any of that corn meal stuff or adding extra steps to the loading process to maybe, bring your groups 1/2" tighter at 25 yards

20230306_131718.jpg

I shot this target from 15 to 25 yards, most from 25 , with 2 box stock Pietta .44 brassers from various standing positions, one hand, two hand etc just using 3f and lead balls, with felt wads. This is plenty "combat accurate " for me. From an offhand position I really am not going to do much better than this at 25. I can shoot a Softball sized group at 50 with one hand, with revolvers I've dialed in a load for.

Keeping the guns running without having to break guns down is a factor for me too, because taking guns apart to wipe them out every 2 cylinders gets old too. So finding ways to keep lube where it needs to go is important if you shoot a lot on a range day.

If you're happy with that load, stay with it.

Good morning Blackrock52.
All I strive for is to hit what I want to, be it a critter, tomato can or cardboard target.
It's always been a matter of finding out what works for the piece in hand.

Mine like 2F over 3F. I use a lubed felt wad under the ball, and use .454 instead of the recommended .451 for my Pietta.

I'm looking for sub 2" groups at 25 yards out of mine, and it will do it. If myeyes are having a good day, it will be around 1.5".

My .36 '61 Navy will do about as well with a .380" ball and .25ish gr of 2F.

2F likes a lot of ramming pressure, but not as much as pyrodex. For 3F, you just want to feel the ball seat against the powder with a light crunch.

Back