• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army loose barrel/frame fit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
always insert the wedge on the side that has the
wedge screw....I still stand my original statement that I think a new wedge pin will snug everything up...
Zonie ( The Moderator) agrees...and a few others...
You never answered on gents question though...
is the cylinder pin ( the pin the cylinder slides over ) loose?

I doubt that it is loose...
I still think you need a new wedge.... :grin:

scalper said:
always insert the wedge on the side that has the
wedge screw....I still stand my original statement that I think a new wedge pin will snug everything up...
Zonie ( The Moderator) agrees...and a few others...
You never answered on gents question though...
is the cylinder pin ( the pin the cylinder slides over ) loose?

I doubt that it is loose...
I still think you need a new wedge.... :grin:

The cylinder pin is tight. I'll get the new wedge and report back. Thanks again.

What part of "South Jersey"? Reason that I ask is that I'll be going to a BP pistol & rifle shoot this Sunday at the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club's outdoor range in Old Bridge, Middlesex County NJ. If you're up to it, you could come as my guest. Send me a private message with your email to get the full details about this shoot, our Club, etc.

Hope to talk with you soon!

Dave

One possible fix for a misaligned wedge slot is to tap the end of the cylinder pin for a set screw (allen head works well) and adjust the screw after filing the rear of the cylinder pin slot so the the barrel and screw align tightly. A friend did this for me as I have 2 separate barrels for my Colt 1860 repro - the original and a stubby of unknown manufacture (Thanks ChuckPA for the short barrel! :) ), although I must admit, the 2 1/2" gift barrel is on the gun 95% of the time.

No matter which barrel is on the gun, the wedge pin snugs it up tightly, thanks in part to the screw. I've fired a few hundred rounds through it, and never had a problem.

On my Cabela`s 60 the barrel wouldn`t come up against the frame at the bottom where the pins are and had a wide forcing cone gap.
Took the cylinder out completely and found that the cylinder pin was bottoming out in the hole in the barrel, no way it could tighten up.
I took a few thousands off the end of the cylinder pin and all`s fine now.
Don`t know if that was the correct way too fix it but it solved the problem on mine.

In fact i`m going to correct myself right now and say that isn`t probably the right way. I only needed to gain a few thousands too correct mine and it worked ok. The problem is if ya take too much off the end of the pin it makes the wedge fit worse so ya have to be careful.
Can ya turn the cylinder pin in on these easily?

Back