• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Evening!
Both my Colts (1851 Navy/.36 and 1860 Army/.44) have circular impressions machined into the hammers. You stated you welded yours up and machined smooth. I believe those were there for a purpose; perhaps to keep the end of the cap from fragmenting, or to help contain the sparks from spreading outside of the intended zone.
As far as the cylinder free-play goes; while both my Colts have some play, it's nowhere near the .028 you report. I suspect the "magnum loads" hammering into the frame have stretched and opened up things to the point where you actually have a gun no longer safe to shoot. Just my opinion......

I welded the big dent that was beat into the face of the hammer and then ground it back flat then cut the slot back in the hammer that was there from the factory that sits on the little nubs between the nipples on the cylinder..I didn't mess with the frame or the cylinder though just the face of the hammer where it strikes the nipple/cap.Mine was beat real deep..I looked at both my ther pietta revolvers and they had flat hammers with a slot in them but they are new.

If anyone wants a count, the score is 9 for 9.

That's the number of my Colt reproductions ranging from an 1849 Baby Dragoon thru a 3rd Model Dragoon and ending with the Walker that have perfectly flat hammer faces. No circular impressions on any of them.

These guns age range from the 1970's thru the mid 1990's.

Correctly or incorrectly, they all also have the slot machined into the faces that was intended to engage the "safety" pins on the rear of the cylinder.

Thanks zonie,I just checked all 6 of mine and there all flat with a slot in em..My 1851 .36 is starting to get a dent in it but it is from the early 70's and it has seen a lot of use..

OK...just sayin'...
The circular impressions on mine (one Excam, the other "No-Name" kit gun)appear to be factory-made. Maybe that's just particular to these two guns? If you're good with it, so am I.

I must be a factory thing on the 2 you have..I just ordered another 1860 Steel Frame from Cabela's and I will check the hammer on it when it arrives..

Latest posts

Back