• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShooterJim

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchesed a 58 cal. 1861 Springfield from Cabela's. when I removed the barrel to degreese prior to shooting I see what looks like a crack or seam on the bottom of the barrel from the breech plug forward about 2 inches long. Is this just a forgeing mark or could the barrel be cracked? It's a brand new gun.

Shooter,

Nothing to worry about. That is on my Armi-Sport 61 barrel also. It is part of the forging process when they made the bolster breech on the barrel.

If it is Armi-Sport made the bore is probably about .580 or .581 like mine. Mine likes the Lyman 575213. However my particular .575 mold actually throws a .579 bullet. For best accuracy use a bullet size that is about two thousands less than bore size.

I have not tried any of the lighter target minnies in it, so I can't comment on those.

Good luck

The modern reproductions use a cast breech, what you are seeing is the seam where the barrel threads into the cast breech. Supposed to be perfectly safe and strong, I have never heard of one failing.

My Armi Sport 1861 measures .581, I am presently working on a load using a .580 minie. They can be extremely picky about minie size, powder charge and you must use good soft lead.

Thanks, I picked up nice used Lyman 575213A with handles for $45 today at the Allentown Gun Show. Lookc like old stlye to me but not sure, other markings stamped on the blocks are 724 and 05

RCBS Hodgdon mold, so far it is working pretty good. I have also used .577 Rapine old style minie, it wasn't too bad but the bullet was a tad small for my rifle musket.

Latest posts

Back