• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 springfield questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not the least pretentious. My problem is that I am a lawyer, who has represented gun clubs for 30 years, and who has been asked, by great, working class guys, to help them reduce the risks of the club from anyone having accidents that would expose the club to a suit. The clubs could not afford to lose their insurance, nor did they have enough money to cover any large judgment over the amount of the insurance coverage. I have a reputation for making Lincoln Scream, and I have done both plaintiff and defense work for years.

That strange combination of circumstances led me to recommend and argue for some very strigent range rules, and rules for public demonstrations that were even tougher. We go beyond NMLRA rules. We have had several members, over the years, who have participated in re-enactment units, and in the Skirmish units. All have been asked their comments on our rules, and all have been listened to with great interest. We also asked them questions that reflected the club's concerns about certain practices and safety. We have modified some of the rules as a result of the discussions and recommendations. Mostly, the men who are experienced admit that what they do is dangerous and could cost their clubs, and them big money.

For instance, the first time we as a club entered a Parade, where we were asked to fire off blanks, we made sure no one was carrying any round ball in the bags, and that people used small charges, with paper wadding. Most of us made up paper tubes to hold pre-measured powder charges, so we could leave the powder horns empty at our side to simply be a prop. Well, besides creating confetti, we also occasionally saw some of that paper burning. The pieces were small, but we were concerned about burning any little kid, so we modified our plans along the route, and shot up into the air, and into the wind, so that by the time the burning pieces came down, behind us, they burned up and could not hurt anyone lining the streets. Shooting into the light breeze also helped accelerate the burning.

But, the next year, we told everyone to take an extra powder horn, as no wadding was to be used! We increased the amount of powder charges to add the compression to simulate firing the guns with a PRB. It worked. We did create a lot of muzzle flash, and a huge cloud of smoke, but those just pleased the crowd more, and chased off the cicadas from the trees.

My club was talked into a " skirmish" by a civil war unit that showed up on a Sunday afternoon, when we were all breaking our camps down. One of the guys who agreed to participate, gave a teenage son a revolver loaded with blanks. The son had no experience in skirmishing, and did not know any of the rules. The civil war unit did not hold an orientation meeting to explain the skirmish rules to our guys. I was too busy helping to take down three lodges, to participate. I told the President of the club that we should not be involved in this activity, and he should advise the rest of the members. He did. But over his advice, a few of the guys began to exchange charges with the skirmishers even while we were breaking camp! One guy burst into a tent where this teenager was doing something, and scared the kid. He whipped around pointed the revolver right at the guy, and fired. Debris got into the man's eye, and he was taken by ambulance to a hospital to have powder burns treated, and bits of powder removed from the cornea of his eye. Luckily nothing really serious happened, and his injuries were small, and healed completely in a couple of days. We had to turn the claim over to the insurance company, which settled the matter by paying the man's ambulance bill.

The club officers and the men who participated in the skirmish against the President's directive met, and had a long discussion. No blame was attached to anyone. But, everyone had a much better understand of why conservative guys like me give out the kind of safety advice we do! We decided right then and there to amend our safety rules to prohibit skirmishing. It would be grounds to kick people out of the club. It was not that skirmishing can't be done safety- I need not tell you what the kid did wrong- but my Black Powder club is trying to simply promote the sport, provide a nice camp and range for its members and shooters, and occasionally do public demonstrations of trick shooting, and knife and hawk throwing to promote our activities. We are not members of a skirmisher's association, and don't attend those events on a regular basis. It would be rediculous to expect our members to know all the safety rules they use when firing at each other with blanks. All of our firing is done with live ammo.

So, if I offend, its because I don't have the luxury of taking chances, or letting clients take chances. They can't afford to do so, if they are honest about the situation, but most people don't think about how they could lose everything they own and a large part of their future income if they hurt someone through carelessness, even on a shooting range.

I have participated in stake shoots, and other volley fire events, under the clock, and I have seen first hand some of the dumb things people do. I don't participate in those events anymore. I do advise shooters in two clubs on safety issues, and how lawsuits happen when people decide to take chances, or violate basic safety rules. The comment I find personally most interesting from many shooters is something along the lines of: " I didn't know violating a safety rule could get you sued!"

I hear the same thing from police officers who didn't realize the every one of those department regulations becomes the basis, as a standard of due care, for a negligence law suit if violating that regulation or rule results in someone being injured. I caution police chiefs, who usually are not lawyers, from writing restrictive " use of force " regulations that are more restrictive than state law provides, because they open their department up to lawsuits based on the higher duty of care reflected by the tougher standards. The Chief always think that by writing tougher rules, they are going to AVOID lawsuits, not encourage them.

This seems to me to be much the same argument, only about gun safety. Being involved in ONE " Cook-off ", is God's way of slapping you up the side of your head, and screaming, " WAKE UP!"

Being involved in TWO Cook-offs, because you didn't change your safety practices after the first one, is the " Galloping Dumbs. " OH, and you can be sure that any plaintiff's lawyer will find out about the prior cook-offs, and make a point of arguing to a jury that the defendant cannot claim ignorance of the risk he was taking when he injuried the plaintiff, because the Defendant had DONE IT BEFORE! That fact tends to make juries angry where they might otherwise be willing to think, Well, it was just an accident ! Their sympathy for the defendant flies out of the courtroom, and instead they start sharpening their pencils and practice making " Os " to add to the jury award!

BTW, in more than 25 years since the " skirmish " incident, my club has never been sued, and we have never had more than a cut finger as the result of someone's negligence.

Zonie said:
If you are shooting a true Minie bullet, with the thin skirt of lead at the rear, the use of heavy powder charges can ruin the accuracy.
If the powder charge is too large, it will blow the skirt of the bullet out and redirect the bullet on a different trajectory.

IMO, this is the main reason for keeping the powder charge down in the 60-80 grain range.
zonie :)

I've never blown a skirt on a minie. Not saying it can't be done, just never done it or seen it and I've used charges past 100 grs. out of my 53 Enfield. Mostly I use 90 grs. that's what this one was fired with. Sorry bout the poor quality of the pics but you can tell the skirt is still intact.

minies002.jpg

minies001.jpg

I think what Zonie means is that the skirt can deform. There's a photo of one in Lyman's Black Powder Handbook on pg. 49.

paulvallandigham said:
I am not the least pretentious. My problem is that I am a lawyer, who has represented gun clubs for 30 years, and who has been asked, by great, working class guys, to help them reduce the risks of the club from anyone having accidents that would expose the club to a suit. The clubs could not afford to lose their insurance, nor did they have enough money to cover any large judgment over the amount of the insurance coverage. I have a reputation for making Lincoln Scream, and I have done both plaintiff and defense work for years.

That strange combination of circumstances led me to recommend and argue for some very strigent range rules, and rules for public demonstrations that were even tougher. We go beyond NMLRA rules. We have had several members, over the years, who have participated in re-enactment units, and in the Skirmish units. All have been asked their comments on our rules, and all have been listened to with great interest. We also asked them questions that reflected the club's concerns about certain practices and safety. We have modified some of the rules as a result of the discussions and recommendations. Mostly, the men who are experienced admit that what they do is dangerous and could cost their clubs, and them big money.

For instance, the first time we as a club entered a Parade, where we were asked to fire off blanks, we made sure no one was carrying any round ball in the bags, and that people used small charges, with paper wadding. Most of us made up paper tubes to hold pre-measured powder charges, so we could leave the powder horns empty at our side to simply be a prop. Well, besides creating confetti, we also occasionally saw some of that paper burning. The pieces were small, but we were concerned about burning any little kid, so we modified our plans along the route, and shot up into the air, and into the wind, so that by the time the burning pieces came down, behind us, they burned up and could not hurt anyone lining the streets. Shooting into the light breeze also helped accelerate the burning.

But, the next year, we told everyone to take an extra powder horn, as no wadding was to be used! We increased the amount of powder charges to add the compression to simulate firing the guns with a PRB. It worked. We did create a lot of muzzle flash, and a huge cloud of smoke, but those just pleased the crowd more, and chased off the cicadas from the trees.

My club was talked into a " skirmish" by a civil war unit that showed up on a Sunday afternoon, when we were all breaking our camps down. One of the guys who agreed to participate, gave a teenage son a revolver loaded with blanks. The son had no experience in skirmishing, and did not know any of the rules. The civil war unit did not hold an orientation meeting to explain the skirmish rules to our guys. I was too busy helping to take down three lodges, to participate. I told the President of the club that we should not be involved in this activity, and he should advise the rest of the members. He did. But over his advice, a few of the guys began to exchange charges with the skirmishers even while we were breaking camp! One guy burst into a tent where this teenager was doing something, and scared the kid. He whipped around pointed the revolver right at the guy, and fired. Debris got into the man's eye, and he was taken by ambulance to a hospital to have powder burns treated, and bits of powder removed from the cornea of his eye. Luckily nothing really serious happened, and his injuries were small, and healed completely in a couple of days. We had to turn the claim over to the insurance company, which settled the matter by paying the man's ambulance bill.

The club officers and the men who participated in the skirmish against the President's directive met, and had a long discussion. No blame was attached to anyone. But, everyone had a much better understand of why conservative guys like me give out the kind of safety advice we do! We decided right then and there to amend our safety rules to prohibit skirmishing. It would be grounds to kick people out of the club. It was not that skirmishing can't be done safety- I need not tell you what the kid did wrong- but my Black Powder club is trying to simply promote the sport, provide a nice camp and range for its members and shooters, and occasionally do public demonstrations of trick shooting, and knife and hawk throwing to promote our activities. We are not members of a skirmisher's association, and don't attend those events on a regular basis. It would be rediculous to expect our members to know all the safety rules they use when firing at each other with blanks. All of our firing is done with live ammo.

So, if I offend, its because I don't have the luxury of taking chances, or letting clients take chances. They can't afford to do so, if they are honest about the situation, but most people don't think about how they could lose everything they own and a large part of their future income if they hurt someone through carelessness, even on a shooting range.

I have participated in stake shoots, and other volley fire events, under the clock, and I have seen first hand some of the dumb things people do. I don't participate in those events anymore. I do advise shooters in two clubs on safety issues, and how lawsuits happen when people decide to take chances, or violate basic safety rules. The comment I find personally most interesting from many shooters is something along the lines of: " I didn't know violating a safety rule could get you sued!"

I hear the same thing from police officers who didn't realize the every one of those department regulations becomes the basis, as a standard of due care, for a negligence law suit if violating that regulation or rule results in someone being injured. I caution police chiefs, who usually are not lawyers, from writing restrictive " use of force " regulations that are more restrictive than state law provides, because they open their department up to lawsuits based on the higher duty of care reflected by the tougher standards. The Chief always think that by writing tougher rules, they are going to AVOID lawsuits, not encourage them.

This seems to me to be much the same argument, only about gun safety. Being involved in ONE " Cook-off ", is God's way of slapping you up the side of your head, and screaming, " WAKE UP!"

Being involved in TWO Cook-offs, because you didn't change your safety practices after the first one, is the " Galloping Dumbs. " OH, and you can be sure that any plaintiff's lawyer will find out about the prior cook-offs, and make a point of arguing to a jury that the defendant cannot claim ignorance of the risk he was taking when he injuried the plaintiff, because the Defendant had DONE IT BEFORE! That fact tends to make juries angry where they might otherwise be willing to think, Well, it was just an accident ! Their sympathy for the defendant flies out of the courtroom, and instead they start sharpening their pencils and practice making " Os " to add to the jury award!

BTW, in more than 25 years since the " skirmish " incident, my club has never been sued, and we have never had more than a cut finger as the result of someone's negligence.

Paul, you make some excellent points and you know the law, there's no doubt about that, but you do have an obvious misunderstanding of the two hobbies that you speak of. As pappa bear says above, the N-SSA (The NOrth-South Scirmish Association) is a national organization and has strict rules for participation in their shoots and any violation of the rules causes a suspension of shooting and the violator is stopped from further participation. All clubs participating under the umbrella of that organization are completely schooled in their rules so all have an understanding of what is proper and where the limits of safety are. Do accidents happen? Yes, but they are rare and rarely are there any serious consequences. If this were not the case the organization would not be around after 50 years of activity.

Reenactors are another story. These you disparagingly call "scirmishers" and your experience with them was, to put it mildly, unfortunate. After participating in the hobby for nearly 20 years, I have to say that I have never seen anything like what you describe, but I do not doubt that it has happened. The yahoos you got invoved with were not trained reenactors but simply morons that did not have a clue about fire discipline and probably, through immaturity or stupidity (maybe both!), did not know how to use a firearm in any basic safe way - they should not have been allowed around firearms at all. Now, does that mean the even trained reenactors are firearms savy? No it does not. A fair percentage of CW reenactors have rarely if ever fired a gun with ball ammunition and that is unfortunate, but most, if not all in true living history organizations do take orders very well and accidents, again, rarely happen. It is unfortunate that your group did not have an experienced reenactor guiding your organization through the parade gyrations that you did because you and your group committed all sorts of safety violations that would make even those unfamiliar with the real use of firearms "head for the hills" or roll on the sidewalks with laughter.

Oh, and by the way, I am unaware of any lawsuits or threats there of directed at either the N-SSA or any of the various reenactments seen by thousands around the country every year. Dosn't mean there will never be any but both are relatively safe hobbies with excellent safety records. Fewer people hurt than the average kids' soccer leagues... But it does take experience and TRAINING!

Gentlemen: The discussion in this post deals with the 1861 Springfield and "...How do they shoot out of the box?..."

I believe that although it is a worthwhile topic (for the General Muzzleloading Forum area), further discussion of safety and how different organizations handle it is not germane.

That said, I think the 1861 Springfield will shoot ok. I have not seen the sighting system on this model of rifled musket however, I will say that in my opinion the military sights on many replicas leaves a little to be desired for precision shooting.
I say this because many of them have soldered the rear sight in place rather than dovetailing it onto the barrel.
This makes any lateral adjustment the rifle needs (if it indeed does) almost impossible.
My experiance with these replica rifles is that some of them are quite finicky about the minie balls that are shot out of them.
In case folks don't know, there is a large assortment of these Minie balls available. Some with thick skirts, some with thin skirts, some long and heavy and some shorter or having a deeper internal cavity in the base making them lighter.

If one gets a Springfield, or any other Rifled Musket they should be prepaired to do a lot of experimenting to find the best bullet for whatever powder load they think they will want to use.

zonie :)

I have an ArmiSport Enfield and the sights are attached with screws. Mine shot wide left out of the box with every load you can imagine. Filed the sight notch out and while it doesn't look so hot it shoots great now.

Zonie is right, the biggest thing is to find the right size, weight and style of minie, and best powder charge to suit your particular rifle. I think most of the people who say these rifles don't shoot minies well, just never found the right load. What works well in one rifle won't necesarily work in another of the same type.

Rebel, can you go into a little detail on how you changed your rear sight? Did you solder the sight closed and file a new spot or just file more on one side of the sight? Thanks fo any info.

I am just getting into muzzle loading so I can not help you on that end, I have been reloading smokeless powder( started loading is 1967) for many Years.

Zonie is the first person I have heard talk about smokeless powder as to black powder. What he says about smokeless is true and right.

Also bullet placment is the key. If you do not hit the kill zone, you do not get the game.

Hiting your target is more important than speed of the bullet. Make a load that hits the same spot every time.

Single most important factor in casting minies for these shallow-groove muskets is PURE LEAD! Any hardness, including and especially wheel weights, will result in minies that won't shoot to where the rifle is pointed. Pure lead will deliver accuracy in most minie styles. Scrap lead is a manure shoot, unless you have a good metal-hardness tester. If you want the best shot at accuracy, it's worth paying the premium for smelter-cast, pure ingots. Add a good lube (I like MCM) and 45-55 grains of 2 or 3f (to the gun's taste) and you're in bid-ness.

skeet said:
Rebel, can you go into a little detail on how you changed your rear sight? Did you solder the sight closed and file a new spot or just file more on one side of the sight? Thanks fo any info.

I just widened the notch out, a good bit actually as it was shooting several inches left at 50 yds. Guess I really should have returned it but figured some load tinkering would straighten it out but it didn't. Anyway, like I said it don't look so hot now(the sight)but it works and it only has to make me happy. Might try to find something that looks close to period but windage adjustable someday.

They can & will shoot well. The key is extensive load development.
Try every brand/style/weight of minnie you can find. I have close to 20 different mold styles that I acquired in my search for the ultimate accuracy. I just wish some vendor would of offered sample bullets for each of there molds & saved me a great deal of expense :redface:

Make sure to keep your powder charges relatively light to keep the skirt from blowing.
Years ago I saw some high speed pictures I believe put out by Lyman of minnies in flight. What a blown shirt looks like is the bottom of a ball gown. The skirt is wider than the ogive. This kills accuracy... Its not so good on your shoulder either :winking:

sagebrush2401 said:
I am just getting into muzzle loading so I can not help you on that end, I have been reloading smokeless powder (started loading in 1967) for many Years.

Zonie is the first person I have heard talk about smokeless powder as to black powder. What he says about smokeless is true and right.

Sagebrush, I'm confused. I can't find where Zonie was talking about smokeless vs black powder. Maybe it's a matter of terminology. To me, "smokeless" means a modern nitrocellulose propellant and black powder is, well, black powder. When you say "smokeless", do you mean modern black powder substitutes? From what I've seen and heard, they still make a lot of smoke, but the main thing is, they're not nitro propellants. Anyway, I've always heard that you should never, ever put smokeless propellant in a firearm made for black powder. I've seen pics of what can happen and they're not pretty.

Back to the topic: I have an Armi Sport '61 Springfield that I just started shooting live, and so far I've stuck with the way it was done during the War of the Rebellion: Tear the cartridge open, dump the powder down the bore, push the Minié ball into the muzzle, push it down with the ramrod, replace the ramrod under the barrel :grin: , pull the hammer back to half cock, place a cap on the cone, pull the hammer back to full cock, aim and fire. There's no lube anywhere and I've fired up to ten rounds with no serious fouling problems so far. Far as I can tell, the deep grooves in the Miniés scrape a lot of fouling out of the bore, which is what they're supposed to do. Maybe I'm just lucky to have the right kind of powder (Elephant 3F) and the right size Miniés? Now if I can just manage to keep all the shots on the target backing, maybe some day I'll actually hit something like a ring near the bullseye... :shake:

P.S.: CW reenactor since 1995; seen a lot of stupid things but not by people in my unit, 3rd US Regular Infantry 1860-1865; we're trained to load and fire by the NPS rules and we do not do stupid yahoo stuff - we follow orders, and Order No. 1 is Safety First.

If I'm not mistaken, the standard minie lube was 50% tallow and 50% beeswax, and this is what the rings on the bullet were for.

In the Crimean War of 1956, British troops armed with the .577 Enfield were slaughtering Russian gunners at ranges between 800 and 1000 yards...

So they well put a reasonable dent in your elk at 100..

tac

Frenchie:

Please! for the sake of your rifle, use lube! They did during the war, good shooters still do.

Here is an explanation from Joseph Bilby, who has written extensively on CW guns and is one of those History channel CW talking heads:

"Q. What were original Minie balls lubricated with? How was the lubricant applied? What's the best lubricant for use today?
"A. Minie balls must be lubricated to cut bore fouling from black powder residue. The grooves on the side of Springfield style balls are intended to hold lubricant. Without lubrication, bullets will quickly become hard to ram home and, before long, one will become stuck fast halfway down the barrel. Civil War Minie balls were lubricated by dipping them, fifty at a time in a tin frame, into a mixture of one part tallow and eight parts beeswax.

"There is no "best" modern lubricant. Dentist Dick Stein gets good results using tallow blended with leftover dental wax from his practice. Skirmishers of my acquaintance use a variety of lubes, many of them pet concoctions which include various waxes as well as tallow and more modern lubricants. A mixture of one part beeswax to two parts Crisco® shortening is popular. I use a combination of the beeswax/alox lube sold by The Regimental Quartermaster, SPG® a lubricant designed for use in black powder cartridge rifles, and Crisco shortening. My own mixture is not strictly proportioned. In hot weather I use less Crisco and more beeswax/alox, which stiffens the lube. In cold weather I go with a little more Crisco to soften it. If you are not going to carry your ammunition in a cartridge box and shoot your musket only at a rifle range, straight Crisco is hard to beat as a lubricant. I have seen muskets fired a hundred times without cleaning when minie balls were lubed with pure Crisco. The greatest drawback to Crisco is that it melts readily in hot weather.

"A recent development has been the proliferation of so called "natural" patch and bullet lubes for muzzle loaders, including Thompson/Center's "Natural Lube 1000," available at most gun stores, and "Gene's Black Powder Seasoning Gun Lube." (Gene High, 1614 Capetown Dept CWN, Grand Prairie, Texas 75050; $5 a can plus $2 shipping.) The manufacturers of these lubricants promise vast numbers of shots between cleanings as well as easy gun clean up afterwards. Users of "natural" lubes are advised to use water for cleaning their guns rather than petroleum products. Petroleum based cleaners and lubricants will remove the seasoning (just like that on your favorite old skillet) natural lube imparts to a gun barrel. After cleaning, the lube is used as a rust preventative.

"I have been using the first of these new generation lubricants, Ox Yoke's Wonder Lube®, available from all muzzle loading suppliers, to lubricate the patches for my round ball rifles for years. I've fired my halfstock .45 caliber rifle with "Wonder Lube," patches all afternoon long without cleaning. I have not tried Thompson/Center's or Gene's products, but have no doubt that they, like Wonder Lube, work just as promised. Wonder Lube's only drawback is that, while not as prone to melting as Crisco, it is messy on minie balls in a cartridge box. A bit of beeswax might stiffen all these lubes up a bit while remaining "natural." It is something worth looking into."

Sorry for the long quote, but lubing is not an OPTION, it is a NECESSITY!

tac, do you know what load they were using? I would like to try an historically correct load in my Parker-Hale three band. Right now I am using a .575 Springfield type Minie over 2 and 1/2 drams of ffg with beeswax and tallow as a lube. Accuracy is excellent, but I'm curious about this rifle's abilities with the proper load. Thanks.

Dear Mr Frizzen - the service load was a mere 65gr and of course the bullet only weighed 535gr or very close. However, those on the receiving end were as dead as those who has been hit on the nose by a 24-pounder.

David Minshall is the man to answer your question, in truth, as HE is THE expert on these matters.

Remember that here in UK we only shoot non tang-sighted weapons up to the limit of the backsight, which is, as far as I can recall, 900yards. The military match for the .577 is around 500-600 yards, though, I seem to recall - the opening range for the Whitworth that I and many other shoot. I hasten to add that I have no claim to fame like Mr Minshall, a real champion shot. I am a very casual shooter...

Your P-H rifle is the very best there ever was, of any kind, ever made. Look after it - the so-called successors are anything but - IMO.

Best wishes for 2007

tac

Back