• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1960s HC/PC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I graduated high school in 1970 I was given a choice of a Zouave or a Tingle for a graduation present.
I chose the Zouave, but I always kinda wished I had a Tingle as well. Maybe fifteen or so years ago I finally found a good one and bought it. It required an odd sized ball and the entire time I had it I never shot it. When a devastating burglary made me decide to get rid of just about all shooting-related possessions, I sold the Tingle. Many is the time I wished I hadn’t.
Now I have it back.
Because I have spent so much getting back into the game, the Tingle is going to have to go on the back burner until at least next spring.
But when it does move front and center”¦
My preference for muzzleloaders is to have a bag and horn for each gun. I have decided that the setup for the Tingle will be mid-sixties (1960s that is) retro. The shooting pouch will be laced instead of sewn. It might even have some way-too-wide fringe. The patch knife will be either a Green River patch knife or a straight razor blade with a piece of wood, maybe a dowel rod, as a handle. (I actually still have one of the older Green River patch knives.) The powder measure I remember most from that period was similar to the one Ted Cash makes now with the attached funnel so the measure will be easy.
Everything I remember about what constituted standard equipment at the time tells me that the horn should be the finest Mexico has to offer. I’m going to have some trouble there. I’ve gotten way too accustomed to nice, properly styled horns, and all the Mexican offerings are like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Hopefully I can find a slightly better Cureton horn. They aren’t really “right” either, but there is a little more style to them.
Anyway, any help on what I’m forgetting will be appreciated.
In one of Mark Baker’s books he said his goal was to have everything to where if he was transported back to Fort Pitt he wouldn’t be noticed.
I want to be able to say that if I was transported back to a shooting match in 1967 I wouldn’t be noticed.
For the record, tee-shirts and jeans or kakis ruled the day. ’Taint no need for bellbottoms and Nehru shirts.

Bib overalls

Red Man chewing tobacco

A hand tooled heavy leather ladies purse from Mexico

A floppy leather "hippy hat" also from mexico

I had a straight razer patch knife with an antler tip handle, I thought it was really groovy at the time.

Drago said:
Did'nt everyone?

:haha: Brought back memorys...a cousin survived Tet and when he came home he gave me a pair of bell bottoms which I just thought was the coolest thing at the time. :haha:

laffindog said:
Bib overalls

Red Man chewing tobacco

A hand tooled heavy leather ladies purse from Mexico

A floppy leather "hippy hat" also from mexico

I had a straight razer patch knife with an antler tip handle, I thought it was really groovy at the time.

I really want to go with the short 3/8 wide fringe on a (preferably)suede bag but I'd forgotten about the leather hippy hat. Good catch.
You also get a ton of bonus points for using the word groovy.

cynthialee said:
You probably should show up to the range in a VW micro bus with hand painted flowers and peace signs all over it.

I don't know how you are going to get beer with pop tops.

You gotta remember that we are not talking about sixties culture in general, but the average sixties shooting match. A VW bug would have been okay (a guy named Phil "Fuzzy" Andrews actually showed up at one shoot hauling tipi poles on a "bug")but the hippie van would have been a bad move.
The spirit of this thread is really about how UN pc/hc the bucksinning game was when it first started. Back then we didn't know any better.
And since you brought it up. Back then you needed a church key to open a beer.

In 67 i'm not sure that beer had pop tops... :hmm: Maybe in the big cities. I do remember somewhere along that time frame they swithed from having to have a "church key" (opener) to pop tops.

Sorry Randy you beat me to it :redface: To slow with my hunt & peck method on the keyboard

pop tops invented in 1959

I don't know how I know that, but I just checked and it is right.

I just figured if they were invented in '59 they musta been in use by the mid '60's.

I am often wrong and freely admit it.
:redface:

Don't forget the light gray leather gloves with fringe sewn on the cuffs, western shirt and wellington style Dingos. And Maverick dark blue denims that had contrasting orange stitching and with the too long pant legs turned upward.

Thanks Cynthia thats good info, I wasn't sure when they were invented. I was a young whipper snapper in 67 but just remembered the old beer cans having no pop tops around where i'm from and most soft drinks back then was in returnable bottles at 2cents each.Somewhere around that time is when non returnable / throw away bottles came along down here in the South at least. :thumbsup: Now i'm starting to feel old again :doh:

zimmerstutzen said:
And a bottle of Wildroot hair cream to use on the head and as patch lube.

I thought Brill Cream would have been a better patch lube... "A little dab will do ya" :rotf:

Randy Johnson said:
I want to be able to say that if I was transported back to a shooting match in 1967 I wouldn’t be noticed.

If I were doing that I would have to find a rice paddy somewhere.........where I often prayed I wouldn't be noticed.

cynthialee said:
pop tops invented in 1959

I don't know how I know that, but I just checked and it is right.

I just figured if they were invented in '59 they musta been in use by the mid '60's.

I am often wrong and freely admit it.
:redface:

All I can tell 'ya, is that in the seventies I was employed by the Yankee government and living at a place called Barksdale AFB. During that period of my life I drank beer. A lot of beer. There may have been pop tops in existence, but there were enough brands that required a church key for me to carry one on my keyring. Pretty much the same story with bottled cokes and beer. You could open 'em without an opener - but it was a lot easier with one.

Pop tops were on most beers by 64, twist-off top bottles came on the scene about 65 (Naraganset). Remember what your thumb looked like the morning after drinking beer with pop tops? Remember pop top chains? I liked bottles and got pretty handy driving down the road in my hopped up primer gray 55 Chev, pushing the driver's door open and opening my brew on the striker (door latch). Seat belts worked to open a bottle too but they came later.

Back