• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paladin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks after putting together my rifle, a Traditions Kentucky, I shot in my first match. Didn't see the final scores but I'm sure I came in last. It was a success because I learned a lot. Learned how easy it is to forget the powder. :redface: .50 cal., .490 ball, .010 patch, and I finally was able to find the patches. They looked like ashes with a hole in the center. A gun maker in the club told me my comb was too high for the low sights and that was the reason I got whacked in the cheekbone every time I pulled the trigger. I'm sure I was flinching. Next match will be next month and I can't wait, and I will be ready.

At least you had enough powder with you....don't ask how my first match was :redface: :grin:

I think I was just as nervous but I think that you should always check you scores so that you will always have a baseline and any improvements will get noticed. I also found out that if you forgot something at home or just don't have it and really need it, there are always members of the club will to lend or flat out give you what you need.

Burned out patches is not good. Try putting an over powder wad between the patched ball and your powder. Also make sure your patches do not have any synthetic in them. To make a simple test just fold over some cleaning patches to use as an over powder wad.For best results the fired patches should look good enough to reuse. :idunno: :idunno:

I suggest a thicker patch before going the extra over powder wad route. .10 with a .490 ball in a Traditions barrel is too thin. .15-.20 is what you want.Traditions have fairly deep rifling and need a thicker patch to fill it up.

I did try 3 shots with .020 muslin patches and they did look reusable. The first order of business will be to cut down the stock, when I woke up this morning the right side of my face was really swollen. :(

How much powder are you using? I tried 90 grains of ffg (Hornady's recommended load) behind a 350 grain conical in a .50 cal T/C Renegade and got turned around! Learned later that 60-70 grains was as effective in mv with a lot less fire and pain. As far as the cheek part, I sold the Renegade because the comb was too high for me. Find a rifle that fits you is part of the process.

Back