• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st single shot percussion pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Wrestling with the first-timer's choice. Seeking advice from those who have owned Traditions, Lyman, and/or Pedersoli percussion pistols. Seeking judgement/opinions on authenticity, value and quality (including aesthetics) out-of-box.

Thanks for your time.

I have owned both the Traditions "Trapper" and "Kentucky" in .50 caliber. I have been pleased with both models. The Trapper was probably a kit and the Kentucky was factory assembled. Aesthetically I prefer the Kentucky for a more traditional "trade pistol" look.

All are functional,

Without getting into all the detail it's about the $$$.
I'd rank'm,
Pedersoli
Lyman
Traditions

I am very happy with my Pedersoli .50 caliber flintlock pistol. But the friend I bought it from had the lock tinkered with by a smith to smooth out the quirks before it got to me. I do not know how the pistol would function without the lock tuning it received.

I have shot Lyman and Traditions pistols but not owned them.
The Traditions is your economy pistol and there is nothing wrong with it. Just it isn't anything to write home about.
The one Lyman Plains pistol I shot was nice. Felt like I was holding 'the real deal'. Which is rather silly as any one of these pistols is plenty deadly in the ranges they are designed for. Just something about the Plains Pistol that is really nice. It was a plains pistol that changed my opinion on the Plains/Kentucky style pistols; enough so that when I spotted a CVA Hawken Pistol (totally a poor girls Plains Pistol) in the local Pawn Shop I had to grab it.

I have a Trapper and have no doubt that if a properly fitted round ball was rendered in this smoke pole that it would no doubt do what was intended with proper use of this hand cannon.

It all depends on what your intended use is. In alot of states hunting during flintlock season is just that flintlocks only. Same for muzzle loading season, revolvers not allowed. I have the Lyman Plains Pistol in 54 cal and love it. :thumbsup:

Have any of your heard of Traditions offering a Kentucky pistol in .45? I can't find anything online about the pistol in this particular caliber, only in .50.

Thanks to all for sharing opinions. One further question: how are the three brands in regards to non-period warnings and such carved into the barrels?

Here's one of the Traditions Kentucky .50Cal pistols that I 'defarbed' and added a few extras.

For reference I've included a photo of how it came out of the box. One of the pictures also has a little derringer that I built as well.

Customizing them is a lot of fun and you can do as much or little as you want.

--John R.

I have a Traditions .50 Kentucky pistol built from Kit. I customized the stock some, has beautiful grain patterns and is 10x accurate. Other than the general stock shape they are not terribly authentic looking. The Pedersoli has a more authentic look.

FYI, I notice (just today, as a matter of fact) that Cabela's has added the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in .45. both flint and percussion. The Cabela branded guns differ a little in finish type, but offer a chance to pick up a Pedersoli for a very attractive price. Frequent sales on their stuff also if you keep your eyes peeled.

OOOH I really like that little one when it is old enuff to ween can I have it.

I recently purchased a Traditions William Parker 50 cal. pistol. It is my first single shot.

I was absolutely floored when I took it out of the box as to how beautiful it was. I think an excellent value. I originally wanted a Pedersoli Le Page, but did not want to spend $900+. For less than 1/2 the price I am very satisfied.

And it shoots really well too. When I took it to the range everyone at my club was very impressed.

Latest posts

Back