• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st time out with a new Howdah Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the links with the cool info.
Regarding the bore size:

20 gauge
Cabelas regularly runs the 20 gauge on sale for $599
Largest bore of choices
Ball must be special ordered or cast yourself
Huge variety of shot choices
Over powder/over shot cards available

.58 caliber
Only ever seen online, usually on back order
Between $830-$900
Ball is usually available locally

I think I have also seen .50 cal and a combo .50 cal/20 gauge advertised, but not in the flesh.

Hard to pass on the 20ga at six bills, but I might have gone for the .58 if the price was the same just for ease of ammo and accessories supply.

Thoughts from the gallery?

Afraid I'd go with the double 20, just because. Only advantage I see for a double rifled bore is accuracy, but considering the size and lay out, hard to imagine the actual advantage. Don't have to worry, with smaller hands, those big babies are hard to handle for me.

I would definitely recommend trying the Shotgun option, I've used 71/2 shot, a mix of 4 and 6 shot, BB's and 00 buck in my .69 cal 1816 and it's a lot of fun. I make my own Over powder / Over shot wads cut out from cardboard and they work great.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding shot. I have some double ought and some #4. I figured I would screw around with some combinations, perhaps even toss in a .570 ball.

I won't be hunting, just messing around for laughs. But it will be interesting to see how different loads pattern.

Finally got off my duff and ordered some supplies. I ordered some .020 patches to try with the .57 ball. Still a little shy of .615, but might be good enough to use up the the .57 I bought on impulse. Also ordered .010 patches and .595 ball, as this would seem to be the magic math to reach the diameter.

Will post when I get a chance to mess about, but it might be some time.

Any owners of this double barreled monstrosity have any max load advice? The manual states 28gr for shot, 30gr for ball. These seem awfully wimpy, but the barrels are not overly thick either...

Remember these guns were designed as defensive guns to be used at ten yards or less.
A .60 cal. ball loaded with 40 grains of 3f is going to hurt the aggressor, followed by another .60 cal. ball, is going to make a very bad day for any villain :shocked2: , four legged or two.
Fred

Back