• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 Band Whitworth Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to build a southern sharpshooter's 2 band .451 Whitworth, something that is not currently made by any of the Italian manufacturers.

What are all of the specifications necessary to build this?
  • .451 hexagonal barrel (I will have to cut down a modern reproduction barrel, if I can find one; I'll likely contact Bobby Hoyt to see if he'd be interested in doing that)
  • I will likely use a Dunlap 2-Band walnut Enfield stock (if it's the correct dimensions and the barrel channel isn't wrong)
  • Is there another source for iron furniture besides "the Rifle Shoppe"? (They're always out of stock on the iron parts from their Pattern 1856 Short Rifle)
  • Was the iron furniture blued or color case hardened?
  • I'll likely have to get a Pedersoli Whitworth Lock, unless it's more cost effective to get a Rifle Shoppe lock, engrave it with Whitworth markings and color case harden it
  • Did all southern import Whitworths have checkered stocks? If so, what size checkering did they have? (I'm not interested in the heat pressed checkering on the Italian reproductions)
  • Did it use a regular 2 band Enfield ramrod?
  • Could I swap out the barrel with my parker-hale 33" barrel if I wanted to shoot .577? (Similar to how a Kerr rifle can swap out barrels between .451 and .577)
I would greatly appreciate any expert opinions on the feasibility of such a project. I know it'll take a long time to acquire all of the necessary parts.

Back