• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 ga American Fowler....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Somewhat in the tradition of a JP Beck.

Built by JP Gunstocks. They started making these fowlers like mine in the mid 1990's. Mine is their first "canoe gun" with a 30 inch barrel which they made specifically in response to a good friends request for a shorter fowler for partridge hunting in the Maine puckerbrush. I have seen other manufactures' canoe guns with even shorter barrels but not with this kind of stock. Most of them use a Northwest Trade Gun type of stock which is lighter,has less drop at the butt, and (I am told) is easier to manufacture. The gun has an L & R Queen Anne round faced english lock and presentation grade curly maple.

The gun has been traded amongst the local woodsmen, hereabouts, and one of the former owners decided to emblellish it to his tastes... :wink: Even still, it is a hoot to shoot and one of my favorite guns...

Fowler007.jpg

Fowler002.jpg

Fowler004.jpg

Giz

Giz,
I really like your gun.
It has great simple lines.
I have the makings for something similar, but could not find the picture, I was looking for.
Thanks to your picture, I have found it.
The Queen Anne lock, gives it a different look completely.
Nice gun!
Old Ford

Great looking little smoothbore, but you must be way too careful hunting your Maine puckerbrush. How do you keep it so new looking? All of mine tend to look like they've been through the Revolution! Twice!

What gauge and what load do you use? By the way, very pleasant photo setting. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Missed the heading for some reason. I'm really old, and the wife says I miss alot these days. :confused:

Yeah, I heard that kinda stuff happens when you get to be my age. :grin:

Seriously though, nice gun,Giz.

Marc

Gizamo,
You just gotta quit laying that pretty stock and brass on them landscape stones! :shocked2: Did you put any scratches on it taking the pics?
Seriously, though, It is pretty. I don't generally like brass tacks, but they look real good on it.
But I just hate to see you lay it on them stones! :v
volatpluvia

What a beautiful smoothy, is it available as a kit from anyone? You sure bring a new meaning to "Smoothy" with this one. Paul P.

48mauser said:
What a beautiful smoothy, is it available as a kit from anyone? You sure bring a new meaning to "Smoothy" with this one. Paul P.

Not available from the original makers ~ which was JP Gunstocks...This one was made to order from the maker JP Searles...It is a favorite gun and usually gets attention when I bring it out. It has been hunted in the Maine woods, alot.... :wink:

Giz

You could make a similar piece using Track's English fowler parts set. You would need to shorten the barrel and fore-stock, but that's doable.

Many people don't realize what superb guns these fowlers are. Their lightness and fine balance makes them feel like they're almost alive.

Very nice looking fowler Gizamo. Don't forget to post this in the "smoothbore" forum. Some smoothbore aficionados aren't much interested in flintlock rifles and may not see it here.

Beautiful wood and clean lines. Let me know if you ever get tired of it! :rotf: :rotf:

twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Back