• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 or 24 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and happy new year to all.I am going to order a NW gun kit from North Star West but I don't know if I should get a 20 or 24 gage all opinions appreciated.rusty

:winking:My vote is if you want more period correct, 24 ga.
better allaround, 20 ga. however, I have two 20 ga. :: and no 24 ga. :(
you can't lose,either way, you will love it.

..."don't know if I should get a 20 or 24 guage...."

As mentioned, the 24 is probably more Kosher time-wise but the real answer will be determined by whether you plan to shoot ball or shot. The 24, which is a .58 caliber, will be fine for hunting with ball at smoothbore range but the 20 will give a better shot pattern since the larger bore will have less shot column length for equal amounts of shot. :peace:

The 24 gauge is more correct. You'll find everything you need for its care and breeding at Track of the Wolf!

Good luck! I own both 24 and 20 both get the job done!

Had a 24 gauge...note the word "had". I found that 20 is much more versatile and does an excellent job for everything I hunt. Also, my Northstar 20 gauge holds one wicked pattern and busts birds nicely along with squirrels and bunnies.

:results:

Another thing to think about is how sensitive to recoil you might be. I am a bit recoil shy and shoot a 28 ga. To me comfort is a priority. :D This gun patterns shot about as well as I can expect a cylinder bore barrel to. Just a thought...BJH

hey do the make muzzle loading 12ga i would love to have a muzzle loading shot gun and if they do could i have some prices on a few guns

hey do the make muzzle loading 12ga i would love to have a muzzle loading shot gun and if they do could i have some prices on a few guns

The Brown Bess is roughly an 12 gauge, or 11 guage, depending on how you look at it...

Navy Arms, Dixie, Pedersoli all have .12 ga. shotguns, as well as .20, and 10 ga. You can get the Pedersoil's through Cabela's. They aren't cheap though. You can sometimes find a good used on on one of the auctions, or even from a board memeber occasionally. They are a lot of fun. There were recently some pics here showing double barrel guns.

T/C has/had (?) the 12-gauge New Englander, it's a strong black powder shot gun...

Actually i think that Middlesex Village Traders has them for even less than Military Heritage, and they are here in the U.S. They come as a package with the bayonet, hammerstall, flashguard, and sling for $595.00.

My quail gun is a 24g SXS (original). I use 20g components,makes for good tight seal. It is light and fast, even with the 31" tubes.

Hey Rusty, I have both, same gun,nw trade gun long story, anyway the .62 is great for shot and serious large game but if used on the range or a match by the end of the day you get a little sore. the .54 is great for small game and and range. being smaller bore the barrel is heaver-less felt recoil but I found I can tame the 62 on the range by using a solid brass ramrod (with bore guide) a few ounces makes a difference, for hunting the 62 with wood rod is easier carrying. at 300 yds the 62 is more accurate just kidding jeesh! I did have to bend the 62 to hit the same place as the 54. I also have a .45 nwtg, a smaller version of my 62 trade gun now that's a hoot weighs 3.5 lbs. but bites almost like the 62, if you can't get those nasty gouges outta your smoothbore then it's called a rifle good luck

Back