• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2011 game pics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody out there tag out their deer, bear, etc.? My working buddy won't be able to get out until the 3rd/4th wk. of Oct. so I haven't yet made it up there. Was wondering how everyone else is doing. Good luck on the season. :thumbsup:

THere won't be any pics from me this year, my hip gave out. Next year!! I have hunted every year since '74, and it's an odd feeling staying home.

unit 84 san isabel Ntl. Forest SUCKED big time for deer. We saw a total of 4 during the 9 day hunt.

Grouse season was great until the cold rainy weather moved in.
DSCN2759.jpg

I was squirrel hunting when I shot the yote. I don't normally bring my camera during the squirrel season, I wish I woulda that time though. I killed it with a 10-22 ruger at about 15-20 yrds away. The coyote was kinda scroungy and had fur missing, I think it was sick or something.It was acting kinda funny.. and seemed like it had no idea I was there. I'm stealthy..but NOT THAT stealthy!

I just took a bighorn ewe with a revolver. I was going to take my .54 GPR flinter but decided against it at 2 AM the night before the hunt. The fire danger warning sign posted where I was hunting is at "extreme". The area is covered with pine needles and very dry. I probably would have been fine with it but on an overcast morning earlier in the week while practicing I could see the "sparks" showering from the barrel at the shot. That kept bothering me all week so I figured better safe than sorry. I took the ewe at 40 yards. Other than that I have taken quite a few grouse with a longbow this year.

IMG_0104.jpg

Just got home from Colorado yesterday.

Had a fine time north of Pagosa Springs.

Saw a Bull with his small group on the first day. Easy shots at cows (I was alone) and no shot at the bull, but a good start.

No bugling.

Second day we tried a morning setup and got skunked. So we regrouped and decided to try to still hunt up the mountain.

Jumped this guy out of his bed at about 15 yds.

He stood there just long enough for me to let the .62 bark.

Down in his tracks!

I could only see his upper chest. Held high on the shoulder blade and with the incline caught a little spine.

Grabbed my partner's .58 and finished the deal.

Just about the most exciting 10 seconds of my life.

I stood there Awe struck and thankful for such good fortune.

Had him 1/4'd, boned and bagged in 2-1/2 hours.

We hunted hard for the rest of the week to find a cow but couldn't get that deal done.

A pretty quiet week bugling wise.

Made about 40 pounds of burger yesterday!!!

That's my second elk with my .62. It's a Getz barrel that I built into a sort of Beck style gun.

I jokingly state that I love my gun but that she's a demanding mistress! She's a big gal to carry around and she eats a lot!

I can tell you this . . She's really hard on the elk!

Greg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Gregory congrats on your elk.What kind of load did you use on him?Griz

Back