• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2012 Muzzleloader season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I have officialy finished my 2012 muzzleloader season. I already posted my Colorado Doe hunt, now its time to update you all on Bull elk and Buck deer hunts.

Well my ML bull elk tag was a bust. I only saw 2 legal bulls. The first was well after shooting light (so not so legal) and the other was 160 yards away with only a few minutes left on the last day. Oh well! I hunted some awesome country!

Elkhunt2012a.jpg

I had a great time with my buddy and his brother. They both took bulls. Here is a picture of my buddies trophy with my rifle,and pouch and a couple of grouse in camp.

EF2012bull4.jpg

As for my Buck tag, it was also a bust. I saw a couple of nice bucks but was unable to get any shots. I did do a lot of squirrel hunting with my .45, so I had a blast. I ended up taking 4 squirrels, 2 with my .45 and 2 with my newly converted to flint .32. All head shots!! Woohoo!! We had an awesome dinner of Squirrel Jumbalya!! Can you say Yum!!!

Gilasquirrel2012.jpg

I had a great time with friends and so I consider both hunts a great success!

Hope you all have great success on your hunts!!

Keep yer nose in the wind!!!

Nothing better than hunting buddy's to share the adventure with :grin: It ain't about tagging out.

Thats some real pretty country you have out there!! :surrender: I would consider any hunt out there a good one! And sharing it with some friends makes it even better. BTW that sure is a funny looking Rack on that Elk! Wonder what kind of gene's it had to do that?

Any hunt that good times are had and you can come back in one piece is a successful hunt.

Looks like ya had yerself a good ol' time. Maybe next season, nudge, nudge. I'd make a good hunting partner if you're interested. :wink:

jrmflintlock - that is definitely some breathtakingly spectacular country you were hunting in! Thanks for sharing the details of a great time in the wilderness and the superb photos. What are the details on the jeager?

Such beautiful country to hunt in. I'd say the hunt was an unqualified success, not just for game, but for the fun and adventure you both enjoyed. :thumbsup:

Time off, good friends, beautiful country, yes the hunt was a sucess. Cant get them all the time. But there is always the next year and the planning for it. Good luck to you

armakiller said:
that sure is a funny looking Rack on that Elk! Wonder what kind of gene's it had to do that?

Sure was!! From what we can tell though it was not Genetic. It looked like he damaged the pedicle at some point and the antler just started growing funky. alot of mass and length!! Good genes to pass on. He was a herd bull with about 20 cows. He had no hair on his belly so he must have passed on his genes to alot of cows!! :shocked2:

We had a blast!!!

snowdragon said:
Northeast part of the state? Or is it a secret? :wink: Bill

The bull hunt was in unit 52 (Carson NF)and the deer hunt was in unit 24 (Gila NF).

Probably look at other units next year for bull. not quite the elk numbers there used to be. To wait 5-6 years and only see 2 bulls is a long time to wait. As far as the deer, it was one of the leftover tags, I did not draw my choice units so i bought one during the "online fire sale" I would do it again if I did not draw my choice units. At least I got to chase deer with the smokepole and had a great time. There are deer down there just not the numbers. I saw one 3x3 that was at least 28 inches wide!! Nice mature buck!

Dixie Flinter said:
jrmflintlock - What are the details on the jeager?

Thanks, I did have a great time on both hunts.

The jeager is a .54 TVM that I purchased from a lady on another forum. made by J. Garner. It is one killing machine when the time comes! It has helped me bring home 2 bulls and 2 bucks. Every single one DRT with one shot. 80 grians of FFF behind a .535 hand cast ball!

Back