• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2020 Deer Hunting Chronicle Day 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a cold morning around low 40's. It is extraordinarily quiet and still. This could be a good day for deer. After getting cleaned up I add an extra layer of clothing. My traditional outerwear is taking a back-seat to practicality today. I don't have a traditional set-up for cold weather. I do have some green wood pants from the 1950's but I left them home. I have a black wool poncho with accents but it is not rifle friendly. My Mexican blanket capote is pretty thin and does nothing to stop the wind - but there isn't any wind this morning, so it will do as the outer-most layer. Now I have deer color on me so I need to put a blaze orange hat band on and a put a blaze orange vest into both back pockets, just stuffed in there so I have an orange butt. I pull the rifle from the case and look it over. All seems well. I wipe the frizzen, pan and flint with a dry patch. I'm not going to prime until 1) I can see and 2) I am actively expecting deer to show up. Off I go. My first stop is a pinch-point where deer leave their bedding area and funnel out into the more open wooded area to feed. The morning is slowly going by but there is a hint of movement in front. About 5-minutes later a red squirrel makes its way into the little opening I am watching. Soon, he or she is joined by another one. These squirrels are busy digging and eating. About a half-hour has passed and suddenly both squirrels break into a run in the same direction. I know something is coming and has spooked them. I see what I can discern as a deer in the heavy brush off to the left. I can see a dark spot, two legs, a sliver of white that occasionally moves and a sporadic ear flick. At one point a branch seems to move and I realize it is actually antlers. This buck is hung up over there. We are in a "stand-off" for over 20-minutes. At the 20-minute mark I see a tail go up and then a rump hustle into the brush. I wait another hour and then make a sweeping circle back to my starting point.

Back at camp I heat some coffee and oatmeal. I have warmed up and so has the outside air, to probably the mid 50's. I start thinking about the rifle and end up with doubt about the load that has now been sitting in the barrel for a day or two or three. I don't actually remember. I set up a target at just 60 yards. That is the closest large tree for a backstop. I kind of make like I am on the hunt. I prime and ready the rifle and walk aimlessly around my campsite for a minute. Then I shoulder the rifle, pull the frizzen stall and pull the cock. I focus the front sight, then set the back trigger. I concentrate and without conscious thought the rifle fires. The moment the smoke clears I can see the white splatter around my "ball" hole (as opposed to bullet hole). 5 O'Clock on the 1-inch red bullseye that sits in the center of the black 8-inch circle surrounding it. Well that's good news but now I might as well clean this rifle too. I have a little bottle that contains windex, murphys soap and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I wet a few patches and swab until they are nearly clean. Now dry patches and finally one slightly oily patch. I let it rest for a while and I do the same. After what seemed like a short 1/2 hour, I complete the cleaning and loading sequence. Wipe the flint, pan and frizzen with a dry patch, one alcohol patch on the barrel. Load powder, and PRB. Ready.

Afternoon seems early because there is dim light today due to low cloud cover and no day moon. I head to the area where the young man told me the deer come from. I settle in for the rest of this day. A bird glides along the top of the trees just inches from the top branches. Suddenly it drops to the ground as if it flew into a brick wall. I am perplexed. The bird hops around a little and then lifts off. There is something hanging from its talons. I thinks it was a sparrow hawk but I'm not sure. It seemed too small to be a redtail. I'm not sure what it grabbed but I now realize the whole stunt was intentional and ended up productive. If only I can have such luck. Steak for dinner sounds pretty good right now. When the show is over and I clear my thoughts I notice the light has really dissipated. Just 10-minutes later this day comes to an end. I can't do this much longer, I am usually done by the 12th and here it is the 15th (I think). I did start late but usually I set aside 12 days but don't end up using all of them. Most years I'm done by day 5 or 6 and that might be two deer. I will give it one more.... or two ......
TBC

A few years ago Woolrich(it may have been Cabelas) reissued their red and black plaid hunting coat. It was lined with gotten. Real comfortable. I killed alot of deer in n mine

Back