• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making cane/bamboo powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie1105

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy All,

I was able to get some naturally dried cane segments from near my pond. I figured it would be fun to make some fixed powder measures out of them. Does anyone have tips for removing the bit of dried tissue from the hollow inside of the segments? I figure it needs to be sanded a bit on the inside to make it smooth. Also is there a preferred way of finishing them to preserve them or do people mostly just use them as is?

Happy to have a fun side project. I’m not a master craftsman so thanks for any tips anyone can provide!

Howdy All,

I was able to get some naturally dried cane segments from near my pond. I figured it would be fun to make some fixed powder measures out of them. Does anyone have tips for removing the bit of dried tissue from the hollow inside of the segments? I figure it needs to be sanded a bit on the inside to make it smooth. Also is there a preferred way of finishing them to preserve them or do people mostly just use them as is?

Happy to have a fun side project. I’m not a master craftsman so thanks for any tips anyone can provide!
A round file works pretty good, you can also take a small dowel rod and cut a slot in it, put some sand paper in the slot, chuck it up in a drill and sand the inside, doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.

Howdy All,

How 'bout a Dremel tool? This is a neat project! Let us know how it goes! Like the idea!!

How 'bout a Dremel tool? This is a neat project! Let us know how it goes! Like the idea!!
Dremel tool would probably be the fastest & easiest but I don’t have one on hand. Since it’s just a side project I’m trying to avoid unnecessary purchases haha. Thanks for the idea though!

Here’s one I made along with a vent pick and turnscrew.
116108EB-058E-487D-BAEA-10813BE3BC7D.jpeg

Back