• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO2/compressed air to clear flash channel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why not - they both do the same thing? The only issue I see would be if there is oil residue in the flash channel. The popping off of some caps would "burn off" any LIGHT oil residue whereas the compressed air would just spread it around.:dunno:;)

Maybe, but a cap produces heat as apposed to CO2 expansion is cold. And a cap is one less thing to mess with, you use them anyways.

I'm sure that would work. Myself, I look for the simplest solution to problems. I'll say first off that clear ignition channels have not been a problem for me. It starts with how you finished the job when you last cleaned the rifle. I'll describe my cleaning procedure first. You probably don't need "lessons" on this but if you are having problems with first shot reliability then it might be helpful.

1. Not always, depends on where I am; put a plug of some kind over the nipple and fill the barrel with water. Leave it sit for a "while". A "while" can be a cold soda, beer or cup of coffee. 😀 I seal the nipple with a vacuum line plug readily available at the auto parts store.

2. Pour the water out out and remove the nipple and "clean out screw" if there is one ( this seems to be controversial here on the forum. Apparently some people can't remove and replace a screw without complications). The the nipple and screw into your cleaning bucket of water and leave them there while you pump water through the barrel repeatedly. I tend to wear out two or three patches during this process.

3. Wipe the barrel with two or three dry patches to get as much moisture out as possible.

4. Pour a bit of denatured alcohol I the barrel. Doesn't take much. Run a dry patch or two in and out rapidly. It blows the alcohol out and takes any residual moisture with it.

5. Set the barrel aside and clean up your lock and stock.

6. By now the alcohol in the barrel is pretty much evaporated. Use a SMALL amount of your preferred protectant on the bore.

7. Retrieve your nipple and screw from the bucket and dry them. Blow through the nipple. Put a tiny bit of anti seize on the threads and replace.

So, now the barrel is clean and has a minimal amount of bore protectant in it. When I'm on a hunt I repeat the alcohol rinse the day before loading just in case I overdid the bore protectant. Although, I don't do that for a range session and don't have failure to fire.

Except for the cup of coffee, I can do this whole process in about the same time it takes to type this on my phone!

Back