• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both have them Ed. Sometimes they come off when you skin them out.
Thanks, Tom. I don’t doubt they both have them. However my thinking is perhaps this bad taste thing might have more to do with fox squirrels than gray squirrels. I won’t eat another fox squirrel due to the musky stink odor. I had enough of them years ago. I’m also wondering that considering fox squirrels are larger than gray squirrels that perhaps those glands are larger?

Perhaps some of those glands did come off with the hide? However, I did not find the first large gland like was shown on the video. What I did find were small and not really round. Kind of like a blob. Again I’m wondering if the salt water and time shrunk them down.

I’ll know more the next time.

Last edited:
I would like to thank JimK and ETipp for the use of the coning tool. I read about and watched videos on coning the muzzle. Not quit sure I wanted to do it or not. After reading more about it and talking to Ed, I decided to give it a try.
Following the instructions, that, Joe Woods Included it a very simple process. I coned it last Sunday and shot it today.
The accuracy was a concern of mine, trusting the results of others I found out it did not effect my rifle in accuracy.
It was nice to just thumb the dall and patch into the muzzle and go straight to the ramrod and send her home. If your thinking about I suggest you do it, with no worries about the accuracy.

Thank you Jimk.
Thank you ETipp.
Fellow forum members helping each other. 😉👍

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML

I would like to thank JimK and ETipp for the use of the coning tool. I read about and watched videos on coning the muzzle. Not quit sure I wanted to do it or not. After reading more about it and talking to Ed, I decided to give it a try.
Following the instructions, that, Joe Woods Included it a very simple process. I coned it last Sunday and shot it today.
The accuracy was a concern of mine, trusting the results of others I found out it did not effect my rifle in accuracy.
It was nice to just thumb the dall and patch into the muzzle and go straight to the ramrod and send her home. If your thinking about I suggest you do it, with no worries about the accuracy.

Thank you Jimk.
Thank you ETipp.
Fellow forum members helping each other. 😉👍

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML
Glad it worked out for you and you are happy with it. I’m sold on coning a barrel of a round ball ML. I do want to cone both of mine a bit more and then cone my .54 GPR. Certainly beats the heck out of packing around a short starter.

The fewer reloading steps the better in the woods during a hunt.

I received a little package last week, and it was from my Feral Brother, Tom (Snakebit) . Opened her up and to my surprise it was a Bad A** squirrel call.

It sounded so much better than any other squirrel call hat I've heard.

I do like to carry a squirrel call. I comes I'm handy for sure. When I sit in and amongst a saw palmetto patch they'll be moving g around on the ground and ya can't necessarily see them for a clean shot. So a small squeeze or quick bump of the call cupped in your hand will get them little critters to jump up on a nearby tree and look around.

Thank Tom. I really dig my new call. I will use it for sure.

Take Care Stay Safe

Feral Brother

Attachments

• 20240914_120615.jpg
    20240914_120615.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240911_084758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240911_084758_Chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That’s great. You did good, bro.

Is that a Lyman 57 peep and front hood sight?

I have a GPR just like it. Love the ML but not so much the weight. IMO, it’s the only downside to a GPR but it is doable.

Last year I thought I’d give mine a go at squirrels. I downloaded it to, I think, 30 grains of 3F. Shot it and got it sighted in well then took it to the woods the next morning. I found out real quick like that after packing my Crockett rifle around these steep hillsides for a few months my GPR felt like it weighed a ton. I had my chance at one squirrel but when I tried to get a bead on it, I was surprised that I couldn’t see the front sight even though it was painted white. The woods was dark that morning but I attribute most of that to bad vision. That was the extent of using my GPR for squirrel hunting last year.

With that said, I did not give up hope. I even wrote down the number of clicks for my peep sight to be lowered and raised back for deer hunting. This season it’s been on my mind as well. So the desire is still there.

The one thing that has held me back is no longer a factor. Now it’s simply a matter of waiting for cataracts surgery on both eyes. After that I will reassess. I’m praying that my old and damaged eyes will be restored to normal vision, considering I’m paying a lot to get the best of the best lenses installed.

Also, I have installed a finer front bead from Marble Arms on my beloved GPR. This should help tremendously for smaller targets such as squirrels plus still work well for deer hunting. So, the desire is there and I am working towards it.

Really wanting to kill a few squirrels with my GPR. I’d absolutely like to bark one just cuz. Have you ever barked a squirrel?

Again, congrats on the first one of the season.
The front site is a Lyman globe site and the back site is one I make myself. I’ve probably taken 3 dozen squirrels over the years with the GPR. The weight doesn’t bother me that much. When I get tired of spot and stalking, I just set down by a tree or on a log and rest. I usually carry a backpack and that weighs more than the GPR.

Ed, going back to one of your posts. You pointed out that you noticed the squirrels bypassing certain hickory trees to get to other ones. I noticed out back that there are three hickories that the squirrels hit hard, so I walked around and looked at other hickories. Some had no buds or signs of any nuts, some had nuts the size of a big acorn. Others had nuts not quit as big as the 3 trees they hit hardest. Different stages of maturity.

Maybe I don't know for sure.

Well I picked up my rifle today I’m very very happy with it. Brian had sighted it in and then installed a piece of fiber optic on the front sight. He knew I was going to do it so went ahead and did it for me. After playing with his new litter of beagle puppies I was off to the range.

I started with the same load as my kibler. 30 gns of 3f, .350 ball and .020 pillow ticking. I was in the bull with all 5 at 25 yards but a tad low. Bumped the powder charge up to 35 and it was right on. Shot good at 50 too.

I did have to up the amount of powder in the pan. I got a few flashes and no charge ignition. It’s good with more powder in the pan. The kibler never does that and doesn’t need much in the pan.

The lock is a large Siler from chambers. Rice 38” barrel with round bottom grooves. The stock wood I got from Allen Martin. Only cost me $50. I’m pleasantly surprised with how much figure in it. I didn’t want a fancy piece in case I messed it up.

This is the first ml I’ve had without double set triggers. I think I’m going to like that.

Over all I couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Well I picked up my rifle today I’m very very happy with it. Brian had sighted it in and then installed a piece of fiber optic on the front sight. He knew I was going to do it so went ahead and did it for me. After playing with his new litter of beagle puppies I was off to the range.

I started with the same load as my kibler. 30 gns of 3f, .350 ball and .020 pillow ticking. I was in the bull with all 5 at 25 yards but a tad low. Bumped the powder charge up to 35 and it was right on. Shot good at 50 too.

I did have to up the amount of powder in the pan. I got a few flashes and no charge ignition. It’s good with more powder in the pan. The kibler never does that and doesn’t need much in the pan.

The lock is a large Siler from chambers. Rice 38” barrel with round bottom grooves. The stock wood I got from Allen Martin. Only cost me $50. I’m pleasantly surprised with how much figure in it. I didn’t want a fancy piece in case I messed it up.

This is the first ml I’ve had without double set triggers. I think I’m going to like that.

Over all I couldn’t be happier.
Left group 30 grains, right 35.View attachment 348767
Wowser, that’s not only a fine looking ML but a darn accurate one as well. A big congrats to you, Jim. That smile says it all.

My thinking is it’s going to be a real squirrel killer.

Things are looking promising. Took the dog for a walk in the woods a few minutes ago. The pictures are in the backyard right at the edge of my woods. The scene is the same all the way back as far as we walked. Looks like an acorn explosion.

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_174536410.jpg
    IMG_20240915_174536410.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240915_174514024.jpg
    IMG_20240915_174514024.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240915_174457186.jpg
    IMG_20240915_174457186.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, Tom. I don’t doubt they both have them. However my thinking is perhaps this bad taste thing might have more to do with fox squirrels than gray squirrels. I won’t eat another fox squirrel due to the musky stink odor. I had enough of them years ago. I’m also wondering that considering fox squirrels are larger than gray squirrels that perhaps those glands are larger?

Perhaps some of those glands did come off with the hide? However, I did not find the first large gland like was shown on the video. What I did find were small and not really round. Kind of like a blob. Again I’m wondering if the salt water and time shrunk them down.

I’ll know more the next time.
The ones on Fox squirrels are bigger. They are in the same areas on both. The ones under the front legs are more noticeable, grayish booger looking things that sometimes come off when you take the hide off. The back ones are under the skin. On the back legs, behind the knee, run your knife longways behind the knee. You can't miss it. As far as eating Fox squirrels, those jokers definitely get the pressure pot treatment, if not it's like trying to eat an old leather shoe.

I'd take pictures, but my hands are kinda messy when breaking them down.

I received a little package last week, and it was from my Feral Brother, Tom (Snakebit) . Opened her up and to my surprise it was a Bad A** squirrel call.

It sounded so much better than any other squirrel call hat I've heard.

I do like to carry a squirrel call. I comes I'm handy for sure. When I sit in and amongst a saw palmetto patch they'll be moving g around on the ground and ya can't necessarily see them for a clean shot. So a small squeeze or quick bump of the call cupped in your hand will get them little critters to jump up on a nearby tree and look around.

Thank Tom. I really dig my new call. I will use it for sure.

Take Care Stay Safe

Feral Brother
Don't mention it brother! Was my pleasure.

Back