• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a picture of the one in Georgia. Not the greatest picture but…
7C98BDAA-551E-4804-8A36-02673D5A05EF.jpeg

I have seen black squirrels here in SE CT. There is an local population of them where 3 out of five squirrels are black. On the other hand, I have only seen one white squirrel. Don't know if it was an albino, but it was entirely white.

We have these black Aberts squirrels. They live in the ponderosa pines. I'm not sure how they nest. I've never seen one near anything that looks like a nest. When you catch them on the ground they will go all the way to the top of a ponderosa. Especially if the trees are spread out so they can't travel tree to tree.

Only killed a couple but gave them to family members who said they eat just fine.

f9bfc5bcd6b58ade4a2d3f3bb836201a-2700446857_copy_600x663.jpg

I almost exclusively hunt tree rats with air guns. When I use BP it's a light load in my .45 KY rifle with PRB. But, I also make sure there is a backstop. I hope to have a BP scatter gun one day.

For calls, I usually just imitate a chatter with my mouth similar to a raccoon. Or, make a kissing action on my hand to imitate their whistles. They will usually call back. Then I just either sit tight for a shot, or move in closer if needed.

I prefer just sitting under some light cover. But I will spot and stalk if called for.

So far, the squirrels are thick in NW Alabama this year.

We have these black Aberts squirrels. They live in the ponderosa pines. I'm not sure how they nest. I've never seen one near anything that looks like a nest. When you catch them on the ground they will go all the way to the top of a ponderosa. Especially if the trees are spread out so they can't travel tree to tree.

Only killed a couple but gave them to family members who said they eat just fine.

View attachment 281957
Those are absolutely beautiful.

View attachment 281957
He one cool looking squirrel.
I'm not sure I'd shot him.🤔

Looks like the spring 20204 squirrel season for KY has been posted. This may be preliminary but best I can tell It runs from the 3rd Saturday in May (which should be the 18th) and ends the 3rd Friday in June (which should be the 21st).

So if this is correct, looks like we will have a little over a month for spring squirrel season.

If memory serves me correctly, last spring, which was the first time I have ever hunted squirrels during the spring, was some pretty tough hunting overall. It was fairly difficult to find squirrels at first but as more buds and leaves began to pop out, things improved. The first couple of weeks, by accident, I found squirrels were eating tulip maple leaves/flowers.

The last day of spring season was a real hoot. That's the first time I got into a bunch of squirrels chasing and mating. It was high action, to the degree that I have not seen since.
June of 2022 was the first time I've traveled out of state to hunt squirrels. My son and I took in Kentucky's Spring Small Game Season in June of that year. Our experience is as you've described above.. Difficult hunting for the most part with no nuts to gnaw on. But they were in the treetops and now I know what they were feeding on from your input. Those trees are tall for an open sighted .32. Once in a while one would be low enough for me to miss. The last morning was a hoot with all the running and chasing in full swing. It was an amazing time to be in the woods. We took a few that morning before leaving for the Cloverdale Nationals archery shoot.

We went again in May of last year and it was as if all the squirrels left the area. Only shot three between us and didn't seen but a couple others. June toward the second weekend was much better, in our experience.

Thanks for posting the 2024 season dates. Not sure if we will head back down this year, but if the Man Child is willing I could use the time camping in the big woods chasing your squirrels once again.

June of 2022 was the first time I've traveled out of state to hunt squirrels. My son and I took in Kentucky's Spring Small Game Season in June of that year. Our experience is as you've described above.. Difficult hunting for the most part with no nuts to gnaw on. But they were in the treetops and now I know what they were feeding on from your input. Those trees are tall for an open sighted .32. Once in a while one would be low enough for me to miss. The last morning was a hoot with all the running and chasing in full swing. It was an amazing time to be in the woods. We took a few that morning before leaving for the Cloverdale Nationals archery shoot.

We went again in May of last year and it was as if all the squirrels left the area. Only shot three between us and didn't seen but a couple others. June toward the second weekend was much better, in our experience.

Thanks for posting the 2024 season dates. Not sure if we will head back down this year, but if the Man Child is willing I could use the time camping in the big woods chasing your squirrels once again.
I hope you can make it back down this year. If I could choose any time of the short spring season it would be the second or third week of June prior to the closing of spring season. If it does in fact close on June 21st, then the weekend of 15th and 16th might be good I would reckon. The 16th is Fathers day this year. Either way, the closer to the 21st is what I would focus on if at all possible.

Indeed, most of our trees are tall here. It can be a real challenge to hit a squirrel up near the top when using open sights. And that’s during good light conditions. From my experience it is best to be patient and wait for squirrels to come back down lower. That’s IF you can get one to sit still long enough to get a shot. Much of the time they will jump from up high to another tree and will not get much, if any, any lower.

Patience is definitely key.

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the one in Georgia. Not the greatest picture but…View attachment 281809
WE have a few like that one here cental SC, maybe one in ten. Most look like this one I killed in 1977 or so. A verry few ar a dark salt and pepper with red you could almost call black and red.
I like ti sit and wait for them and if they don't show up, slow stalk to another stot to sit and wait some more.
No shortage here but no Terrible excess either.
hope to post a few fresh picks soon.

Attachments

• fox ssquirrel.jpg
    fox ssquirrel.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Today was a big day for me. I’ve been wanting a fox squirrel since I started hunting squirrels with a muzzleloader 4 years ago. I’m in PA and we have them in pockets but they’re more common in western PA than where I am.

I’ve shot a couple dozen over the years with 22’s but wanted one more with my flintlock.

I have to travel to hunt them. They’re not in my county.

Some friends hunt a farm in an adjoining county and they have them. I’ve been invited three times in the last two weeks to hunt it. Two weeks ago I got a 15 yard gimme shots and choked. The next trip didn’t see any.

That leads me up to this morning. Guys were going up to hunt for awhile until a snowstorm hit at 11. Nino suggested I hunt down by his ladder stand in the creek bottom. The first 5 or 6 squirrels I saw were fox squirrels. I finally got a shot at one and missed. After awhile another one went up the same tree and dropped when I shot. I was very excited.

I will mount this squirrel and go back to hunting grays. Although they’re talking about hunting next Saturday too. I just don’t want to shoot to many of them. We’ll see.

thanks for reading as it’s nice to have like minded people to share this with. Some friends laugh when I tell them how excited I get over a squirrel
IMG_3110.jpeg
IMG_3114.jpeg

Today was a big day for me. I’ve been wanting a fox squirrel since I started hunting squirrels with a muzzleloader 4 years ago. I’m in PA and we have them in pockets but they’re more common in western PA than where I am.

I’ve shot a couple dozen over the years with 22’s but wanted one more with my flintlock.

Some friends hunt a farm in an adjoining county and they have them. I’ve been invited three times in the last two weeks to hunt it. Two weeks ago I got a 15 yard gimme shots and choked. The next trip didn’t see any.

That leads me up to this morning. Guys were going up to hunt for awhile until a snowstorm hit at 11. Nino suggested I hunt down by his ladder stand in the creek bottom. The first 5 or 6 squirrels I saw were fox squirrels. I finally got a shot at one and missed. After awhile another one went up the same tree and dropped when I shot. I was very excited.

I will mount this squirrel and go back to hunting grays. Although they’re talking about hunting next Saturday too. I just don’t want to shoot to many of them. We’ll see.

thanks for reading as it’s nice to have like minded people to share this with. Some friends laugh when I tell them how excited I get over a squirrelView attachment 283001View attachment 283002
That’s a big ole Fox squirrel you got there, Jim. Nice looking rifle as well. Congrats to you.

WE have a few like that one here cental SC, maybe one in ten. Most look like this one I killed in 1977 or so. A verry few ar a dark salt and pepper with red you could almost call black and red.
I like ti sit and wait for them and if they don't show up, slow stalk to another stot to sit and wait some more.
No shortage here but no Terrible excess either.
hope to post a few fresh picks soon.
Interesting color on that squirrel. Nice mount as well.

thanks for reading as it’s nice to have like minded people to share this with. Some friends laugh when I tell them how excited I get over a squirrelView attachment 283001View attachment 283002
Love ur enthusiasm about mounting your squirrels. Surprised that the. 32 prb doesn't tear the hide up too bad on such a small game animal. Your work posted is phenomenal. Never seen a squirrel mount so lifelike.
If I have the opportunity to bag another this season I might just look you up.

Love ur enthusiasm about mounting your squirrels. Surprised that the. 32 prb doesn't tear the hide up too bad on such a small game animal. Your work posted is phenomenal. Never seen a squirrel mount so lifelike.
If I have the opportunity to bag another this season I might just look you up.
Well I appreciate the compliment. Actually I shot him with a 36 and it’s just one hole in and out. I’m just glad I didn’t hit him in the head. Wouldn’t be mounting him then.

Back