• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whooaaa! That has the feel of terrorism. 😈 :eek:
I can assure everyone that there’s no nefarious intent whatsoever. Just an old squirrel hunter that likes to take along a little something the chew on during those all day hunts. I wait until cool weather to take along anything that might spoil.

My plans are to try making some deer jerky and dried fish (flatheads) as well. It’s on my to do list.

Well look what the cats drug in. You’ve been MIA for a while and I was wondering if you were still kicking.
Thanks for the concern brother Ed. Had family in from out of town. So I was playing pitmaster and bar tender for a week. Mother nature looks like she's going to give us a week of no rain (allegedly), next week, so I'm going to hay the yard and make some smoke with the critter getters.

Thanks to your photo shoot for food magazine, you got me thinking maybe I will smoke my first squirrels of the year, instead of fry them. Maybe come down to a coin toss.

Thanks for the concern brother Ed. Had family in from out of town. So I was playing pitmaster and bar tender for a week. Mother nature looks like she's going to give us a week of no rain (allegedly), next week, so I'm going to hay the yard and make some smoke with the critter getters.

Thanks to your photo shoot for food magazine, you got me thinking maybe I will smoke my first squirrels of the year, instead of fry them. Maybe come down to a coin toss.
When done properly, smoked squirrels are awesome. Those little front legs are like mini buffalo wings from the tree.

Wife ordered me one of those small pressure cookers yesterday. Hopefully, I’ll get to do an improved rerun of a few of three week's ago. Only this time with tender fried squirrels.

When done properly, smoked squirrels are awesome. Those little front legs are like mini buffalo wings from the tree.

Wife ordered me one of those small pressure cookers yesterday. Hopefully, I’ll get to do an improved rerun of a few of three week's ago. Only this time with tender fried squirrels.
I'm going to give it a shot. Those you smoked looked damn good.

I think you're gonna like how tender those little pieces of chicken of the tree come out after running them through your pressure pot. Doesn't really take too much extra time either.

I think you're gonna like how tender those little pieces of chicken of the tree come out after running them through your pressure pot. Doesn't really take too much extra time either.
Tom, a lot of it has to do with the marinade. I have my own I make up and it makes smoked meat so darn good. Best part is, its easy.

Tom, a lot of it has to do with the marinade. I have my own I make up and it makes smoked meat so darn good. Best part is, its easy.
Heck yeah. I make my own rubs and marinades for different meats I smoke too. I'm kinda looking forward to coming up with one for chicken of the tree.🤣

?? For both of you guys.

When you use the pressure cooker do you saute or sear the meat?? I have an instant pot and I'm thinking to try squirrels in it. I have a charcoal BBQ that does a good imitation of a smoker. I'm thinking the same methods could work for grouse which will be on the agenda come 9/1!

"Wife ordered me one of those small pressure cookers yesterday."

Dang, hope it didn't put you on a watchlist! 🤣

?? For both of you guys.

When you use the pressure cooker do you saute or sear the meat?? I have an instant pot and I'm thinking to try squirrels in it. I have a charcoal BBQ that does a good imitation of a smoker. I'm thinking the same methods could work for grouse which will be on the agenda come 9/1!

No Cruiser. I just put enough water in to cover the squirrels (parted out), let the hulla dancer on top do her thing for 10-12 minutes, dredge them and fry them as you would chicken. Your milage may vary due to your altitude.

?? For both of you guys.

If you have a kettle style grill Cruiser, you can smoke about anything a dedicated smoker can do.

?? For both of you guys.

Mike, It doesn’t take all that long to get the smoked flavor into meat. Once it’s in there then that’s all that’s needed. In fact, I’ve learned that too much smoke (duration) can be counterproductive and lead to a bad taste.

In your particular situation with a charcoal/BBQ style grill, getting the smoke flavor into the meat will not be a problem. However, maintaining a constant heat range may be a bit challenging. I find that it requires a good 3 hours for squirrels. I have no idea how that might work out on grouse.

Personally, IMO, you have the two best of the best choices up in the mountains west of your home. Blue grouse and snowshoe rabbits are at the very top of the good flavor tree. However, fried is my choice for the both of those.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back