• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .22 that was my dad’s. I believe the gun is at least as old as me,66. Last year I shot 11 squirrels with it. It’s going to my oldest grandson one of these days.

Dad’s been gone 18 years. He’d be happy to know that old rifle is still killing squirrels. I wish I could post a picture here of it as I refinished it last winter. But that’s a no no!
I have my grandad's Marlin 39 A. Was made I wanna say 1953. Lot of hurt feelings when Grandma gave it to me. My son killed his first squirrel with it. I think he was 9. I told him it was his rifle now.

lol-spit-take.gif

Oh, gee golly. Ole ETipp has been out scouting again. This time I went via my boat. Let me tell ya, someone opened up the floodgates and the monsoons came right in. Got my old skinny arse wet. Not just once, but twice. However, I still love it. A little water, no, a lot of water in this case, won’t hurt anyone.

I was able to scout two areas along the river. I only saw one squirrel but it was thundering big time, so no wonder. I think the squirrels were smarter than me today.

All in all, there’s promise in both of those areas I would reckon. I found several den trees and a couple of drays. I also could see plenty of hickory nuts up in some trees overhanging the water, or, up on the bank a short ways.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh, gee golly. Ole ETipp has been out scouting again. This time I went via my boat. Let me tell ya, someone opened up the floodgates and the monsoons came right in. Got my old skinny arse wet. Not just once, but twice. However, I still love it. A little water, no, a lot of water in this case, won’t hurt anyone.

I was able to scout two areas along the river. I only saw one squirrel but it was thundering big time, so no wonder. I think the squirrels were smarter than me today.

All in all, there’s promise in both of those areas I would reckon. I found several den trees and a couple of drays. I also could see plenty of hickory nuts up in some trees overhanging the water, or, up on the bank a short ways.
Ed,

Sounds like you found a promising place for squirrel hunting. What's the river like, any smallmouth?

Jeff

Ed,

Sounds like you found a promising place for squirrel hunting. What's the river like, any smallmouth?

Jeff
Yes, plenty of all kinds of fish. However, Lake Cumberland and the Cumberland River has their own ways that can differ from other locations. It can be difficult to figure it out. I’m not a bass fisherman but I have caught plenty of them. Just not my thing. I’m a die hard Flathead man.

Now a to be clear. I do not want to paint a false picture of this area. It’s not as much way out yonder as I like. That’s down in the Big SouthFork, which is on my to do list to Scout while trying to find a good location for our possible R O N D I.

I have a busy week planned.

Are not truck tailgates the best ever was? I use mine for all sorts of jobs. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, plenty of all kinds of fish. However, Lake Cumberland and the Cumberland River has their own ways that can differ from other locations. It can be difficult to figure it out. I’m not a bass fisherman but I have caught plenty of them. Just not my thing. I’m a die hard Flathead man.

Now a to be clear. I do not want to paint a false picture of this area. It’s not as much way out yonder as I like. That’s down in the SouthFork, which is on my to do list to Scout while trying to find a good location for our possible R O N D I.

I have a busy week planned.
I think we know, if you say it's a good place for squirrel, we could bet our paycheck on it.

I think we know, if you say it's a good place for squirrel, we could bet our paycheck on it.
Thank you but as of now, I still do not know for sure being it’s all new areas. But I’m working on it.

It’s still early. We have another two months plus until squirrels stupid season.

I’m on a mission. 😁

Last edited:
I’m not a bass fisherman but I have caught plenty of them. Just not my thing. I’m a die hard Flathead man.
Bass, yuck 🤮 Catfish yummy 😋

Just spent a few days camped at 10,700' amongst spruce growth that would normally be teeming with pine squirrels. Only saw one and it was a runt. Noticed this previously at higher elevations but have also seen good populations at those heights in other places. It's a puzzle.

Bass, yuck 🤮 Catfish yummy 😋

Just spent a few days camped at 10,700' amongst spruce growth that would normally be teeming with pine squirrels. Only saw one and it was a runt. Noticed this previously at higher elevations but have also seen good populations at those heights in other places. It's a puzzle.
If you ever get stuck having to eat bass just remember to scrape that dark lateral line off each side, wet it in a mixture of milk and beaten egg, then dredge it in a mixture of AP flour, black pepper, salt, and maybe some Cajun seasoning, then fry it up in some oil. Drain well and that is some fine eating. Or put it on a piece of foil and season with salt and pepper. Then a little lemon juice, some sliced Vidalia, and a pat of butter. Turn the foil into a pouch and throw it in coals or on the grill. Works great with cats too. I mean catfish. Or cats... It'll change your life. That's it for today's episode of hillbilly cooking with Tim.

Black bass, largemouth, etc don't really have a gamey lateral line per se - not sure what y'all are referring to. Now, white bass and striped bass do. We may be mixing up colloquial local fish names. The key to all of this is let the big ones go. Only bring the "pan sized" ones home to filet and eat, then you don't have to worry about it, and they taste better and fry up crispier. Around here they don't recommend you eat those giant big old cats, as they tend to have pesticide and chems (PFOA, etc) built up in them.

Pan sized white bass before:
214.jpg

After:
196.jpg

Bigger than those and the lateral line starts getting gamey.

Back