• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, I bring home all legal Sauger. They are the best eatin' fish in the river, regardless of size:
IMG_20210420_110154212_MP.jpg

ETA: first snakes now fish. Sorry for getting off topic, Ed! šŸ¤Ŗ

Last edited:
Bass, yuck šŸ¤® Catfish yummy šŸ˜‹

Just spent a few days camped at 10,700' amongst spruce growth that would normally be teeming with pine squirrels. Only saw one and it was a runt. Noticed this previously at higher elevations but have also seen good populations at those heights in other places. It's a puzzle.
I prefer blue cat, with flathead a close second. But spoonbill rules them all in my opinion as cats go.

But a couple good jigs, and a bucket of fatheads late spring/early fall. Slab crappie is on the menu boys! Funny how you get calls or surprise visits from fellas you haven't heard from in a while once the oil is hot and you have a nice mess of crappie fillets going in. šŸ¤”

Really? Y'all eat those? Interesting, never heard of anyone eating them, other than the roe. They are off-limits here, strictly verboten to fish for or possess in AL: LINK
When I was just a kid my granddad would buy smoked spoonbill in the little river towns along the Mississippi River.
Use to look forward to that when picked up to go camping.

Really? Y'all eat those? Interesting, never heard of anyone eating them, other than the roe. They are off-limits here, strictly verboten to fish for or possess in AL: LINK

You bet. Only ever caught 1 in my lifetime so far. No bones. Ma soaked the steaks in butter milk for several hours, then fried them. Best catfish I've ever eaten.

When I was just a kid my granddad would buy smoked spoonbill in the little river towns along the Mississippi River.
Use to look forward to that when picked up to go camping.
Those were special times and special places for us feral kids ey Fred?! A couple of those places would trade you smoked fish for any you cought for a couple bucks.

Today was the first day this year that I saw a squirrel packing a fresh hickory nut in his mouth from a tree to wherever it was he was going to. So things are getting close.

However, if these just about daily thunderstorms keep coming through, itā€™s going to be difficult. Lots of wind just about every day now from so many smaller storms. In fact, it just now cut loose againā€¦ā€¦.hard rain and wind.

Today was the first day this year that I saw a squirrel packing a fresh hickory nut in his mouth from a tree to wherever it was he was going to. So things are getting close.

However, if these just about daily thunderstorms keep coming through, itā€™s going to be difficult. Lots of wind just about every day now from so many smaller storms. In fact, it just now cut loose againā€¦ā€¦.hard rain and wind.
Same here Ed. We are getting daily storms around noon. Took me 3 days to mow. Found some apples squirrels have been eating. And of course hitting the feeders.

Same here Ed. We are getting daily storms around noon. Took me 3 days to mow. Found some apples squirrels have been eating. And of course hitting the feeders.
Iā€™m really hoping these storms subside some when season opens. These have been any time day or night. Sometimes several each day. Mostly smaller storms that move along fairly fast but not before leaving lots of rain and wind. However, we have been getting done big time storms as well.

Thatā€™ll be a good thing. Shouldnā€™t take much, Tom.
Hopefully I can get the Swiss tuned in. I know my mouth is watering for a mess of fried squirrel, sliced fresh maters, and a pan of cornbread. Gimme that, and 2 fingers of bourbon, and a Marlboro red, I'll grin at the firing squad with no blindfold.
Same here Ed. We are getting daily storms around noon. Took me 3 days to mow. Found some apples squirrels have been eating. And of course hitting the feeders

I haven't seen them, carrying them, off but I've the seen shells on my shooting bench and a couple stumps out back. The hickories ate good size and falling off pretty heavy with these afternoon and evening thunderstorms we've been getting.
A week or so ago I saw squirrels in this one hickory tree. They were out on the tips of limbs, eating something. It didn't look like they were getting the nuts. I walked over and looked, it was buds. It's the only tree I found that is budding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803_163356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_163356_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Tom. I think you will like Swiss. I prefer it, other than the additional cost. I find it to be cleaner burning and very accurate out of Mr. C.

Even the squirrels like Swiss better. Since I switched over to it, squirrels now line up and say ā€œPick me, ETippā€¦ā€¦.pick meā€. šŸ˜

Last edited:
I think you will like Swiss. I prefer it, other than the additional cost. I find it to be cleaner burning and very accurate out of Mr. C.

Even the squirrels like Swiss better. Since I switched over to it, squirrels now line up and say ā€œPick me, ETipp, pick meā€. šŸ˜
šŸ¤£

Latest posts

Back